Author Topic: My biggest fear about the Joshua Tree 2017 tour is...  (Read 2667 times)

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: My biggest fear about the Joshua Tree 2017 tour is...
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 06:55:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My greatest fear is that they won't play the album in sequence order. That they will violate the album that people love just for a sort of manufactured "build-up to 'Streets'", "flow", or "core", whatever The Edge was talking about in Rolling Stone. I mean, the running order is perfect as it is, why mess with it? The build-up to "Streets" has been done to death.

But doesn't that ruin the element of surprise if they just play the songs in the same order as the album?  Isn't it more exciting if you don't know what they're going to play next?

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 07:31:07 AM »
I agree definitely want that element of surprise. No need to play in it in order. Although my bet for toilet break song is one I haven't seen many people talk about...Trip Through Your Wires...I would happily miss that one.

Offline U21978man

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 07:33:47 AM »
They U2 didn't play the JT songs in sequencle order back in 1987 and it worked out  fine!!!its a retro tour just enjoy the 80,s U2 that's their prime imo!!! This is once in a lifetime opportunity to hear and see U2 at their greatest!!! All this speculation on set lists no one knows until may shows begin but this I know U2 always puts on a great show !!!   I'm hoping for WTSHNN song first with longer songs of experience /JT album intro And last song  "40" with audience singing "how long to sing this song" as concert ends !!! ;D

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 10:33:18 AM »
If they play all JT songs, that would make half a concert right?
So my biggest fear is that the rest would be filled up with
songs that just do not match. I would love the JT album
mixed with R&H and some single B sides.
Oh.......how i wanna be a fly on the wall as they put together
a basic set list to work with.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 07:14:01 PM »
I fear Bono's improvisation of lyrics. I don't know why, but I don't really like it.

Online WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 08:30:02 PM »
I fear Bono's improvisation of lyrics. I don't know why, but I don't really like it.
That is a legit concern of mine, as well. If he does as much as change one line of Exit (assuming that U2 really do play the entire album) to soften it...

Offline Matty_Mullens

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "Brevity is the essence of wit" Brian Eno-1984
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 09:08:36 PM »
2nd biggest fear...

That there will be no:

Walk to the Water, Luminous Times, With or Without You trilogy (in order)

Im not sure which order Bono said there in.  I always thought of it as WTTW first (Lovers meet?).  Then Luminous Times (Love between the couple intensifies?).  Then finally, WOWY (Trouble hits but is it the end?).

Thats sort of how i always experienced those songs together.

PS side note:  Silver & Gold is perfect along side maybe Bullet??
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 09:18:04 PM by Matty_Mullens »

Offline cocamojoe

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 06:42:10 AM »
2nd biggest fear...

That there will be no:

Walk to the Water, Luminous Times, With or Without You trilogy (in order)

Im not sure which order Bono said there in.  I always thought of it as WTTW first (Lovers meet?).  Then Luminous Times (Love between the couple intensifies?).  Then finally, WOWY (Trouble hits but is it the end?).

Thats sort of how i always experienced those songs together.

PS side note:  Silver & Gold is perfect along side maybe Bullet??

It's generally believed that the  track-listing for the Joshua Tree originally would have run about like so:

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. Silver And Gold (b-side version)
3. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
4. Spanish Eyes
5. With Or Without You
6. Luminous Times
7. Walk To The Water
8. Bullet The Blue Sky
9. Running To Stand Still
10. Red Hill Mining Town
11. Race Against Time
12. In God's Country
13. Trip Through Your Wires
14. Sweetest Thing (b-side version)
15. One Tree Hill
16. Deep In The Heart
17. Exit
18. Mothers Of The Disappeared

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 11:57:47 AM »
My greatest fear is that they won't play the album in sequence order. That they will violate the album that people love just for a sort of manufactured "build-up to 'Streets'", "flow", or "core", whatever The Edge was talking about in Rolling Stone. I mean, the running order is perfect as it is, why mess with it? The build-up to "Streets" has been done to death.
But doesn't that ruin the element of surprise if they just play the songs in the same order as the album?  Isn't it more exciting if you don't know what they're going to play next?

Element of surprise? This is a heritage act, promoting a 30 year old classic album for the second time round. It won't be much of a surprise tour.. makes sense to sequence in the same album order..that way it feels like they are actually attempting something different..

They should have taken eno and lanois on tour with them, enabling them to play fuller album versions, truer to studio versions. That would have made this tour feel like a one of off and something more memorable.

Instead, we will have acoustic versions and even worse, the edge playing overly minimalist digital delay effect guitar under a tired bono vocal, with no bass or drums.

That would be my biggest fear... but it's hardly going to ruin the show.

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 12:00:32 PM »
I agree definitely want that element of surprise. No need to play in it in order. Although my bet for toilet break song is one I haven't seen many people talk about...Trip Through Your Wires...I would happily miss that one.

Interesting.. I'm more likely to stock around for any of the JT tracks. With exceptions  Streets, wowy or ishfwilf. Could see myself using those slots for breaks.

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 08:21:15 AM »
I'm wondering if they will play the "Oh Great Ocean" coda for OTH?
If they don't then it doesn't count.

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 08:29:33 AM »
Honestly concerned with an acoustic approach to a couple of JT songs, because they simply can't play it correctly.

Concerned with reworking songs to a point they are butchered, etc.

Bono needs to get the lyric right. Etch them in his heart and soul. Not lean over the teleprompter for the whole backside of the album.

I have mixed emotions about "a look back" tour, but if done right, this could be awesome. 

This is an epic album and a grand opportunity to do right by it. They have enough time between now and May to get this right, let's hope they do.

Offline bjkrober

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2017, 09:42:11 AM »
biggest fear is that they play JT in order and the other songs are ones they've played hundreds of times.  I want the JT order mixed up and surprises in the setlist.  Kite, So Cruel, Daddy's gonna pay, Seconds, Threw a brick, God pt II, Hawkmoon, Wire, etc...  I'm afraid that the relative brevity of the tour will mean that they'll just learn the other JT songs and pull the other ones from the i+e set because they've played them recently and won't have to put as much effort into it.  The ultimate would be if they pulled a Pearl Jam and the non-JT songs were completely different every night.  - A guy can dream, right?

Offline mariamontreal

• Numb
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2017, 01:15:45 PM »
If you consider there is an opening act then intermission they should be right on  cue for the 11 songs add in Bono's talking that should be around 10pm.

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 02:36:36 PM »
Honestly concerned with an acoustic approach to a couple of JT songs, because they simply can't play it correctly.

If they wimp out it's not because they can't do it.  With technology and backing tracks (which they already use) any song on any album can be pulled off, if they so choose.  Even the upper register parts on RHMT could be pulled from the original recordings and used in a backing track so Bono doesn't even have to hit them live every night.

I believe that any variation from the album will be solely due to Bono's inability to actually sing the song.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:38:30 PM by jgrooms »