Author Topic: Can U2 have another radio hit?  (Read 5673 times)

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
Re: Can U2 have another radio hit?
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2017, 04:32:19 AM »
Agreed...who cares about the charts anyway? I don't want a hit song...I want a good song.

Stakes being high...pah.

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2017, 06:46:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I listened to the atu2 podcast last week and in one part of the discussion, Andy Greene from Rolling Stone mentions that he doesn't think U2 has another radio hit like "Beautiful Day" in them.

I happen to disagree, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.

What do you all think?

I agreed with Andy that chasing a top radio hit may not be a good strategy anyway.  Radio is not the format it was when U2 was mainstay of college radio in the 80s or when you had tons of indie stations.  All these stations are now owned by a handful of companies, and getting airplay is more about how well you leverage contracts and what you do promotionally than how popular your song is.

Also, at this stage in their career U2 is most likely not going to win over a lot of new fans.  At this point, I think people know about U2 and either like them or don't like them.

They are better off catering to their core fan base - which is large and global - and maybe leveraging that to get into a different type of chart like a Spotify Viral 50 or something.  For example - a Depeche Mode song is #30 on that chart right now.  That seems very doable for U2.

Offline Nagrom76

• Refugee
  • Bacon
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2017, 08:29:35 AM »
No. But with Lillywhite on board now, that'll be their main focus - ugh. Any notion to this album being experimental a la Pop/Zorropa/AB is nonsense. You already get the idea by those song titles. Compare those to Zooropa titles and we will get SOI 2. No doubt....did I mention Lillywhite is producing?

Offline pdk

• Refugee
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2017, 09:39:52 AM »
u2 are men who are nearly 60....men of nearly 60 do not have chart hits and frankly men of nearly 60 shouldn't give a monkeys about chart hits...especially men of nearly 60 who have a legacy like the one u2 have.

If SoE turns into a blatant attempt to conquer the charts then u2 will have once again made a bad call.

I for one don't care if they conquer the charts or not - they aren't a football team i support and want to see win the league or cup....i want them to make music that hopeflully i enjoy and like and that challenges me....U2 are no longer in the rat race that is chart music - or at least not in my book. I never cared if they were number 1 or number 100 personally...I cared about how I felt about the songs.

It makes zero difference to me if it conquers the charts or not...so they have a massive hit lets say with a vapid, deep as a puddle pop song that has been deliberately crafted and tailored to get on radio and is the sound of a band chasing a hit - so what, what is good about that?...unless you have some weird desire to see u2 sell lots of records and claim that as some kind of victory...

Now if they happen to have a big hit and it is a song that turns the status quo upside down and is a hit all on its own terms then hey - well done....that however is very unlikely.

As for "the stakes being high" and there being "no option" i could not disagree more.

Good morning from Florida an-tha,

I agree with you 100%.

The thing is, against our desires and recommendations, their musical ambitions and aspirations may still (cuz it always was) be competitively aimed at artists who get heard the most.

Them getting into a room and "blatantly attempting" a specific type of music sounds so contrived and contrary to the openess (spiritual to some) aspect of playing where pure inspiration is encouraged to arrive.  Putting an ambition first has to inhibit the creative process.  In fact in my case, it had for years.

Going in with an open mindset can get you to an opened state of playing where you aren't writing... you are listening and the music starts telling you what to.  It doesn't always tell a perfect story... but the authenticity is undeniable by 90% of people who hear it... and it is very rewarding to the conduit... and lastly impressing the world doesn't matter....because you did something most people will never experience... and that feeling...whoa.

My favorite U2 has that... and most of the songs you like...have that in my opinion (cuz I like them too).

I just wish they would do that.  The craftiness they have practices for the last almost 30 years is now infused in them.  Just let the music flow!

Pardon the rambling.... it happens once in a while.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:41:52 AM by pdk »

Offline pdk

• Refugee
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »
No. But with Lillywhite on board now, that'll be their main focus - ugh. Any notion to this album being experimental a la Pop/Zorropa/AB is nonsense. You already get the idea by those song titles. Compare those to Zooropa titles and we will get SOI 2. No doubt....did I mention Lillywhite is producing?

You would think with the "Experience" aspect of the concept they would get producers with a broader musical pallette and more attention to detail than Lillywhite.

Lillywhite chases the hit while not cultivating the rhythmic elements toward the bottom of the sound spectrum.  Lanois whipped the rhythm section to a new level, Flood recognizes,  and even more modern producers place more emphasis there than Lillywhite.

Lillywhite can mix, but he wouldn't be my pick for initial production and engineering.

That said, it could be a good thing to take these fully-formed current songs and have Lillywhite bring his mojo to these elements.  The songs are formed and they are rehearsing for recording with Lillywhite per the article.  You could get a well-rounded product that encompasses all of U2's strengths past and present.

Just a thought.  Bringing in Lillywhite to the completion of "Songs of Experience".  The 2nd half of the story of U2 while bringing in their first producer.  It would make a poetic ending to the band.  If they bring in Eno and Lanois... get scared.  LOL
Of course, U2 the profit-driven corporation will outlive us all.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2017, 10:14:27 AM »
U2 will score a hit in '17.  As Tassoula pointed out, U2 has made wrong decisions in the last decade which caused real setbacks.  Now with their backs against the wall of relevance, there is good indication they're willing to make some concessions to tap into the freshest of sounds and put out a single that has been purified and blessed by the industry.
Legacy fans can enjoy what will be a thrilling trip through Joshua Tree this year, and if they don't care for the new material I am sure they will respect the band's right to launch a new rocket with SoE.
I think SoE will be the most commercial and accessible U2 album since ATYCLB.  That means some fans won't embrace it right away, perhaps like many didn't get POP.  But it must be released and it absolutely must matter.
The SoI songs were so strong conceptually, lyrically and melodically.  Name another U2 album that you just can't stop singing like SoI.
However, SoI made three albums in a row that missed the mark from a production standpoint.  On all three, U2 was very conservative from the standpoint of a "hot" sound.  With the exception of Vertigo, there was nothing that reached a wide audience.  There is no option this time - the stakes are as high as they can get.
1) U2 won't score a hit.

2) The stakes aren't high at all. So what if the album fails, they will all still be millionaires and just keep riding off of past success to keep touring behind 20 year-old albums.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2017, 01:05:02 PM »
u2 are men who are nearly 60....men of nearly 60 do not have chart hits and frankly men of nearly 60 shouldn't give a monkeys about chart hits...especially men of nearly 60 who have a legacy like the one u2 have.

If SoE turns into a blatant attempt to conquer the charts then u2 will have once again made a bad call.

I for one don't care if they conquer the charts or not - they aren't a football team i support and want to see win the league or cup....i want them to make music that hopeflully i enjoy and like and that challenges me....U2 are no longer in the rat race that is chart music - or at least not in my book. I never cared if they were number 1 or number 100 personally...I cared about how I felt about the songs.

It makes zero difference to me if it conquers the charts or not...so they have a massive hit lets say with a vapid, deep as a puddle pop song that has been deliberately crafted and tailored to get on radio and is the sound of a band chasing a hit - so what, what is good about that?...unless you have some weird desire to see u2 sell lots of records and claim that as some kind of victory...

Now if they happen to have a big hit and it is a song that turns the status quo upside down and is a hit all on its own terms then hey - well done....that however is very unlikely.

As for "the stakes being high" and there being "no option" i could not disagree more.

Good morning from Florida an-tha,

I agree with you 100%.

The thing is, against our desires and recommendations, their musical ambitions and aspirations may still (cuz it always was) be competitively aimed at artists who get heard the most.

Them getting into a room and "blatantly attempting" a specific type of music sounds so contrived and contrary to the openess (spiritual to some) aspect of playing where pure inspiration is encouraged to arrive.  Putting an ambition first has to inhibit the creative process.  In fact in my case, it had for years.

Going in with an open mindset can get you to an opened state of playing where you aren't writing... you are listening and the music starts telling you what to.  It doesn't always tell a perfect story... but the authenticity is undeniable by 90% of people who hear it... and it is very rewarding to the conduit... and lastly impressing the world doesn't matter....because you did something most people will never experience... and that feeling...whoa.

My favorite U2 has that... and most of the songs you like...have that in my opinion (cuz I like them too).

I just wish they would do that.  The craftiness they have practices for the last almost 30 years is now infused in them.  Just let the music flow!

Pardon the rambling.... it happens once in a while.

Good evening from London, Sir...

Good points you raise too...as for rambling - hey I am first division in that respect so no need to apologise!

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2017, 01:31:15 PM »
Song For Someone had fairly significant play on my local rock radio channel. I was surprised.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2017, 05:37:25 PM »
They need a collaboration with a cool kid.  My pick would be Lady Gaga or Pink
Or Kendrick Lamar...

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2017, 03:22:13 PM »
They need a collaboration with a cool kid.  My pick would be Lady Gaga or Pink
Or Kendrick Lamar...
glad they listen to me even if they chose a different cool kid. Now bring back MacPhisto on a you tube channel

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2017, 03:29:18 PM »
Here is my next idea a song under a pseudonym band name.  You know something appealing to the kids like unicorn poop or whatever lol. Anyway kids don't like to admit old people can still be cool.