Author Topic: Larry working with Alice Cooper,Peter Cetera  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
Larry working with Alice Cooper,Peter Cetera
« on: January 28, 2017, 12:48:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

A guy from Slipknot, a guy from U2 and Alice Cooper walk into a bar ...

There is no punch line. This, almost literally, was the scene at The Basement East Thursday night, where for the second time in less than three years shock-rock icon and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Cooper made a surprise club appearance in Nashville to take his turn as a bar-band singer.

It was truly a twice-in-a-lifetime experience for fans TBH, they all seemed ready for and expecting the surprise who packed the Beast for Beasto Blanco, a fun, campy-by-design, Rob Zombie-esque riff-rock outfit offering club-sized arena-rock antics. The band is led by mutton-chop-sporting longtime Coop bassist and Nashvillian Chuck Garric and features the rock legend's daughter Calico Cooper. On Thursday, fans were treated to the elder Cooper leading the band and some of their famous friends for a four-song set of his classics.

Without introduction (or face paint), the leather-jacked-clad 68-year-old Cooper slyly strode onstage to the opening riff of "No More Mr. Nice Guy" and transformed the room into a tightly packed army of amateur iPhone videographers. Off the bat, there was something extraordinary happening here; something beyond a rock star simply doing his thing in an intimate setting. You see, when you go to an Alice Cooper concert, you get the props, the blood, the mock executions and all that, with Alice Cooper the character playing ringleader to the whole cartoon horror show. But at the Beast much like at the pop-up mini-show Cooper delivered during a Thee Rock N' Roll Residency appearance at Dan McGuinness Pub (now called TailGate Beer) we got Alice Cooper as Vincent Furnier, joyfully belting out "Nice Guy," the rather unexpected "Under My Wheels," "I'm Eighteen" and the pretty much inevitable "School's Out."

"Do you ever get tired of anywhere you show up people are just happy to see you?" Black Star Riders and former Brother Cane guitarist Damon Johnson, who opened the show and joined in for the encore, asked Cooper midway through the performance. "The fact that I'm on this side of the dirt [is enough]," the singer bantered back.

Unlike the Dan McGuinness show, at which The Coop sang classic rock covers as backed by his own nut-tight band, this appearance had a raw, loose,100 percent rock 'n' roll, no-fourth-wall feel that you'd never get from Cooper's trademark arena-ready spectacle. Halestorm frontwoman Lzzy Hale joined Cooper for a shout-out duet on "School's Out," and by the time Cooper eye-contact-cued the song's close, the show felt more like party time with Alice Cooper than a performance. "All right, I've got class tomorrow, so I've gotta get going," Cooper said in mic-drop style before disappearing. Yeah, it was pretty awesome.

Meanwhile, next door at the club's sister bar Beast Pub, Slipknot drummer and Nashvillian Jay Weinberg (he's Max's son) was spinning emo records as guest DJ for recurring millennial nostalgia night Nashville Is the Reason. But Weinberg was far from the most famous drummer in the house. Seconds after Cooper & Co. left the stage, we turned around and found ourselves face to face with U2 drummer Larry Mullen Jr., who was making his way backstage. First of all, holy fn s##t! Second, what the hell is he doing in town?

We think we might have an answer to that, and it's one that only makes sense in an anything-is-possible world where Donald Trump is POTUS. An insider tells us Mullen is involved in some kind of recording collaboration in town with Cooper and ... not kidding ... Peter Cetera. Sorry to bury the lede?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 12:52:20 PM by Giga Razor »

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Larry working with Alice Cooper,Peter Cetera
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 01:35:06 PM »
Nice for Larry :)

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 02:43:43 PM »
I saw Alice Cooper live recently, was pleasantly surprised. Puts on a fun show!

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 03:11:50 PM »
Peter Cetera??  Wow!  I've always been a big Chicago fan.  A collaboration with him would be awesome.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 03:13:28 PM by missey »

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 10:28:01 AM »
My niece is a huge Halestorm fan and follows Lzzy Hale on Twitter. When she told me Lzzy had tagged Larry in her Twitter post along with Alice Cooper and a bunch of other hard rockers, I didn't believe it--it doesn't seem like his scene at all. Looks like there was some truth to it.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 10:59:18 AM »
Larry's probably tired of the band spinning their wheels and is looking for ways to branch out. I'm glad to see him stepping out and doing more things like this.:)

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Detroit, Buffalo
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »
From Go Robot by RHCP:

Sometimes I feel like Im a sentimental trooper

She cried so hard, you know she looked like Alice Cooper

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 12:19:52 PM »
Larry's probably tired of the band spinning their wheels and is looking for ways to branch out. I'm glad to see him stepping out and doing more things like this.:)

Y'know, if this means a new supergroup is formed and they end up touring, I'd be even more in favor of this. As it is, I think it's a very interesting, neat combo.

Offline The Hair of Martin Gore

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 01:34:55 PM »
I can't even see the name Chicago without thinking of Larry David's movie in which a character blew the whole band

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 11:41:05 AM »
I saw Alice Cooper live recently, was pleasantly surprised. Puts on a fun show!

yea i saw him coheadline with Motley Crue. Cooper was SO much better. I expected nothing and got a great show!

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 11:27:46 PM »
I hope Bono's giving Larry schtick about being a part-time band member.  :P

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 08:06:55 AM »
Larry touring with Peter Cetera is a cool idea? Goodness me.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 08:47:34 AM »
Scary, isn't it?

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 09:49:29 AM »
Scary, isn't it?

Eh, I'm not even a Cetera fan. I like some of Cooper's stuff. But if they decide to all make music together and tour, maybe starting a side project superband? Why not? I'm willing to give them a fair shake.

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 04:51:44 PM »
Scary, isn't it?

Why would that be scary?