Poll

How many shows are you attending this tour?

16 (12.8%)
40 (32%)
40 (32%)
16 (12.8%)
8 (6.4%)
5 or more
5 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: March 09, 2017, 03:40:38 AM

Author Topic: How many shows are you going to this time?  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
Re: How many shows are you going to this time?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 08:19:04 AM »
Just one. I really don't think there will be much difference from night to night, I am having to rearrange my life just to get to one, and the ticket price pretty-much left me no choice. Plus, I think they will be back next year, and I would MUCH rather do an arena show than a stadium show.

Offline dougie

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 11:01:27 AM »
Also waiting and hoping for more arena shows. I am not a fan of warm, hot or humid weather (plus rain) that will occur outdoors in the summer.

But, I'll brave a few shows in the Pacific Northwest. Love Vancouver and Seattle. Looking forward to JT rare tracks.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 05:18:40 PM »
I'm not a fan of stadium shows either but the thought of hearing OTH, IGC, Exit and RHMT is too much too resist! :)

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 05:26:52 PM »
Maybe Louisville, but it's in June so who the hell knows where I'll be. I'm praying we don't have an early start to hurricane season like we have the past few years. Unfortunately, May-June is traditionally the month where I have the most deployments so I don't generally make plans then.

I was really hoping for a Nashville show since it's only 45 minutes from my house, but Louisville works.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 05:48:40 PM »
One.  HAve never gone to multiple shows for the same tour and never seen the point in doing so.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 10:13:15 PM »
Two - Barcelona and Amsterdam. Sadly they didn't consult with my holiday planner and it clashes with my summer vacation (hence I'm going to Barcelona) That said whilst I love this album I still don't really get the purpose of the tour..

Offline redsox04

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 07:41:05 PM »
For past tours I traveled all around - but now with an 8 month old at home - only 1 show for me.   Maybe if SOE comes out by 2027 I can take in multiple shows with my son.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2017, 12:29:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Two - Barcelona and Amsterdam. Sadly they didn't consult with my holiday planner and it clashes with my summer vacation (hence I'm going to Barcelona) That said whilst I love this album I still don't really get the purpose of the tour..

You don't think it is first and foremost about money/contractual obligations?

Livenation gave u2 an absolute bomb load of money a few years ago to handle all their tours etc....it is very reasonable to think (as i do) that livenation have said 'hey u2 get out there and give us some return on the massive lump of money we have given you'....and this was the idea

A figure of 100m has been thrown about as the amount (lets assume for a moment it is there or thereabouts).... in terms of ROI it would need some amazing amounts of grosses over the years factoring in all the costs etc....my guess (and it is just a guess) is that things are closeish to being profitable enough for the investment made to realise a good return for livenation but certainly not as much as hoped for and this idea will push it over the line, and does so in the quickest manner.

Anyone know when the deal ends/is up for possible renewal - maybe LN wanted a bit more return before considering a renewal for example...

The band and their people have then on the back of this realised that all this could work well from a marketing point of view with a new record to follow at some point, reminding people they are still around/possibly getting people who had jumped off back on the bus and sticking around for new stuff...taking their most well known record on a shortish jaunt - keeping LN happy and doing some marketing of the u2 'brand' at the same time....the tour has already garnered a fair bit of coverage in music press/sites etc already.

I would say there is a pretty close summary of the purpose of this tour.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2017, 05:42:45 AM »
I looked it up, U2 made the deal in 2008.  It was a 12 year deal with the financial terms wasn't disclosed but Michael Cohl head of live nation at the time said it was similar to the Madonna deal worth $120 million with some money paid upfront.
So with the deal ending in 2020, U2 have done only 2 tours in that time (360 and I&E) with the 3rd one coming up with JT. So that would be 3 tours in 9 years.  So yeah maybe Livenation is looking to cash in on the deal although livnaion also makes money on U2's merchandising as well. Also 360 did rake in about 750 million gross, so I'm sure they got a good chunk of that action. I&E so far made about 150 million and JT 2017 I'm guessing will gross something similar with it being stadiums around the150 million.
So that would be around a billion dollars with 3 tours and with 3 more years on the deal.
On second thought, I think Livenation is doing great on this deal and getting their moneys worth.
Here's the link if anyone wants to read it:

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2017, 11:30:20 AM »
I've only done one since 360.  Tickets are too expensive to do more than one.

Offline michener

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 12:26:10 PM »
One.  HAve never gone to multiple shows for the same tour and never seen the point in doing so.

If I can swing it, I like going to two. One close up (GA, Redzone) and one so you can see the whole set. Last tour I did GA at the Forum and up top in NYC. That tour you definitely needed to see the screens! Obviously, on the rail is fun to get the full energy. For JT '17 I am going back to back at the Rose Bowl (GA then Red Zone). I will probably try to get on the rail of the b-stage right in the center to take it all in. Taking my kids to first concert (10 and 7) so the Redzone should be fun the second night.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 10:33:41 PM »

You don't think it is first and foremost about money/contractual obligations?

Livenation gave u2 an absolute bomb load of money a few years ago to handle all their tours etc....it is very reasonable to think (as i do) that livenation have said 'hey u2 get out there and give us some return on the massive lump of money we have given you'....and this was the idea

A figure of 100m has been thrown about as the amount (lets assume for a moment it is there or thereabouts).... in terms of ROI it would need some amazing amounts of grosses over the years factoring in all the costs etc....my guess (and it is just a guess) is that things are closeish to being profitable enough for the investment made to realise a good return for livenation but certainly not as much as hoped for and this idea will push it over the line, and does so in the quickest manner.

Anyone know when the deal ends/is up for possible renewal - maybe LN wanted a bit more return before considering a renewal for example...

The band and their people have then on the back of this realised that all this could work well from a marketing point of view with a new record to follow at some point, reminding people they are still around/possibly getting people who had jumped off back on the bus and sticking around for new stuff...taking their most well known record on a shortish jaunt - keeping LN happy and doing some marketing of the u2 'brand' at the same time....the tour has already garnered a fair bit of coverage in music press/sites etc already.

I would say there is a pretty close summary of the purpose of this tour.

Yes I do think it's related to contracts. I guess I'm saying I don't get it because it feels so off track for them philosophically to make this move. Monies must have been significant (no idea Re the figures you quote) or the Livenation relationship is near busting point.

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2017, 03:22:52 AM »
I say this every time. I'd love to go to the one near me then travel to another one or two ... and then I see the prices. 200+ for two tickets.
I'm going to one. Again.

Offline Gavin82

• Refugee
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2017, 06:10:09 AM »
I got seated tixs Block L26 @ Twick for the Sunday ill be @ Dublin as well so gutted i could have had a tix in the pre sale.

Offline snailstampede

• Wanderer
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2017, 09:11:39 AM »
I'm just doing the one show in Chicago this time. My best friend and I made a short vacation of it last time around, hitting the first 3 Chicago shows over a 5 day period. This time it seems like 1 show is gonna scratch my U2 live itch.