Author Topic: Can U2 have another radio hit?  (Read 4112 times)

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Can U2 have another radio hit?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2017, 03:21:09 PM »
That "Best Thing" song is catchy as f***.  If that were released by another newer band, it'd probably be a hit.  But the fact that it's U2, it would be a bunch of 55 year olds that would look weird for trying to make a song like that, and also it would be stacked up against U2's previously achievements and quickly be dismissed.  U2 CAN NOT have a hit anymore, at least not in the sense that they want to.

But I have been wondering... what SHOULD they be doing?  Most bands in their position just churn out an album every few years in order to justify another big money making tour.  The new albums make little impact, they play a few songs from it, and that's about it. 

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2017, 03:23:51 PM »
they can have a hit as song as the are true to themselves in an artistic sense and not desperate grab at a top 40 hit.

they should be making music for themselves like Radiohead are.

and since a few of you think theres not a chance "kids" will like them, they really dont have any choice but to do it the right way.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2017, 03:36:15 PM »
I appreciate that in the USA there is a very different 'charts' scene to here in the UK with multiple types of chart - but does anyone want to take a guess at when u2 last had a 'Top 10' hit on the 'main' USA chart?...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:37:49 PM by an tha »

Online riffraff

• Acrobat
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2017, 03:36:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I appreciate that in the USA there is a very different 'charts' scene to here in the UK with multiple tyoes of chart - but does anyone want to take a guess at when u2 last had a 'Top 10' hit on the 'main' USA chart?...
I bet it was back in the AB era???

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2017, 03:37:27 PM »
I appreciate that in the USA there is a very different 'charts' scene to here in the UK with multiple tyoes of chart - but does anyone want to take a guess at when u2 last had a 'Top 10' hit on the 'main' USA chart?...

Not far away...

Online riffraff

• Acrobat
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2017, 03:45:14 PM »

Not far away...
do tell...

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2017, 03:57:07 PM »

Not far away...
do tell...

well according to wiki.....DISCOTHEQUE in 1997.

i am assuming it is correct...i am not saying it is especially revealing as their are lots of things that have changed since then.

what it does suggest though is just how hard it would be now.

interestingly their last top 40 hit in the USA (according to wiki again) was Boots which reached No. 37....Even the accepted big hits of Beautiful Day and Vertigo only charted at 21 and 31 respectively on that main USA chart....according to wiki.

All that said some of the JT singles aside and a couple of the AB singles it looks like U2 have never really had big chart singles in America - interestingly The Fly was the worst charting AB single in America.

Here their last two 'hits' were Crazy Tonight which  scraped into the Top 40 at 32....last time they troubled the top ten was with Window in the Skies in 2007.

Personally i don't care about the charts and they are of course a very different measure to what they once were - but these facts do hint at just how hard it would be for u2 to crack them again.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 04:00:47 PM by an tha »

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2017, 03:58:50 PM »

Not far away...
do tell...

discotheque. Bday was 21 and Vertigo was 31. here in Dallas those were everywhere. Despite no being #1 they do still get played..everywhere....

Online riffraff

• Acrobat
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2017, 04:04:44 PM »

Not far away...
do tell...

well according to wiki.....DISCOTHEQUE in 1997.

i am assuming it is correct...i am not saying it is especially revealing as their are lots of things that have changed since then.

what it does suggest though is just how hard it would be now.

interestingly their last top 40 hit in the USA (according to wiki again) was Boots which reached No. 37....Even the accepted big hits of Beautiful Day and Vertigo only charted at 21 and 31 respectively on that main USA chart....according to wiki.

All that said some of the JT singles aside and a couple of the AB singles it looks like U2 have never really had big chart singles in America - interestingly The Fly was the worst charting AB single in America.

Here their last two 'hits' were Crazy Tonight which  scraped into the Top 40 at 32....last time they troubled the top ten was with Window in the Skies in 2007.

Personally i don't care about the charts and they are of course a very different measure to what they once were - but these facts do hint at just how hard it would be for u2 to crack them again.
Interesting...well, the American charts...unpredictable to say the least. Yeah, I don't think U2 will see the charts again. Except, in MY house, of course. Thanks for the info...very interesting.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2017, 04:36:27 PM »
Radio has changed. They only play stuff that tests well. New stuff generally doesn't test well at all because people don't recognize it when they overhear 30 seconds of it on the phone.

The only way they could get another radio hit in the current climate of the business is if they produced a song that annoys the sh*t out of every one of us here on this board and then some. I'm not saying they would not be capable of that, but would you really want them to try? I doubt it would sound good. They should leave that piece of the cake to Dr Luke and Max Martin. They own the oven, too, you know ;-)

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »
I don't think it's possible and it's less to do with the quality/catchiness of their music...and more to do with age. Take a look at the top hits on the pop charts for the past several years. Do you see anyone over 40 on there? How about over 50? Heck, even 15 years ago artists at this age had a tough time charting high and the music industry has greatly changed since then.

U2 could write the best song of their career in 2017, release it to the radio, and it wouldn't be a hit. It might crack the top 50, but no higher. Why? Because they're seen as old, not really "hip" with the youth of today, ESPECIALLY not after the iTunes debacle.

Sure, U2 could do a collab with a young, popular artist (much like Sir Paul did with Rihanna/Kanye West) to achieve a top 10 hit...but why do that? There's a significant chance of creating a song that is utterly terrible and hated by fans. If they did it right with a good popular artist of today, it might turn out to be pretty good, though.

Guys like Bruce Springsteen have come to accept that their time being all over pop radio is over. He doesn't care and continues to release new albums/almost constantly tour. U2 should do the same. Stop focusing on relevance, put out music THEY believe in (that may or may not be a hit), tour regularly, and embrace their legacy without resorting to nostalgia. They're a legendary band and do not need to cheapen themselves the way, say, Coldplay has over the last several years.

Oh and Coldplay? Martin & co are nearing 40. U2's last "hit" came around age 44/45. I can say with a certain degree of confidence that Coldplay won't be all over the radio in 5-10 years. They and similarly aged bands will fall victim to the same thing as U2, Springsteen, and others.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2017, 08:27:13 PM »
Yes they can.

It's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time, and a lot of luck.

While I don't have examples off-hand, I know there have been a number of aging artists who got some radio hits late in their careers - more as outliers than the norm though.

Can they do it? Yes.  Will it happen?  Now that is another question altogether that require a lot of circumstances coming together.

Cheers,

J

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2017, 08:55:20 PM »
Another factor that will make it much more difficult for U2 to achieve mainstream radio rotation is that the charts and radio play are no longer exclusive of one another. It used to be that a radio station would be the only place to hear a new song prior to release for up to a month.

A heavily rotated lead single would chart pretty well once released even if it was not the most immediately accessible of songs as they allowed for the listener to not judge a song on first listen, but over the three to four weeks prior to its release date.  U2 were switched on to this and used it to their advantage by using the build up of the hype to push lesser accessible lead singles from R&H through HTDAAB (excluding ATYCLB) to chart toppers despite them not being the best songs on the album (excluding The Fly).

NLOTH saw the band enter a new playing field where digital streaming replaced radio as the first chance to hear a track. More crucially, it meant that songs have no room to grow any more, as releases are no longer weeks into the future, they are instant and are judged immediately through chart positions based on number of downloads and, now, streams.  What we've seen is the relationship between radio play and chart positioning being flipped on its head, with the latter now dictating the former.

U2 found out the hard way that they no longer posses the pulling power they once did to get lead singles like Boots or The Miracle onto playlists from past achievements alone.  I don't know how much say the boys have in what songs get released but I find it incredibly naive that they should make this mistake with Boots and damn right suicidal to repeat it with The Miracle.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:18:33 PM by Blueyedboy »

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2017, 01:48:51 PM »
I'm a little sick of the argument that U2 would do better if they wrote songs they believe in, as if it's impossible for an artist to want to write songs like The Miracle, EBW and SFS.

Offline jordan

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2017, 02:51:06 PM »
Yah, I recall an interview with Jordan or Eve where they discussed how much effort Bono put into EBW.