Author Topic: Can U2 have another radio hit?  (Read 5672 times)

Offline Tassoula

• Babyface
Can U2 have another radio hit?
« on: February 11, 2017, 07:19:50 PM »
I listened to the atu2 podcast last week and in one part of the discussion, Andy Greene from Rolling Stone mentions that he doesn't think U2 has another radio hit like "Beautiful Day" in them.

I happen to disagree, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

What do you all think?

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Re: Can U2 have another radio hit?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 07:27:50 PM »
I highly doubt it. They could have maybe had the chance at the beginning of this decade if they had put out an album then (and one that was better than NLOTH).

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 07:30:43 PM »
I think radio is dying and soon that won't matter. 

I think their last album was full of radio hits, but radio didn't play them.  It's a rigged system.  The largest owner of staton iHeart can add one song to tons of stations all over the US.  It's not like you can call and request anymore. And kids don't even listen to the radio unless they are in their car with their parents.

A large portion of the audience knew the words to the new stuff on the I and E tour without radio airplay.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 07:53:38 PM »
I don't think it's possible. If it were possible, Every Breaking Wave would have been a hit or Song For Someone. Both songs got a little bit of airplay but far from what it would have been if the songs would have been released 10-15 years ago.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 08:25:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I listened to the atu2 podcast last week and in one part of the discussion, Andy Greene from Rolling Stone mentions that he doesn't think U2 has another radio hit like "Beautiful Day" in them.

I happen to disagree, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

What do you all think?

I think they had several potential radio hits on SOI, but didn't release them as singles for some unfathomable reason. So, yes, it seems entirely possible if they make the right choices.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 09:10:31 PM »
I agree Canadanne. They fluffed around with EBW instead of just throwing it out there, sink or swim. Miracle was the wrong first choice, but it made a nice sound byte for the Apple launch so that was their reason for that (and thinking it'd be Vertigo 2.0). I just don't understand why they didn't push The Troubles when The Walking Dead featured it -- that was a huge failure by Oseary, who as manager should have been jumping all over the opportunity. California would have made a nice quick single, it's radio friendly, great hook.

At the end of the day, I just can't work out why. They obviously put a lot of work into shooting videos, photo shoots. Too comfortable and not fussed whether they got a hit or not? Self doubt? Did the Apple brouhaha throw them off? Who knows. All I know is The Troubles deserved better, California is a catchy song, and Sleep Like A Baby is their most musically interesting song since Pop. But for whatever reason, they went on stage with Apple like firecrackers, then got shy and fizzled out. 

Too much umm-ing and ahh-ing.

Offline FaltuMiah

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 09:24:09 PM »
Short answer....No

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 09:52:17 PM »
They absolutely have the material. What's working against them, in my opinion, is age and perception.

One the one hand, I think they are still operating at a high level and I would love for them to have a huge hit -- I think their material is worthy. On the other hand, there's a part of me that wishes they didn't give a flip about whether or not they had a hit.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:02:00 PM by NOLA Fly »

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • take the long way home
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 09:59:17 PM »
Probably not in the USA.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 10:44:08 PM »
absolutely they do.

if they act their age and write something that means something to them, outside of grasping for the attention of millennials.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 10:57:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
absolutely they do.

if they act their age and write something that means something to them, outside of grasping for the attention of millennials.

Yep. The Troubles should have been pushed. Even SLABT. Imagine if they'd released SLABT, the media attention it would have created! Would the band want to discuss SLABT's subject matter on the interview circuit? So they had two great tunes, mature songs among their best, and one had already gained new fans thanks to The Walking Dead... But no, they wanted a safe radio hit that has catchy sound bytes for Apple commercials.

How much is Oseary getting paid?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:01:01 PM by The Edges Cat »

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 11:13:06 PM »
It depends on the definition of radio hit I suppose.
If you ask if the band has the potential to reach out to 18-30yr olds via radio then the answer is probably no.
If you ask if they can achieve an A list rotation on a station that has a more mature demographic then the answer would be yes.
U2s problem is that they always aim for the first option with a polished, sanitised sound that falls somewhere in the middle of Pop and dad rock that doesn't really reach out to anyone other than U2 fans.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 11:24:36 PM »
Do people still listen to radio? I imagine for U2 to have another hit, it would have to make a huge TV social media statement.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 11:57:47 PM »
With the way their song writing process is working right now... no.

If U2 was acting like U2, and not striving to become a band that they are not, then yes.

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Refugee
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Can U2 have another radio hit?
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 03:41:59 AM »
No. For three reasons:

1) They're essentially irrelevant and they're image is doomed (SOI release, perception of Bono, etc)

2) It's extremely hard for an over 50 band to have a smash hit.
Teens and twenty-something simply don't care about you.

3) They're convinced that in order to claim attention they need to churn out bland pop tunes, whereas an unexpected turn musically wise would make much more noise than an EBW or TMOJR.
Take Radiohead: they don't need to make pop songs to generate interest, they just make whatever music they want to do.