Author Topic: My biggest fear about the Joshua Tree 2017 tour is...  (Read 2097 times)

Offline mariamontreal

• Numb
  • She moves in mysterious ways
Re: My biggest fear about the Joshua Tree 2017 tour is...
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 03:53:29 PM »
They won't disappoint wish I had a ticket

Offline MysteriousFly

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2017, 08:11:46 PM »
Yeah...I'd say not playing certain songs plugged in....but then again it adds a flavor of a different kind. I have a feeling they will play the songs in their original fashion.

Offline riffraff

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 04:17:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Agreed, on both points. I can't believe they're going to do RHMT, and I'm not going to be there.

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 08:13:40 AM »
Let me address some fears:
1. There will be a DVD.
2. Pop will be ignored. No one cares about it other than the 5-10 very vocal folks here.
3. The Oh Great Ocean ... coda will be played

I think my greatest fear is that the album won't be played in sequence, leaving them to put TJT in their traditional places in the set, i.e., Streets closes the main set, BTBS is the encore opener, WOWY is played toward the end of the show, etc., and the rest of the set is filled in with the usual warhorses.

Offline mariamontreal

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2017, 11:03:03 AM »
Agreed, on both points. I can't believe they're going to do RHMT, and I'm not going to be there.
I know I have nightmares about it..

Offline riffraff

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2017, 11:14:03 AM »
Funny that you said that...last night I dreamed that we scored front row seats to the Vegas show. Of course, there is no Vegas show, and there are no front seats. Oh well...dreaming out loud again, I guess. Maria, I feel your pain!

Offline acrobat62

• Desert Rose
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2017, 11:33:41 AM »
Not a biggest fear, but with the success of the use of drones during Lady Gaga's Superbowl Halftime show (even though the drone part was prerecorded it was still cool) and U2 usually on the forefront of concert technology, do you foresee them doing anything with drones in a similar way for TJT even though it will probably by be a more basic set up?  Is there a way for that type of display to fit in with the feel of JT?

Offline mariamontreal

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »
Funny that you said that...last night I dreamed that we scored front row seats to the Vegas show. Of course, there is no Vegas show, and there are no front seats. Oh well...dreaming out loud again, I guess. Maria, I feel your pain!

Ouch it hurts....

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Stateless
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »

2. Pop will be ignored. No one cares about it other than the 5-10 very vocal folks here.
Not true. I know plenty of people outside here that consider it one of their best, and they are mostly casual fans and even non-fans.
They might not be many enough to justify a revisit by the band, but the fact that only 10 people cares about Pop it's just a misconception.

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2017, 12:50:02 PM »

Not true. I know plenty of people outside here that consider it one of their best, and they are mostly casual fans and even non-fans.
They might not be many enough to justify a revisit by the band, but the fact that only 10 people cares about Pop it's just a misconception.

Not only that, but they have used snippets of Pop songs on past tours including 360. It's not like the band has completely forgotten about that album. I think it's more of a case of having such a deep discography that some songs/albums are bound to be omitted.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2017, 01:00:58 PM »
Not a biggest fear, but with the success of the use of drones during Lady Gaga's Superbowl Halftime show (even though the drone part was prerecorded it was still cool) and U2 usually on the forefront of concert technology, do you foresee them doing anything with drones in a similar way for TJT even though it will probably by be a more basic set up?  Is there a way for that type of display to fit in with the feel of JT?

They'll use drones to simulate the "locus wind." ;)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »
My only fear is just that it won't live up to expectations--either through weak performances, or re-worked songs (acoustic, etc.) that don't properly convey the songs that I've known for nearly 30 years, or even distracting/unnecessary visual effects or other parts of the show.  Their powers are diminishing, but I'm hoping they still have the goods for this tour.

Offline mcpaulson22

• Babyface
  • Ill see you again when the stars fall from the sky
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2017, 03:26:31 PM »
My only fear is just that it won't live up to expectations--either through weak performances, or re-worked songs (acoustic, etc.) that don't properly convey the songs that I've known for nearly 30 years, or even distracting/unnecessary visual effects or other parts of the show.  Their powers are diminishing, but I'm hoping they still have the goods for this tour.

What do you think has diminished about them? The last 2 tours where spot on performance wise IMHO. I think they still rock it just as much as the old days.

Offline mariamontreal

• Numb
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »

Ouch it hurts....
Well my friend it's us and them...the only 2 paying members without tickets. We must  stay strong .lol..
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:25:59 PM by mariamontreal »

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2017, 07:11:31 PM »
But doesn't that ruin the element of surprise if they just play the songs in the same order as the album?  Isn't it more exciting if you don't know what they're going to play next?
By the time you see the red screen before the song even kicks in, you already know they're playing the song. It's only a very brief tour. Why not let your hair down and experiment by playing the album in sequence? That's how album tours are done. U2 could learn a lesson from Peter Hook and his band The Light. When they play the Joy Division or New Order albums, they start the set with a few tracks from the period, then play the album in sequence. That method works.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:20:45 PM by PopMart_1997 »