Author Topic: Streets can be placed anywhere  (Read 1397 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: Streets can be placed anywhere
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 10:53:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

In this performance, it was the sixth song played. I believe the excitement when you first hear doesn't need a build up. In fact, mother and child reunion ruined any sort of build up last tour. I say put it as the first song

I was there for both Anaheim shows in GA. That clip was a dry run for Glastonbury, in fact the whole show was, hence Streets #6.

When you say "dry run" are you implying it was a bad experience? The crowd looks just as ecstatic if streets were any where else

Dry run means like a rehearsal....

Hang on why does it say guest next to your name??
Somebody's banned again.  :P

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 01:55:56 PM »
Definitely think streets would work as the opener. Would pack a big punch and make total sense. The intro that builds and lends itself well. But u2 seem to think this need be kept as a weapon for later in their shows.. either in the encore.. or when they think there will be a lull in the show.. I think they have more than enough material to not worry about having to "build up to".

Where do you go after streets they say.. well..straight into ishfwilf and wow of course!

Offline ahittle

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 05:59:25 PM »
I'd like to see Streets open, red lights, all that.

But it seemed like Adam talked about opening with a spiky opening pack like I+E.

They could open with a four pack of Boy-UF material, play side 1, have a quick intermission, then play side 2, and a perusal of post-JT songs.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 04:36:50 PM »
I'd like to see Streets open, red lights, all that.

But it seemed like Adam talked about opening with a spiky opening pack like I+E.

They could open with a four pack of Boy-UF material, play side 1, have a quick intermission, then play side 2, and a perusal of post-JT songs.

Yeah, that approach would be ok. The very early stuff to open worked very well for I.e.
They definitely won't open with streets... The 80's u2 just went out and played the best set they could. The u2 of now are a little more theatrical and feel the need for some kind of narrative and story...

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 04:59:11 PM »

In this performance, it was the sixth song played. I believe the excitement when you first hear doesn't need a build up. In fact, mother and child reunion ruined any sort of build up last tour. I say put it as the first song

I was there for both Anaheim shows in GA. That clip was a dry run for Glastonbury, in fact the whole show was, hence Streets #6.

When you say "dry run" are you implying it was a bad experience? The crowd looks just as ecstatic if streets were any where else

Dry run means like a rehearsal....

Hang on why does it say guest next to your name??
Somebody's banned again.  :P
Waffles actually declared they were quitting the forum in a late night post a few days ago that was soon taken down.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:09:25 PM by ShankAsu »

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 05:02:20 PM »
I'm kind of curious why suddenly Streets is considered the gem of U2's career (or of JT anyway).  To me its a great song that is in my top 15 for the band, but i don't think the band should specifically not play the JT songs in order because they don't want Streets to open but are reserving a special spot for it.  I think it would be a great opener to the show just like it was a great opening track to the album.

Offline ahittle

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 08:20:01 AM »
It kills every time as that cathartic moment in the shows, but they could stand to shake up that narrative arc. They've used the song the same way for 25 years, and it really does determine the flow of the rest of the set and what comes after.  I would sacrifice a relatively static "story" set for the sake of the album sequence.

BUT if they wanted to keep that Streets-style climax, what song could pull that weight? 10 years ago, I'd say COBL, but maybe not anymore...

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 11:44:46 AM »
If they removed it from the set I'm not sure I would care to notice... it's not a song I think of or get excited about particularly when going to watch them. the first 90 seconds where it builds and then kicks in is immense (stating the obvious here) but I almost can't wait for it to finish after that point.. I know.. sacrilege.

They don't have another song that can replace it like for like with that relentless uplifting energy in the rhythm section. But they have plenty of big hits that can uplift the crowd when needed..

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 10:33:47 PM »
Whatever plans Willie has for lighting could have a bearing on things, especially in Europe.  They are playing outside in the UK just after the longest day of the year, it won't get dark until 9:30/10pm. 

If they go for the traditional streets lighting design then it won't have the same impact anywhere near the beginning of the set as it will be broad daylight :-).
You know, watching PopMart shows on YouTube, I was wondering myself whose idea it was to start the show in the middle of daylight, that show doesn't work as it should unless its dark.