Author Topic: Streets can be placed anywhere  (Read 1306 times)

Waffles

Streets can be placed anywhere
« on: January 25, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

In this performance, it was the sixth song played. I believe the excitement when you first hear doesn't need a build up. In fact, mother and child reunion ruined any sort of build up last tour. I say put it as the first song

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
Re: Streets can be placed anywhere
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 08:18:46 PM »

In this performance, it was the sixth song played. I believe the excitement when you first hear doesn't need a build up. In fact, mother and child reunion ruined any sort of build up last tour. I say put it as the first song

I was there for both Anaheim shows in GA. That clip was a dry run for Glastonbury, in fact the whole show was, hence Streets #6.

Waffles

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 09:28:25 PM »

I was there for both Anaheim shows in GA. That clip was a dry run for Glastonbury, in fact the whole show was, hence Streets #6.

When you say "dry run" are you implying it was a bad experience? The crowd looks just as ecstatic if streets were any where else

Offline afg

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 07:52:40 AM »
This week Rolling Stone posted an interesting interview with Adam where he discusses the tour, setlist possibilities, and the Experience album.  In terms of the setlist, he admits that they haven't started working on it yet but here are a couple of interesting comments...
"I spoke to Edge a few weeks ago. He wasn't sure the show was going to start with "Streets" and go right into the album. How do you see that happening?
'We haven't really sat down and worked out the dynamics of it yet, but I suspect it would sit as the crown in the show. I think we would definitely want to open with perhaps something that is not dissimilar to the Songs of Innocence run [where we did our early 1980s songs] and get people in the mood for this thing that's coming and you give some sense of history of where it came from. Then it'll be a scene change. This is my guess. We won't know until we start playing it around quite a bit. We will either start with "Streets," or end with it, I might think, but there will be a scene change. Whether or not we go completely in sequence, we've yet to work out...'"
"I imagine one challenge in playing it in sequence is the four most famous songs are the first four. Then there's seven straight that are lesser-known to a mass audience. Doing them all in a row could be a challenge in a stadium. Do you worry about that?
'Umm I think we really have to wait and see. I think anyone that's coming to that show clearly knows that record well. What we would need to figure out is whether that's a suite of songs [and] with our new knowledge of 30 years hence we could breathe life into them in a different way, or whether we kind of bundle them together with some other songs that are thematically in keeping with those. Again, I wish I could be more positive with that, but we aren't that far down the line. We have the aspiration, but we haven't quite figured out how it'll happen. But it will happen and we always toy around and experiment until it feels right.'"

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 08:56:08 AM »
As I have said elsewhere, playing the album in sequence will challenge the band to be more thoughtful in the way they arrange the rest of the show. If they break the album up, it becomes a pretty standard Greatest Hits show with the side 2 songs as the fan rarities thrown in. Breaking up the album allows them the well-worn option of closing the main set with Streets and opening the encores with a Trump video into BTBS, with WOWY later in the encore, and I have ZERO doubt that's exactly what they would do. That's not nearly as exciting, IMO.

It will really make things easier on them if they go this route, IMO.

Offline afg

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »
I tend to agree with you.  As great as the last 7 songs are, I just don't see how they can keep the attention of the casual fan playing those in sequence... Running To Stand Still, Red Hill Mining Town, In God's Country, Trip Through Your Wires, One Tree Hill, Exit, Mothers of the Disappeared

Online Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 03:01:38 PM »
Related: Peter Gabriel played the rearranged order of So on his recent Back to Front Tour, putting In Your Eyes as the last song.  U2 could do something similar, and rearrange the tracks to end with, say, Streets.  The difference, though, is that Peter Gabriel had apparently always INTENDED to put In Your Eyes last, and was limited, I think, by the constraints of vinyl and the way putting IYE at the end would have affected the sound of the record.  Not only that, he had already released the "correct" version on CD, etc., years before the tour.  So the precedent was there to play it that way.  If U2 decide to change it, it will be strictly a reaction to the necessities of playing it live.

Offline U2_One

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • You Miss Too Much These Days If You Stop To Think
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 03:33:21 PM »
If they aren't going to start or end the concert with TJT (which would be my guess), I think going back to front with the tracklisting could be a good and workable idea. Can build to Streets especially that way. 

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 03:37:18 PM »
What I wish they would do: Open with 4-5 old songs, play the JT in sequence, closing the main set with Mothers. Encore is then wide-open.

What they will do: Break the album up, close the main set with Streets and play BTBS and WOWY in the encore.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 04:02:14 PM »
I'd like them to play the album in sequence from start to finish in a stadium, but think it's unlikely they will for the reason stated (that all the big hits are at the start of side 1, and then you have about 7 lesser-known songs).  As I said on another thread, if they started with Bullet (as they did at some shows on Lovetown) they could then end the TJT set with the 3 big hitters, and that might be an effective compromise.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 04:20:53 PM »

When you say "dry run" are you implying it was a bad experience? The crowd looks just as ecstatic if streets were any where else

Dry run means like a rehearsal....

Hang on why does it say guest next to your name??

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 12:56:26 PM »
I think this will be the transition to Streets in the upcoming shows.  It could be worse.

Offline markt

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 02:18:13 PM »
Whatever plans Willie has for lighting could have a bearing on things, especially in Europe.  They are playing outside in the UK just after the longest day of the year, it won't get dark until 9:30/10pm. 

If they go for the traditional streets lighting design then it won't have the same impact anywhere near the beginning of the set as it will be broad daylight :-).

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 05:08:22 PM »

No, not in the slightest. Anaheim shows, especially night 2, was a Glastonbury rehearsal, except with 70,000 paying U2 fans.

dry run
ˈdrī ˈrən/
nouninformal
a rehearsal of a performance or procedure before the real one.
"the president went through a dry run of his speech"

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 08:31:08 PM »
I'd love the band to come straight in with BTBS and let Edge do all the talking through a kick ar*e solo rather than Bono breaking up its momentum with a predictable narrative.
It would be unexpected and breathe new life into this song.