Author Topic: The Man Who Broke Ticketmaster - Motherboard  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Administrator
  • Running to Stand Still
  • Deserve's got nothin' to do with it
The Man Who Broke Ticketmaster - Motherboard
« on: February 10, 2017, 11:31:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Giga Razor

• Stateless
Re: The Man Who Broke Ticketmaster - Motherboard
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 03:53:43 PM »
Oh so that's where they went,U2 and their fellow pop stars need to find another way of distributing tickets because these bots are ruining it for the fan's Photo ID,Barcodes,,ticketless gigs where a unique code is sent to your phone should  be used all the time making it virtually impossible for vultures to get their hands on multiple tickets,If for some reason  you can't attend you notify the agent and your code gets reassigned to another fan  within a reasonable time frame .Being a member of U2.com I thought I'd have no problems getting a ticket via the pre sale for Dublin but not being in the elite 1st day presale I couldn't get any on the 2nd day ,then thousands turn up on seatwave at nearly ten times the original value, people who had no attention of going just signed up to U2.com so they could make  a huge profit on seatwave which by the way is legal and another branch of Ticketmaster.

Offline nunoricardovaz

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 03:58:18 PM »
Impressive.

Offline fishcci

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 04:53:01 PM »
Great, enlightening article-especially the part on fan club presales and the point made about how artists lowering prices has the paradoxical effect of serving the scalpers....

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 05:23:00 PM »
this lad is no different to what ticketmaster now actively promote as a legit business...

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 05:33:24 PM »
Yeah, it's really going to take a few different things to get rid of scalping:

1) Make it a crime to resell tickets above face value (and shut down any businesses who do this including places like Stubhub)--this will probably be up to individual states and countries to do

2) require ID along with credit cards for entry (and actually enforce this)

3) Ticketmaster must stop allowing scalping to take place on their site--if they're going to do "fan to fan" resale, make sure the price cannot be set any higher than face value

You can't end scalping/touting overnight, but applying each of these should get rid of it. 1 will mean the government prosecuting every person or company that attempts to sell above face value. You have to make scalping as risky of a proposition as possible...right now there are zero repercussions for it. 2 is something they've been trying to do with lax enforcement of the ID requirement. This needs to change. 3 Ticketmaster should have never setup fan to fan resale with the ability to sell higher than face value.

Next, bands with fanclub presales need to be stricter about membership. I've heard of scalpers who buy memberships just to snatch up as many tickets as possible during the presale. When a promo code is entered to do the fan sale, Ticketmaster should be able to report back to the fan club what tickets were purchased with what code. And then when those tickets show up on the after market with a higher than face value price, the fan club should know exactly who did it and ban them for life. No exceptions.

The idea that bands should raise already crazy expensive prices to "make" scalping less appealing is ridiculous. Fans should not be priced out of seeing bands/artists they like. If anything, ticket prices should come down a bit. Why should the fans have to pay more because of scalpers?

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 06:02:24 PM »
Ticketmaster only cares about one thing = $$$. They don't give a sh** who's buying the tickets, they just care they're selling.

Bands need to tell Ticketmaster to f*** off and devise a new system. U2's big enough to do it. But it doesn't matter what you do, scalpers will find a way. The best outcome is to minimize scalping -- you'll never eradicate it completely.

Online missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 07:37:19 PM »
Very enlightening.  Don't see any long term solution any time soon.  Thanks for posting Hawk.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 09:26:45 PM »
I used to work at an amusement park we had a concert venue and a ticket master box office.  I would buy my ticket first and never got better than 4th row. At the venue, and I was the one selling the tickets!

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 04:12:49 AM »
The only other thing to really criticize is the exorbitant "service fees". Seriously, my GA ticket for U2 this summer was "$70" at face value, but came out to right around $100 after these fees. That's, what, about a 35% price increase? With all of this talk about "resale tickets can never exceed face value" (I am a member of a Facebook group that strictly enforces this), why shouldn't people be alllwed to also include the extra fees that they were forced to pay in their price, thus selling it at the same price that they themselves had already paid?

Online Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 07:50:14 AM »
We need to get back to the days of good old queing at outlets to get tickets. Its by far the fairest system for fans

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • http://www.u2gigs.com/myshows/31519
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 07:57:41 AM »

1) Make it a crime to resell tickets above face value (and shut down any businesses who do this including places like Stubhub)--this will probably be up to individual states and countries to do

3) Ticketmaster must stop allowing scalping to take place on their site--if they're going to do "fan to fan" resale, make sure the price cannot be set any higher than face value

You can't end scalping/touting overnight, but applying each of these should get rid of it. 1 will mean the government prosecuting every person or company that attempts to sell above face value. You have to make scalping as risky of a proposition as possible...right now there are zero repercussions for it. 2 is something they've been trying to do with lax enforcement of the ID requirement. This needs to change. 3 Ticketmaster should have never setup fan to fan resale with the ability to sell higher than face value.

Next, bands with fanclub presales need to be stricter about membership. I've heard of scalpers who buy memberships just to snatch up as many tickets as possible during the presale. When a promo code is entered to do the fan sale, Ticketmaster should be able to report back to the fan club what tickets were purchased with what code. And then when those tickets show up on the after market with a higher than face value price, the fan club should know exactly who did it and ban them for life. No exceptions.

The idea that bands should raise already crazy expensive prices to "make" scalping less appealing is ridiculous. Fans should not be priced out of seeing bands/artists they like. If anything, ticket prices should come down a bit. Why should the fans have to pay more because of scalpers?

How does the biggest boycott by fans ever sound. That'll show em.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 02:35:22 PM »
The only other thing to really criticize is the exorbitant "service fees". Seriously, my GA ticket for U2 this summer was "$70" at face value, but came out to right around $100 after these fees. That's, what, about a 35% price increase? With all of this talk about "resale tickets can never exceed face value" (I am a member of a Facebook group that strictly enforces this), why shouldn't people be alllwed to also include the extra fees that they were forced to pay in their price, thus selling it at the same price that they themselves had already paid?

Face value for resale tickets should mean the value of the ticket plus any fees you are forced to pay. I think the fan group you're referring to (I am in it as well) allows its members to sell tickets for the face value plus service fees. Note that fanclub membership is NOT a service fee you should pass onto buyers. It was your choice to buy the fan club membership (which entitles you to other perks). I've seen people try to do this and it does not seem right to me.

How does the biggest boycott by fans ever sound. That'll show em.

It's a nice idea, but I don't think enough fans have the guts to follow through with it. Most fans who want to see them live aren't going to give up a chance to do so, especially given their age. We don't know how many more U2 tours we'll get.

Offline u2beez

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 05:52:07 PM »
Ticketmaster only cares about one thing = $$$. They don't give a sh** who's buying the tickets, they just care they're selling.

Bands need to tell Ticketmaster to f*** off and devise a new system. U2's big enough to do it. But it doesn't matter what you do, scalpers will find a way. The best outcome is to minimize scalping -- you'll never eradicate it completely.

Ask Pearl Jam how that worked out for them........

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 07:26:05 PM »
Great article, thanks for sharing.