Author Topic: Issue with Personal Messages  (Read 485 times)

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
Issue with Personal Messages
« on: January 28, 2017, 12:09:13 AM »
Hey everyone --

In the process of updating some settings on the backend of the forum, it appears that I took the Personal Messages system offline tonight for about .... 45 minutes? I apologize if anyone was trying to read or write a PM at that time.

m2

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Issue with Personal Messages
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 12:22:43 AM »
Question - why is the content of personal messages copied into emails that are generated by your forums email address.

Surely with that being the case there is a sent email trail and therefore you can read the content of personal messages?

Why cant the email just say 'you have a personal message' with the link to your account to view?

Morally it feels wrong to me to have personal/private message content so readily viewable...

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 12:35:50 AM »
Nope, we can only read PMs when someone mistakenly replies to the email alert. We can't change how the emails work, what they say, etc.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 12:41:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Nope, we can only read PMs when someone mistakenly replies to the email alert. We can't change how the emails work, what they say, etc.

so the email address that sends out the notifications with the message content on has no sent items trail/box....but amazingly you can reply to it and the message can be read?

wow! interesting system

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Global Moderator
  • Running to Stand Still
  • Deserve's got nothin' to do with it
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 12:47:42 AM »
And if you read the email notification, you'll know that it says not to reply to this email. It also says that if you want to reply to this personal message, then you need to log-in to your account. So no email trail for people who read the instructions, just a user error on your part. Anything else??

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 12:52:23 AM »
And if you read the email notification, you'll know that it says not to reply to this email. It also says that if you want to reply to this personal message, then you need to log-in to your account. So no email trail for people who read the instructions, just a user error on your part. Anything else??

the message content is on the email in the main text body...therefore it is very clear that the emails are in an outbox somewhere with all the message text on them.

why can't the e-mail just say you have a mesage and the link

i realise that if a forum owner really wanted to read pm's he/she could dig into database deep enough to do so and ultimately has to be able to in case of anything that could be a legal matter etc....but that is the extreme scenario...having peoples pm text clearly visible in emails is in my view morally wrong.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 12:54:44 AM »
so the email address that sends out the notifications with the message content on has no sent items trail/box

Correct. The emails are auto-generated by the forum server, not by an email client.

amazingly you can reply to it and the message can be read?

YOU can reply to the email, not us. We don't see any of the PM emails unless a user screws up and replies to one accidentally.

This is something we've alerted forum users to since 2009, by the way: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 12:58:49 AM »
so the email address that sends out the notifications with the message content on has no sent items trail/box

Correct. The emails are auto-generated by the forum server, not by an email client.

amazingly you can reply to it and the message can be read?

YOU can reply to the email, not us. We don't see any of the PM emails unless a user screws up and replies to one accidentally.

This is something we've alerted forum users to since 2009, by the way: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So there is no trail of the sent emails with all the message text on...?

let me ask you again as you have avoided answering:

why can't the email notification just say 'you have a pm' with the link or saying log in to your account to view rather than having a your full pm in the email text?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:00:50 AM by an tha »

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 12:58:54 AM »
the message content is on the email in the main text body...therefore it is very clear that the emails are in an outbox somewhere with all the message text on them.

As I said above, the emails are server-generated. They don't come from anyone's email client.

I said above we can't change what the emails say.

i realise that if a forum owner really wanted to read pm's he/she could dig into database deep enough to do so and ultimately has to be able to in case of anything that could be a legal matter etc....but that is the extreme scenario...having peoples pm text clearly visible in emails is in my view morally wrong.

I suppose if we needed to access one for legal reasons, our web hosting company would probably figure out how to get the police what they need.

If that makes you uncomfortable, my best suggestion is to stop using PMs.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 01:01:49 AM »
you can change those e-mails - if you wanted to.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:04:00 AM by an tha »

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 01:02:12 AM »

There is more than enough to read on this forum nevermind wanting to read PM's. I think I can count the number of times this has happened on one hand in my time here which indicates most people read and understand the guidance in the mail.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 01:05:22 AM »

There is more than enough to read on this forum nevermind wanting to read PM's. I think I can count the number of times this has happened on one hand in my time here which indicates most people read and understand the guidance in the mail.

the error in replying to the email (whilst an annoyance) is not the issue here for me.

the issue is the text being in the email when it does not have to be - removing it would mean when people do make the error you can't read their message anyway and would remove any doubt about what is in an outbox...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:07:02 AM by an tha »

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 01:16:21 AM »
the issue is the text being in the email when it does not have to be - removing it would mean when people do make the error you can't read their message anyway and would remove any doubt about what is in an outbox...

For the third time: We cannot change what that email says.

You can choose to believe me or not. If you don't want to believe me, and you think you might accidentally reply to one of those email alerts again, I'll repeat my earlier suggestion: Don't use the PM system.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 01:22:51 AM »

For the third time: We cannot change what that email says.

You can choose to believe me or not. If you don't want to believe me, and you think you might accidentally reply to one of those email alerts again, I'll repeat my earlier suggestion: Don't use the PM system.

you can change it i know this for a fact and a quick google search tells anyone who wants to check that i posted a link with an example....you don't want to - that is your choice.

i have said my piece now - i'll leave it there.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 01:24:18 AM »
I'd love to know how to change it, so where'd you post the link?