Author Topic: Clayton RS interview  (Read 6197 times)

LightMyWay92

Re: Clayton RS interview
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't mind California overall, but that beginning "Bah-bah-Barbara. Santa Barbara" is one of the worst things they have ever done. Unbelievably bad and cheesy, and I'm amazed it got out of the early stages of the song without being laughed at by someone in the recording room.
BOOM CHA
BOOM CHA
DISCOTHEQUE
BOOM CHA
BOOM CHA
DISCOTHEQUE

'There's a fine line between clever and stupid' -Spinal Tap

California's opening was a over-the-top homage to the Beach Boys, and nothing more.
Worse than going out on stage (in a stadium no less) dressed in costumes?  Costumes for the love of God!  U2, the same band that played Red Rocks in '83 and recorded the Joshua Tree, dressed up in costumes on stage!

Guess you missed "The Fly" and MacPhisto" from the previous tour.
The Fly seemed more like an outfit that an outright costume.  It was much more "rock and roll" (for lack of a better word) than the Popmart costumes.  Macphisto was very entertaining and used sparingly.  I may be wrong, but I don't think Bono stayed in Macphisto character for longer than three or four songs.  I would have to look that up to be sure, though.  They just took all of it too far on Popmart for me I guess.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2017, 12:10:29 PM »
I don't mind California overall, but that beginning "Bah-bah-Barbara. Santa Barbara" is one of the worst things they have ever done. Unbelievably bad and cheesy, and I'm amazed it got out of the early stages of the song without being laughed at by someone in the recording room.
BOOM CHA
BOOM CHA
DISCOTHEQUE
BOOM CHA
BOOM CHA
DISCOTHEQUE

'There's a fine line between clever and stupid' -Spinal Tap

California's opening was a over-the-top homage to the Beach Boys, and nothing more.
Worse than going out on stage (in a stadium no less) dressed in costumes?  Costumes for the love of God!  U2, the same band that played Red Rocks in '83 and recorded the Joshua Tree, dressed up in costumes on stage!

Guess you missed "The Fly" and MacPhisto" from the previous tour.
The Fly seemed more like an outfit that an outright costume.  It was much more "rock and roll" (for lack of a better word) than the Popmart costumes.  Macphisto was very entertaining and used sparingly.  I may be wrong, but I don't think Bono stayed in Macphisto character for longer than three or four songs.  I would have to look that up to be sure, though.  They just took all of it too far on Popmart for me I guess.

Fair enough, I can understand that point of view.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2017, 12:12:35 PM »

I feel the same about "cockatoo," "juju man juju man," and "force quit and move to trash." Sometimes U2 feels a bit like George Lucas when he was making the prequels: Still a child, but no one tells him no.

LightMyWay92

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2017, 12:22:02 PM »

I feel the same about "cockatoo," "juju man juju man," and "force quit and move to trash." Sometimes U2 feels a bit like George Lucas when he was making the prequels: Still a child, but no one tells him no.
I think some of the stranger, seemingly ridiculous lyrics in "Breathe" are deliberately random in a James Joyce, stream of consciousness way.  The song does mention June 16th, the date when Joyce's "Ulysees" takes place. 

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2017, 12:44:58 PM »

I think some of the stranger, seemingly ridiculous lyrics in "Breathe" are deliberately random in a James Joyce, stream of consciousness way.  The song does mention June 16th, the date when Joyce's "Ulysees" takes place.

Clever and perhaps literary, yes. But also really, really bad!

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2017, 12:52:48 PM »
I like the Cockatoo line.

LightMyWay92

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2017, 01:10:39 PM »
The melody of the song trumps the lyrics, as it always does for me.

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2017, 01:14:21 PM »

Music and words work in tandem.  A pop song without words is just a meaningless instrumental.  Words maketh the song.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2017, 01:21:45 PM »

this is what I am afraid of with SOE - the lyrics get Trumped!

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2017, 03:32:53 PM »
Bono does an incredible job of creating melodies, and it's all a result from his song-writing process. The problem with a lot of the lyrical content post-Pop is that Bono forces lines into songs (see above).

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2017, 03:39:33 PM »
I think this has been taken a little too literally, when it seemed a hypothetical question.

The response Clayton gave in any case was reasonable. The song did sound a little different to everything else at the time, but it does inevitably sound dated 30 years on when comparing to modern day production sounds...

Yep.

On the other hand, you have crap like California (U2-ism: the atmospheric and sonically interesting intro), EBW (U2-ism: Chimey guitar)... you get the idea.

For the criticism that 'chimey' guitar riffs gets in these parts, a lot of people sure liked Iris off the last album.
I don't understand how chiming guitar sounds can get criticism on a U2 fan forum.  That would be like going on a prog-rock forum and complaining about songs by Yes, Genesis, etc being too long.
It was used tastefully by U2 in the 80s. However, on ATYCLB, for example, they emphasized the chimey guitar as it felt like a "back-to-basics" thing. As a result, songs like Crumbs From Your Table sound laughable. Don't take offense if you like that track, but when you compare it to... a song like WOWY, where the ringing guitar is used sparingly, Crumbs sounds awful.

LightMyWay92

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2017, 03:43:14 PM »
I think this has been taken a little too literally, when it seemed a hypothetical question.

The response Clayton gave in any case was reasonable. The song did sound a little different to everything else at the time, but it does inevitably sound dated 30 years on when comparing to modern day production sounds...

Yep.

On the other hand, you have crap like California (U2-ism: the atmospheric and sonically interesting intro), EBW (U2-ism: Chimey guitar)... you get the idea.

For the criticism that 'chimey' guitar riffs gets in these parts, a lot of people sure liked Iris off the last album.
I don't understand how chiming guitar sounds can get criticism on a U2 fan forum.  That would be like going on a prog-rock forum and complaining about songs by Yes, Genesis, etc being too long.
It was used tastefully by U2 in the 80s. However, on ATYCLB, for example, they emphasized the chimey guitar as it felt like a "back-to-basics" thing. As a result, songs like Crumbs From Your Table sound laughable. Don't take offense if you like that track, but when you compare it to... a song like WOWY, where the ringing guitar is used sparingly, Crumbs sounds awful.
For me, that's the sound of U2 (along with Bono's voice, of course), and I never really get tired of hearing it.  It can be used sparingly or it can be all over the song. 

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2017, 03:52:45 PM »

Yep.

For me, that's the sound of U2 (along with Bono's voice, of course), and I never really get tired of hearing it.  It can be used sparingly or it can be all over the song.
Well, different strokes for different folks.

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2017, 11:47:19 PM »

Yep.

I like Crumbs. And WOWY. Both great guitar playing from Edge.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2017, 02:50:26 AM »
Is U2's indecisiveness the cause of our differing opinions, or are our differing opinions the cause of their indecisiveness? ;)

They sure as hell can't please all of us, so they may as well just please themselves.