Author Topic: Get spoilers or not?  (Read 918 times)

Offline kraftybu

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Get spoilers or not?
« on: February 02, 2017, 09:02:21 PM »
I'm torn on what to do - I have tickets for the Foxboro show.  Do I check the message boards and setlists once the tour starts or go in not knowing what to expect?  It is going to be hard to avoid checking everything once the tour begins, but will it be worth it not knowing what will come next?

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
Re: Get spoilers or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 09:48:45 PM »
I usually go somewhere in the middle... I skim the setlists to give me some idea of what to expect, but try not to study them so closely that I've memorised the song order by the time I see them! And I don't watch or listen to any recordings before my show, so I can be surprised by exactly how they're performing stuff.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:51:01 PM »
I've been trying to decide this for myself. I want to be surprised, but at the same time I have nieces who are tagging along and have already been bugging me wanting to know if they'll play some of their 00s music. Me = a serious fan who will be happy with just about any setlist. Them = casual fans who will be disappointed if they don't hear songs like Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo etc.

I'll probably check the first show's setlist and try to avoid those after that so I'm somewhat surprised.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 08:44:48 AM »
I'll be following opening night live. This ain't a Star Wars movie. I like to know what I am getting from concerts.

Offline U2_One

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • You Miss Too Much These Days If You Stop To Think
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 09:34:31 AM »
spoilers for me.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 10:39:54 AM »
I followed the SOI tour on youtube religiously before I went to it. Didn't "spoil" a thing for me!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 01:46:29 PM »
I try to avoid spoilers ever since I had practically plotted out every song on PopMart before I saw it.  Kind of ruined things.

Once I see it, I peruse the setlists to see if what I saw was standard, and get an idea of what I might have "missed".

Offline ADDinChicago

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 02:49:32 PM »
Spoilers for me as well at least in terms of time/setlist. I'm not going to lie. I'm a "traffic beater". As soon as that last song starts, I'm starting to walk and then jog to get out of there. Call me crazy, but beating most people by even 5 minutes means I'm not stuck in the parking lot (or bus line in the case of Soldier Field).

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 02:57:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Spoilers for me as well at least in terms of time/setlist. I'm not going to lie. I'm a "traffic beater". As soon as that last song starts, I'm starting to walk and then jog to get out of there. Call me crazy, but beating most people by even 5 minutes means I'm not stuck in the parking lot (or bus line in the case of Soldier Field).
Yup, you're crazy!  ;D

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 08:30:56 PM »
Yup, you're crazy!  ;D

Yup. I never leave a concert early. Doesn't feel complete when I do that.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 10:12:46 PM »
Yup, you're crazy!  ;D

In my opinion, its downright disrespectful to the artist.

Offline ADDinChicago

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 12:12:26 AM »
Yup, you're crazy!  ;D

That's fine. In my opinion, once I've paid for something, I own it, and me leaving 5 minutes before a show completely ends is fine. IMO, it's disrespectful of an artist to charge $40 for an undersized tshirt.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 02:12:22 AM »
Yup, you're crazy!  ;D

That's fine. In my opinion, once I've paid for something, I own it, and me leaving 5 minutes before a show completely ends is fine. IMO, it's disrespectful of an artist to charge $40 for an undersized tshirt.
Apparently U2 aren't the only ones who do that. I saw U2 and Van Halen in 2015. Both bands sold their t-shirts and sweaters for the same price.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 01:05:12 PM »
Yup, you're crazy!  ;D

Apparently U2 aren't the only ones who do that. I saw U2 and Van Halen in 2015. Both bands sold their t-shirts and sweaters for the same price.

Many other bands sell them for $40+. U2 are hardly the only ones to do this, as you pointed out.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 02:30:34 PM »
It's better if you avoid it all together. It's difficult. But worth it.