Author Topic: Attention PopMart shoppers...  (Read 435 times)

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
Attention PopMart shoppers...
« on: February 03, 2017, 01:47:42 AM »
...Introductions in aisle 3.

My name is Robert (Bob) from a little town in Oregon state called Sandy, I've been a fan of the Irish Fab Four since the age of 7 in 1987 when a U2 fan introduced me to the band thru the brand-new U2 album (at the time) The Joshua Tree. He gave me his cassette copy a couple of months later on the actual day I turned 7. Been listening to them ever since, and at this time I'm amazed its been 30 years of both my fandom and that record. Achtung Baby blew me away sonically upon first listen. I used to listen to it non-stop back in the day. It has become my #1 favorite album of all time, I rank it a notch higher than The Joshua Tree, and if I were stranded on a desert island, that would be the U2 album I'd have with me.

As for concerts, PopMart in Eugene, Oregon was my very first, hence my name. That show solidified my U2 fandom, made me a lifer. PopMart BLEW MY MIND! I've been to Elevation in Portland, Oregon the day Joey Ramone died, and i&e 2015 in Los Angeles show #2 when Dennis Sheehan died, and while those shows were very good (I rank the L.A. #2 higher than the Elevation show in Portland), I keep coming back to PopMart. To me, out of all those shows I've been to, that one is unforgettable to me. I don't think any tour they've done since, has matched it in production value, even if the early reviews were unfavorable, even if the 360 tour broke attendance and ticket sales records.

(By the way, I missed out on 360 because the band didn't come to Oregon -- they played Autzen Stadium during PopMart, and the 360's Claw stage could've fit in there as well. I had bought tickets for Vertigo in Portland, stood in line a long time and was randomly given horrible seats where I couldn't see anybody or the front of the stage. I wound up missing the show because I then decided to sell the tickets to somebody. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't go to that show, because I would've had to listen to Kanye West...)

On the U2.com Zootopia board, I'm known as Arngrim. I'm a paid member.

I've been a @U2 reader since the summer before the "Beautiful Day" video first aired on TV. I felt at the time the song would mark the end of U2's 3-year critical slump, and I believe I was correct on that.

I've been a listener of the new @U2 podcast since it first came out, and I feel it does a better job of representing U2 fandom and, more importantly, presenting accurate U2 facts than U Talking U2 2 Me does.

I also own a PlayStation community for PS4 owners called The U2 Tribe. We have 17 members at this time, and I'm always looking for more.

I joined this forum because I feel I should've been here since 2000. Also, I'm going to The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 in Seattle to celebrate 30 years of both the record and my fandom, and wanted to converse with others who are also going to that show. I do plan on staying. So, "Hello, hello... (Hola!)"

Dream out loud!

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: Attention PopMart shoppers...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 04:44:08 AM »
welcome to the madness!

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 10:09:28 AM »
Welcome.  I drive through Sandy every time I head up to the mountain.  Seems like a cool little town.  Used to run track meets there in high school.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 11:47:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum, it seems like we'll get along just fine.  :)