Author Topic: GA Line Arrival Time  (Read 956 times)

Offline afg

• Babyface
GA Line Arrival Time
« on: February 04, 2017, 01:58:01 PM »
So we are doing GA for the first time this tour at East Rutherford and Boston and wondering what time that we should plan on arriving . I'm curious to hear your experience from past stadium tours with your arrival time and how close you got to the stage. I know that there are so many factors that are involved, such as the tour, venue, etc., but any suggestions on an approximate arrival time to get in the first 5 rows anywhere around the stage?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:42:57 PM by afg »

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: GA Line Arrival Time
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 02:15:55 PM »
Get there before 5 and you should be fine.

Get there as early as you want to. Earlier = a better spot vs a lack of comfort in waiting on concrete. Pick what's important and get there when you want to.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:22:07 PM by briscoetheque »

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 03:53:07 PM »
If you'd like to be close but don't want to wait all day, then showing up when the doors open around 5 or 6pm always has worked for me in a stadium.  They are so much bigger than arenas.

If you want to be on the rail close, then you'd have to wait all day in line and may be tired out (depending on weather etc...) by the time the show starts.  Plus the stage is much higher up in a stadium so being too close makes it harder to see them actually.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »
I just wonder why no one has asked this question before?

Offline afg

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 08:16:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just wonder why no one has asked this question before?

It was probably just a matter of time before some obsessive, overanalyzer like myself posted the question  :P

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 09:01:48 PM »

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 12:05:27 PM »
What's to stop anyone from arriving 10 minutes before the show and just making their way to the front? People move around the whole time, going to the toilet, or the bar...
If anyone is precious about land possession, then surely seated tickets are the answer...

Offline U21978man

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 12:33:13 PM »
Nobody will be sitting in seats crowd will be all standing with hands up screaming going wild crazy this will be 1987 U2 JT mega-hype all over again!!!! So GA floor it's the place to be no need to camp out all GA floor is in the front!!!!  The best place to be!  ;D

Offline cocamojoe

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 01:05:21 PM »
I've done the GA 3 times, all for arena shows. The first was in Atlanta on the Vertigo tour, and we got there at like 10am, waiting all day. It was a fun experience, though cold. We made friends w some people who were in line w us, and we did get a good floor spot, though not on the rail.

The other two were on the I&E tour, in Belfast and Dublin. For both shows, I made no rush to show up "early", and, while I obviously didn't get a rail spot, my spot was quite good for both.

I'm doing the GA for Pittsburgh in June, and, as the stadium is so much bigger, I'm not planning on arriving crazy early. When U2 played Heinz field back in 2011, friends of mine didn't go in until super late, and still managed to get inside of the inner circle. At present, according to Ticketmaster, there are still a solid 3,000 GA tickets available for Pittsburgh, so we'll see how that ultimately pans out come June 7. I'm confident that most, if not all, will sell, it still is kinda surprising that so many are still available. With that said, I crunched the numbers, and they've still sold about 90% of the tickets for that show!

Offline afg

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 01:24:51 PM »
I've done the GA 3 times, all for arena shows. The first was in Atlanta on the Vertigo tour, and we got there at like 10am, waiting all day. It was a fun experience, though cold. We made friends w some people who were in line w us, and we did get a good floor spot, though not on the rail.

The other two were on the I&E tour, in Belfast and Dublin. For both shows, I made no rush to show up "early", and, while I obviously didn't get a rail spot, my spot was quite good for both.

I'm doing the GA for Pittsburgh in June, and, as the stadium is so much bigger, I'm not planning on arriving crazy early. When U2 played Heinz field back in 2011, friends of mine didn't go in until super late, and still managed to get inside of the inner circle. At present, according to Ticketmaster, there are still a solid 3,000 GA tickets available for Pittsburgh, so we'll see how that ultimately pans out come June 7. I'm confident that most, if not all, will sell, it still is kinda surprising that so many are still available. With that said, I crunched the numbers, and they've still sold about 90% of the tickets for that show!

Thanks everyone for the insight.  I'm not planning to get there before noon, but I also don't think arriving an hour before doors open is a good plan either.  I'll see how the Boston show works out and go from there. 
@cocamojoe I'm not sure what ticket site that you were looking at but Ticketmaster doesn't have any unsold GA tix.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 03:25:29 PM »
What's to stop anyone from arriving 10 minutes before the show and just making their way to the front? People move around the whole time, going to the toilet, or the bar...
If anyone is precious about land possession, then surely seated tickets are the answer...

Not in my experience. If you're on the floor, you stake your claim and do not move (or allow anyone else  to move, including pushy B-list celebrities). Bar? Pfffttt. If you're there for a party, get up in the stands. Actually, just stay home and drink. Toilet? A luxury that gets forfeited by having prime real estate. Ain't nobody got time for luxuries when you're on the floor!

Offline cocamojoe

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 08:59:09 PM »

Thanks everyone for the insight.  I'm not planning to get there before noon, but I also don't think arriving an hour before doors open is a good plan either.  I'll see how the Boston show works out and go from there. 
@cocamojoe I'm not sure what ticket site that you were looking at but Ticketmaster doesn't have any unsold GA tix.

According to here, there are still GA's available for Pittsburgh: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline afg

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 06:55:44 AM »

According to here, there are still GA's available for Pittsburgh: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are correct.  Almost 3,000.  Very strange indeed.  Are they not as popular in PA, or as the fan base ages do more people want to sit down to enjoy the show? :)

Online acrobat62

• Precious Stone
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 08:35:18 AM »
Went to 360 at Gillette and in Montreal at the Hippodrome.  Gillette was my first GA experience so got there maybe 2-3 hours in advance, mostly to be sure traffic and parking were not an issues that early.  Line was not very long at all yet, mad dash to the stage and was just a couple feet off the outer rail, could have wormed closer if I wanted to.  Could have gotten into the inner circle too if I knew what I was doing.  Did the same thing in Montreal, line was much bigger, but had the same results, a few feet off the outer rail.

There is so much room on the floor in a stadium, that unless you arrive much later, you should have no issues finding a place you will be happy with.  Will be in the seats this go around at Gillette.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 12:32:43 PM »

Not in my experience. If you're on the floor, you stake your claim and do not move (or allow anyone else  to move, including pushy B-list celebrities). Bar? Pfffttt. If you're there for a party, get up in the stands. Actually, just stay home and drink. Toilet? A luxury that gets forfeited by having prime real estate. Ain't nobody got time for luxuries when you're on the floor!
In line for Vancouver for i.e. people were leaving the line and coming back a lot to find restrooms and buy food.  Pretty relaxed atmosphere.  One gentleman tried to cut in and staff pulled him out.  Needless to say, the people around him were making a lot of remarks to him but he didn't care.