Author Topic: My biggest fear about the Joshua Tree 2017 tour is...  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Matty_Mullens

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "Brevity is the essence of wit" Brian Eno-1984
My biggest fear about the Joshua Tree 2017 tour is...
« on: February 03, 2017, 08:53:02 AM »
That when the band plays all of the Joshua Tree hits like WOWY, ISHFWILF, Streets, ect, that they will sound just like theyve sounded on the last 3 tours.

Sure, theres nothing wrong when U2 plays their warhorses but im hoping they reinvigorate the songs.  Like having the original long intro to Streets.  Or Larry changing up his drum pattern on With or Without you.

Maybe i just loved the way those songs sounded on the original Joshua Tree tour/Rattle & Hum.

How do you think the band will sound on this tour?

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Re: My biggest fear about the Joshua Tree 2017 tour is...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 09:17:43 AM »
I'm wondering if they will play the "Oh Great Ocean" coda for OTH?

Offline ADDinChicago

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
I'm kinda with you. I'd like to hear the song more true to the album cut. And in no way is this a "complaint", just a preference. I'm generally not a fan of bands/artists when they change the way they play a song or the style. But to each their own. If they play those songs in the way they've been the last couple of tours, it's cool. It's the band's art and if they like it a certain way or feel more comfortable playing it a different way I'm ok with it. But my fingers are crossed it'll be a little more "old fashioned".

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 03:08:07 PM »
My greatest fear about TJT 2017 is that they won't make a dvd.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
history is on your side.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 04:43:46 PM »
they'll ignore POP's 20th anniversary.

Offline U2_One

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • You Miss Too Much These Days If You Stop To Think
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 04:50:55 PM »
Just want the eleven JT tracks and then we'll see what else is in the setlist, nightly and otherwise.

Offline mcpaulson22

• Babyface
  • Ill see you again when the stars fall from the sky
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 04:54:50 PM »
I fear they will play some of the deeper JT cuts (RHMT, IGC) acoustic. . I hope not.

Offline JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 04:55:13 PM »
history is on your side.
More interesting: where will it be recorded?

Probably one of the last? Or in America?
Could it be Brussel, Amsterdam or Paris again?
Amsterdam is not likely. I think the stadium is not made for those films. Look at pictures of 360 at the Rose Bowl and 360 at the Amsterdam ArenA (you can use google if you want  ;))

Offline spiriva21

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »
That it will be filled with videos and political rants regarding American politics.  I just hope the band remembers the vast majority in the stadium spent lots of hard earned cash to escape the political nonsense and enjoy the music for 1 amazing summer evening. 

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 09:41:29 PM »
If U2 do play TJT in order, then they probably will for continuity's sake.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 10:27:24 PM »
Agreed. This is a once-in-a-lifetime tour, celebrating a legendary album. The box set thing has already been done and doesn't need to be rehashed. On that note, if the band doesn't film/release a show for home video, that will be a huge missed opportunity.

they'll ignore POP's 20th anniversary.
Agreed. I'm of the mind that the band should Super Deluxe reissue this album, alongside that re-done version they've been talking about recording for years. The "Working in the PopMart" documentary would be a sweet addition to the package.

That it will be filled with videos and political rants regarding American politics.  I just hope the band remembers the vast majority in the stadium spent lots of hard earned cash to escape the political nonsense and enjoy the music for 1 amazing summer evening.
The irony in that statement is that the album features a lot of political stuff in it, so it would be impossible to escape the "political nonsense". And if you're going to see a U2 show, you should already know by now what you're getting yourself into.

My greatest fear is that they won't play the album in sequence order. That they will violate the album that people love just for a sort of manufactured "build-up to 'Streets'", "flow", or "core", whatever The Edge was talking about in Rolling Stone. I mean, the running order is perfect as it is, why mess with it? The build-up to "Streets" has been done to death.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 10:40:04 PM »
That when the band plays all of the Joshua Tree hits like WOWY, ISHFWILF, Streets, ect, that they will sound just like theyve sounded on the last 3 tours.

Sure, theres nothing wrong when U2 plays their warhorses but im hoping they reinvigorate the songs.  Like having the original long intro to Streets.  Or Larry changing up his drum pattern on With or Without you.

Maybe i just loved the way those songs sounded on the original Joshua Tree tour/Rattle & Hum.

How do you think the band will sound on this tour?

While I think this is a noble and worthy sentiment, I have to add I don't think this is possible.  As a low-rate, peddling musician myself, some of the keys are now way out of Bono's range.  For instance, ISHFWIL on the album is in C#Major.  It's an odd tuning and rarely used intentionally on most U2 records - could be wrong about that.  On the JT, it sounds like he is working very hard within that key to hit the upper notes, albeit very successfully.  During past tours, the song has either been in B major as in the first JT tour, or B flat major beginning with the Pop tour. 

Another one is RHMT. I understand the story very well, but it's in G Major, which is something U2 rarely plays - even live.  I can count nearly on one hand the number of songs that have been recorded in that key the past 20 years and two fingers which of those ever saw the light of day live - Wild Horses and Wild Honey (played once). Even perhaps Unknown Caller - been awhile since I've listened to that one. It's not a key that they circle on very much for whatever reason. 

Most keys U2 plays in, at least live, are either C Major, Am, D Major, A Major, and either E Minor/Major - the most being E and D.  And if I'm not mistaken, they play everything down at least a half step.  I understand that contradicts my sentiments somewhat, but Edge is playing those songs in traditional patterns as if the guitar were in standard tuning.  And some of those songs that were D Major, but rendered C# Major, have been worked subtly to allow Bono to "get around" some of the power notes - such as Streets.  In theory, they could play Still Haven't... in that key as it is on the album, but I would think he would need to "get around" some of those punchier notes. 

I would love to hear the songs in the keys they were in on the album.  It may happen for some we haven't heard in awhile, but I don't think it's out of the question they will "reimagine" a couple, similar to Edge's performance of SBS, to make them easy for Bono to work with.  But again, all conjecture at this point.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 10:44:09 PM by achtung child »

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 10:48:52 PM »
Bono will improv new  and/or confusing lyrics for all the rarely (or never) played JT songs

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 04:05:21 AM »

They will.  In 2011, they played the song impromptu and Bono sang the "Oh Great Ocean" coda as a snippet at the end of "Moment of Surrender" just before they started playing OTH.  Then, he sang it again in its proper place at the end of OTH.

What he did not sing is the "raining, raining, raining in the heart..." part at the end of the song.  Instead The Edge just did a solo.  He did sing the word "raining" once because the audience was singing it.  I'm thinking those words weren't on the teleprompter.

You can see it's absence after the 5:45 mark in this video:

Or watch the whole thing to see the "Oh Great Ocean" part twice.