Author Topic: Is U2 not your #1 band?  (Read 1278 times)

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Re: Is U2 not your #1 band?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 09:50:24 AM »
they've been my number one since high school and Oasis has always been close behind.  Honestly though, my fandom has probably waned in the last 10 years but they are still my number one.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 08:06:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Not my No. 1 band. Really, really like them.

Enough to be on here. Enough to be stupid enough to be a paying member of u2.com.

So do you participate on your other favorite band(s) forums?

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »
As to how that all relates to being here - There aren't many forums for artists as active as this one - and after reading for many years I finally joined a few years ago and this place has become a daily part of my internet hobby....here, a couple of football forums, a general sports forum and one or two other music ones - I feel more inclined to post here than other places as I genuinely enjoy talking with people here....and reading the stuff that is posted here - I waste time on the internet (maybe a little too much) and that time I do have to waste I waste quite a bit of it here because I like here.

U2 are pretty much my biggest musical love historically but aren't an artist I am actively passionately in love with - we have sort of settled into a staying together for the kids type of thing! But we are good friends who just sometimes are good f*** buddies!  :)...and when we were at it, there was nobody who has quite matched how it was then...I've changed and they have changed and that is OK, we'll always have POP!  ;D

I can totally relate to the marriage scenario. I do love the band with every inch of my soul, but sometimes I'm not in love with them. And then they go and do something that makes me fall in love all over again. I guess that what happens when you've been with someone for 30 years  ;)

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 08:14:22 PM »
u2 been my no1 fave band, since some point in 1982. NOBODY will ever replace them in my affections. We have been thro such a journey together

Very well said. '85 for me. And while I do love other artists, no one can ever replace U2.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »

But, I feel my time as a U2 fan has made me able to discuss them more in-depth than just about anything else, and this forum is mostly a good collection of folks--some maybe a bit fanatical about the band, but not everyone, and many who are capable of discussing stuff OTHER than U2, in addition to the band.  It's a nice place to hang out, even for someone who doesn't quite consider themselves to be a super-fan these days.  Put it this way: I wouldn't expect a Pink Floyd forum to cater to the breadth of topics, both band-related and not, that folks here do.  I wouldn't expect Pink Floyd fans to indulge in long discussions of U2, but I've enjoyed long discussions about Pink Floyd (and Depeche Mode, and others) here.

Interesting perspective, thank you!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »

Enough to be on here. Enough to be stupid enough to be a paying member of u2.com.

good question. i'm active on the "main" Weezer fan forum, i used to use the Killer's official forum and i have tons of other bands forums i've posted on a handful of times.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 08:33:33 AM »
A very close second. Oasis takes the number one spot but I frequent this forum and the Live4Ever forum.

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • To tell the truth, this could be the last time
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 08:54:48 AM »
U2 and Paramore are 1a and 1b

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »
U2 is my favorite and to be honest I'm to lazy to find another favorite band.  Been a fan most of my life and I still like what they produce at their worst over much of the other music out there.

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 01:48:16 PM »
This may be a surprise, but U2 isn't my favorite band. However, they are easily my favorite band that's still around. My favorite, without a doubt, is The Beatles. Bob Dylan and U2 are always competing for #2.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 02:17:54 PM »
Its kind of weird for me because I became a HUGE fan because of TJT and AB albums and how the tracks from those albums played a part in my life growing up, but a lot of the music on their post Pop albums isn't the kind of music i listen to by anyone else, but because its U2, i do listen to it.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2017, 05:14:42 PM »
I have an account on quite a few bands' fan forums, mainly because I don't want to miss any new releases by those bands, side-projects or related artists. That has worked pretty well so far.

Also, I listen to so much different stuff these days that I don't think I even have a favourite band anymore. Yet, I can still recognize a great song when I hear it, and U2 have written and recorded quite a lot of great songs.

Offline Rasmus

• Stateless
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2017, 05:37:18 PM »
From 1997 (when I became a fan at 14 years old) to around 2005 they were my absolute favorite. I'm not a fan of their direction since HTDAAB and I dont particularly like any of the last 3 albums. I dont hate them they are just too middle of the road compared to the band i loved in the 90's.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »
U2 and I divorced amicably years ago. I still love them, but I'm seeing other bands now that are fulfilling what I need in life.

1980s to ATYCLB -- yes, without a doubt, my favourite band.

Now I'm listening to artists like Buffalo Daughter more and more. But my tastes are pretty eclectic, and my musical mood changes often.

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2017, 07:43:24 PM »

I do.