Author Topic: Is U2 not your #1 band?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
Re: Is U2 not your #1 band?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2017, 08:35:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
From 1997 (when I became a fan at 14 years old) to around 2005 they were my absolute favorite. I'm not a fan of their direction since HTDAAB and I dont particularly like any of the last 3 albums. I dont hate them they are just too middle of the road compared to the band i loved in the 90's.

This theme of "I used to love them but now I don't" is pretty consistent. I guess I'm trying to understand why anyone would spend time here if you don't love them anymore. For instance, I used to love the Tragically Hip, but I haven't enjoyed any of their albums or songs since ~2000. I am not on any Hip forum. I didn't even bother to go to any concerts on their final tour last year because I don't love them anymore. So if you're not in love with the band, why would you (and the others who share this sentiment; not picking on you Rasmus) bother with the forum?

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2017, 09:02:02 PM »
Current band they are my #1.

All time #1 The Beatles.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 05:33:56 AM »
From 1997 (when I became a fan at 14 years old) to around 2005 they were my absolute favorite. I'm not a fan of their direction since HTDAAB and I dont particularly like any of the last 3 albums. I dont hate them they are just too middle of the road compared to the band i loved in the 90's.

This theme of "I used to love them but now I don't" is pretty consistent. I guess I'm trying to understand why anyone would spend time here if you don't love them anymore. For instance, I used to love the Tragically Hip, but I haven't enjoyed any of their albums or songs since ~2000. I am not on any Hip forum. I didn't even bother to go to any concerts on their final tour last year because I don't love them anymore. So if you're not in love with the band, why would you (and the others who share this sentiment; not picking on you Rasmus) bother with the forum?
That's true, but I wonder how that compares to fanaticism in general? As we get old, I think focus obviously changes (for better or worse).

I love em, have been a fan for more than twice as long as I haven't. The band and discussing them brought me to this place but it's discussion of other things with people from around the world that has kept me here largely.

I used to get about on blur and manics forums but they're just not active enough and didn't contain the volume of appreciation threads that I so crave

LightMyWay92

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2017, 06:03:16 AM »
I can't imagine having so much free time that I could post on a forum dedicated to anyone of anything less than not only my favorite band, but the band of my life. I envy anyone who has that much time!

LightMyWay92

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2017, 06:07:45 AM »

I have been wondering about that for a very long time.  There's no way I would still have enough interest (or want to spare the time) to belong to and regularly post on a forum for a band whose music I haven't really liked for quite a while.  That never made sense to me.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2017, 06:08:15 AM »

Your question here seems to have largely been answered in previous posts....I know I certainly did.

Offline U21978man

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »
Definetl'y U2 #1 for me IMO best live sound & show in the world  ;D !

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Refugee
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2017, 12:08:25 PM »
Led Zeppelin are my favorite band ever and The Beatles are probably the best band of all time, but U2 are way up there and still very special to me.  I've never joined a Beatles or Led Zeppelin forum.  I guess it's because there's no new material coming from them.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2017, 06:30:24 PM »
U2's career still spans over 40 years at this point; they've released lots of great music and toured many great tours. Why stop browsing a fan forum just because you don't love U2's most recent output?

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2017, 08:29:16 PM »

Your question here seems to have largely been answered in previous posts....I know I certainly did.

That's correct, you did answer, as did some others. The answers have been diverse and perhaps the people who didn't answer the question directly have a different reason for being here....My curiosity knows no bounds.....

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2017, 08:43:54 PM »

to find old obscure demos songs etc that you may not have known about otherwise. i def keep finding gold after my 20 year journey with U2. and it's about the only place i can go to fully nerd out over U2. it's not like the forums only discuss the NEW stuff.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2017, 08:45:07 PM »
U2's career still spans over 40 years at this point; they've released lots of great music and toured many great tours. Why stop browsing a fan forum just because you don't love U2's most recent output?

exactly. ive def stuck around forums after a band has released several horrible albums.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2017, 08:49:28 PM »
It's not a matter of just not loving their latest output. The band can be your #1 band without loving every single piece of music they've ever produced.

I guess we're all wired differently. Like LightMyWay92 said, I don't have the time or the inclination to belong to a fan forum for an artist I'm not passionate about. As I've learned in this thread, some people do have the desire to belong to multiple communities, whether they are active or simply browsers.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2017, 08:56:28 PM »

That's true, but I wonder how that compares to fanaticism in general? As we get old, I think focus obviously changes (for better or worse).

I love em, have been a fan for more than twice as long as I haven't. The band and discussing them brought me to this place but it's discussion of other things with people from around the world that has kept me here largely.

I used to get about on blur and manics forums but they're just not active enough and didn't contain the volume of appreciation threads that I so crave

My father always told me "Your fanaticism is going to change, Tart. U2 may be your favorite band now, but that will change with age". 32 years later......Granted my fandom for other bands has changed over the years (i.e. The Hip, Pink Floyd) so I can understand that it does happen.

And we love your discussion of other things Briscoe  ;)

Interesting to hear about the activity (or lack thereof) on other forums. No appreciation threads????

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2017, 08:57:19 PM »

to find old obscure demos songs etc that you may not have known about otherwise. i def keep finding gold after my 20 year journey with U2. and it's about the only place i can go to fully nerd out over U2. it's not like the forums only discuss the NEW stuff.

Thanks THRILLHO.