Author Topic: Is U2 not your #1 band?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
Is U2 not your #1 band?
« on: February 08, 2017, 07:38:03 PM »
After many years on the forum I've read countless threads on favorite artists, albums or tours where many members have indicated that U2 is not their #1 band. There are also many members who have avatars of other artists. Out of pure curiosity I'd like to understand what brings U2 fans who don't consider U2 their favorite band, here to the forum?

This is a question I've had for years. Mainly because there are many artists that I'm passionate about, yet I don't participate in any of their forums. I'm not not in any way trying to be contrary or confrontational, really just looking for people's opinions on this.

Cheers
GT

Offline PieBlaCon

• Refugee
  • I believe in the Kingdom Come
Re: Is U2 not your #1 band?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:32:42 PM »
I think they're my favorite band, but I'm close to being able to say that Kate Bush is my favorite artist. I really don't think she's made an album that isn't at least an 8/10. U2 has some records that I find less than stellar.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:53:43 PM »
yea they've been #1 since 1997. My U2 fandom turns 20 in March.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 10:43:06 PM »
At this point I'm pretty sure they're my #1 favorite band, but I also have other bands/artists that are very close to being favorites. And I go through phases where I don't listen to much U2 at all, so during those phases they probably wouldn't be my favorite.

I've been a fan since 2004/2005, but didn't really get into them until 2009 when I saw them live for the first time.

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 11:01:38 PM »
Not my No. 1 band. Really, really like them.

Enough to be on here. Enough to be stupid enough to be a paying member of u2.com.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:35:22 AM by singnomore »

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 04:12:05 AM »
They are my #1 band, but they're not even close to the band I listen to the most.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I'm still waiting
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 05:04:46 AM »
U2 has been my number 1 band since I first heard Electric Co in the early-mid 80's - can't remember exactly what year I first heard them. I love some other music (mostly classic rock), and I listen to other music, but U2 are absolutely my favorite. I think it's fine that U2 fans use other artists as their avatar. And, I completely understand why fans who favor other artists above U2 come to this forum. We are all still U2 fans at heart. THAT is what brings people here. I hope.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 07:20:48 AM »
I have two subcategories, favorite active band and favorite inactive band.  U2 are definitely my favorite active band while Led Zeppelin would be my favorite inactive band.  I know, really boring picks but hey, no accounting for taste I guess.  8)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 07:24:56 AM »
They're still my favorite band and have been since 2002, though I will admit that I've grown tired of the constant delays, excuses, and pandering that they seem to cling to these days. Even if they lose that top spot some day they'll still be a band I'll always listen to and love.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 07:35:25 AM »
They used to be absolutely my number 1 band and I have probably never loved another band/artist as much as I loved u2 at the peak of things with them.

AB/Pop/Zooropa stand right at the top of/very near the very top of my favourite albums of all time list and the the two tours that supported them are the best gigs I have seen or certainly again are right up there in the argument.

My 'problem' with placing u2 at the very top overall comes from just how badly I rate what they did from 2000 on....quite simply if that was all they had done I wouldn't even have given them a 2nd glance/listen and they wouldn't be anywhere on my radar....

I am pretty non plussed either way about their 80's work - TUF I love, the rest is a mix of the OK and the pretty mediocre to me, with a fair bit of awful and the odd brilliant moment....I wouldn't really call myself a fan of the band until AB came along.

All that said though my love of the 90's stuff was/is so strong that little has ever had the same effect on me so they retain largely on that a special place in my affections..  and even though I adore many artists who for me have done stuff that sits alongside or close to u2's 90's high peak and are doing stuff now that blows modern day u2 clean out of the water (Polly Jean I am looking at you) u2 remain special because of the history....

I spent my most active years of being a music fan following u2 - that time leaves an indelible mark that even Elevation can't wash away   ;)

As to how that all relates to being here - There aren't many forums for artists as active as this one - and after reading for many years I finally joined a few years ago and this place has become a daily part of my internet hobby....here, a couple of football forums, a general sports forum and one or two other music ones - I feel more inclined to post here than other places as I genuinely enjoy talking with people here....and reading the stuff that is posted here - I waste time on the internet (maybe a little too much) and that time I do have to waste I waste quite a bit of it here because I like here.

U2 are pretty much my biggest musical love historically but aren't an artist I am actively passionately in love with - we have sort of settled into a staying together for the kids type of thing! But we are good friends who just sometimes are good f*** buddies!  :)...and when we were at it, there was nobody who has quite matched how it was then...I've changed and they have changed and that is OK, we'll always have POP!  ;D

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:39:25 AM by an tha »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 08:06:56 AM »
They were my favourite band in the 80s and in the middle of that decade they were pretty much all I wanted to hear.  I waited for each release with great impatience, and tried to get hold of as many bootlegs as I could.  But by the end of the decade I was listening to lots of other artists too.

U2 released great records in the 90s and beyond but they were not the most important band in my life at that point.  Yet I recognise that this was the period when they were releasing arguably their best recordings.  I still followed them, and still do now, listening to each release and going to see them when they tour.  I like most of what they’ve put out and enjoyed every U2 show I’ve seen, so I am happy to come here and join the debate.

I am heartened by this forum as it is active and reveals a large section of the fanbase is critical and reflective.  That suggests that U2 have made challenging and intelligent records over their 40 years, so maybe we should give them a pat on the back for that.

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 08:28:27 AM »
u2 been my no1 fave band, since some point in 1982. NOBODY will ever replace them in my affections. We have been thro such a journey together

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Refugee
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 08:35:50 AM »
Even if the last record I enjoyed was HTDAAB, all the great music they did means the world to me and gives me something no other artist past/present/future will ever do.

So the answer is yes. They are and they'll always be my favourite band ever.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 09:08:58 AM »
I'd say U2 was #1 up through the mid-2000's.  They were my first favorite, and probably most intense favorite.  That said, Pink Floyd has always been the big "other" band for me, and at this point, I probably rate them higher over-all.  They simply never quite fell off/embarrassed themselves the same way U2 has, and I've admired their refusal to go for hits and mainstream success the same way U2 has.

But, I feel my time as a U2 fan has made me able to discuss them more in-depth than just about anything else, and this forum is mostly a good collection of folks--some maybe a bit fanatical about the band, but not everyone, and many who are capable of discussing stuff OTHER than U2, in addition to the band.  It's a nice place to hang out, even for someone who doesn't quite consider themselves to be a super-fan these days.  Put it this way: I wouldn't expect a Pink Floyd forum to cater to the breadth of topics, both band-related and not, that folks here do.  I wouldn't expect Pink Floyd fans to indulge in long discussions of U2, but I've enjoyed long discussions about Pink Floyd (and Depeche Mode, and others) here.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • take the long way home
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 09:10:03 AM »
They're my #1 current band, and probably my #2 overall. The Beatles are my #1, while U2 and Zeppelin perpetually fight over the #2 spot.