Author Topic: Can U2 have another radio hit?  (Read 6438 times)

Offline lilyercs

• Wanderer
Re: Can U2 have another radio hit?
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2017, 02:51:33 PM »
SOI was completely derailed when Bono's bike accident. Remember they were supposed to be on Fallen 5x and push the songs but that never happened. We can't pass judgment until they have a proper promo toyr again.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2017, 07:51:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm a little sick of the argument that U2 would do better if they wrote songs they believe in, as if it's impossible for an artist to want to write songs like The Miracle, EBW and SFS.

It's not impossible. I don't even think people have an issue with those songs and their meanings, so much as the fact that they're overproduced. It seems like U2 gets an idea for a song with real potential, records it, then refines it over and over again until the result is that it's either (a) overproduced sounding or (b) scrapped entirely. Why do they do this? Because they seem desperate to get another radio hit and stay "relevant". Interviews over the last 8 years or so really point to this being the case.

For what it's worth, I really like EBW and SFS. EBW had great potential and is easily one of their better post-00s songs. SFS received a decent amount of airplay, but did not become a hit for whatever reason. It's certainly better than a lot of the stuff on pop radio, but compared to older U2 songs, it's on the weaker side. I don't get the hatred for Miracle.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2017, 09:00:22 PM »
I'm a little sick of the argument that U2 would do better if they wrote songs they believe in, as if it's impossible for an artist to want to write songs like The Miracle, EBW and SFS.

It's not impossible. I don't even think people have an issue with those songs and their meanings, so much as the fact that they're overproduced. It seems like U2 gets an idea for a song with real potential, records it, then refines it over and over again until the result is that it's either (a) overproduced sounding or (b) scrapped entirely. Why do they do this? Because they seem desperate to get another radio hit and stay "relevant". Interviews over the last 8 years or so really point to this being the case.

For what it's worth, I really like EBW and SFS. EBW had great potential and is easily one of their better post-00s songs. SFS received a decent amount of airplay, but did not become a hit for whatever reason. It's certainly better than a lot of the stuff on pop radio, but compared to older U2 songs, it's on the weaker side. I don't get the hatred for Miracle.
Those songs are not just overproduced, they were created with the intent to become radio hits. Do you think U2 write songs and come up with ideas in the traditional sense anymore? Of course they don't-- they sit around a table with guys like Ryan Tedder and brainstorm ideas, desperately trying to dream up the best pop hit that they can muster.

After their latest failure, its back to the drawing board.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2017, 09:18:12 PM »
the new stuff just rarely seems personal. maybe it's authentic but it comes across as pandering mor radio friendly pop

Offline pdk

• Refugee
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2017, 08:10:10 AM »
I think the question is irrelevant.

I have a broad circle of friends, family, and acquaintances....

None of them listen to the radio. 

It just occurred to me that if you look at the top sellers and streams of music over the last few years...it would appear that young girls are the majority of modern music consumers.  (Adele, Beyonce, country-pop...)

Radio hit?  U2?  No way in hell.

Offline ecadad

• Staring at the Sun
  • 🐍
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2017, 12:17:07 PM »
I think the question is irrelevant.

I have a broad circle of friends, family, and acquaintances....

None of them listen to the radio. 

It just occurred to me that if you look at the top sellers and streams of music over the last few years...it would appear that young girls are the majority of modern music consumers.  (Adele, Beyonce, country-pop...)

Radio hit?  U2?  No way in hell.

This is really important. Radio is essentially dead (at least as a way to get a hit single), it's all about streaming, Youtube hits, and the like.

The only rock song to trend on youtube in recent memory is Ryan Adam's latest single "Do You Still Love Me?" (great song btw). What a hit means is changing rapidly and new formulas have been devised. I don't think anyone really knows how to score hits anymore. It's all up in the air.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2017, 01:26:45 PM »
when U2 released POP they claimed going that direction was the PUNK thing to do.......... enough with chasing radio pop friendly tunes that don't connect with the majority of their audience, so let's see if they listen to their inner PUNK voice this time around

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2017, 01:27:27 PM »
when U2 released POP they claimed going that direction was the PUNK thing to do.......... enough with chasing radio pop friendly tunes that don't connect with the majority of their audience, so let's see if they listen to their inner PUNK voice this time around

they claimed Vertigo was "punk rock from venus" so they throw the punk card out there alot.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2017, 01:38:39 PM »
There is absolutely nothing 'Punk' about u2 and there never has been, musically, attitude wise etc etc etc....not saying that is a good or bad thing but it is true.

Quite why Bono likes to use the term in connection to them and what they do baffles me....I can only assume he thinks it is cool.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2017, 01:57:07 PM »
SFS received a decent amount of airplay, but did not become a hit for whatever reason. It's certainly better than a lot of the stuff on pop radio, but compared to older U2 songs, it's on the weaker side.

The problem with U2 is that they choose songs like SFS to be singles, not knowing that those syrupy kinds of songs only serve to remind younger people why they don't respect U2 or consider them worthy of their time.

They should have released SLABT or The Troubles, at least it would have made people sit up and pay attention.

Offline pdk

• Refugee
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »

Yeah, but it was also later revealed that the ambition behind "Discotheque" was to achieve a "Sledgehammer" level hit song.

Peter Gabriel's "So" was quite innovative sonically but also (successfully) aspired to broader appeal than previous work.  Replace "Peter Gabriel's "So"" with "U2's "Achtung Baby"" and I think the previous sentence still works.

If you look at the roots of punk song-wise it was quite influenced by 60's pop. I don't think punk intentionally eschewed appeal.

If anything initial punk removed the fluff and (at its best) revealed the simple core components that make great rock songs.  Essentially making the creative form accessible to future aspiring musicians (or close facsimiles thereof).

I don't know of any band ever that did not want their music to be liked.  That approach would truly be innovative.

I would be curious to know from you and others:  if U2 decide not to aspire to hits...then what should they use as their measuring stick for great or even finished work/songs?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 02:07:00 PM by pdk »

Offline pdk

• Refugee
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2017, 02:02:06 PM »

they claimed Vertigo was "punk rock from venus" so they throw the punk card out there alot.

I can hear punk roots in the chords and simplicity.  I think Joey Ramone would've dug it.

Hello Hello - we're at a place called Vertigo....

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2017, 02:10:22 PM »

I would be curious to know from you and others:  if U2 decide not to aspire to hits...then what should they use as their measuring stick for great or even finished work/songs?

For my money just their own ear...don't compare/measure with anything else... just think do you as the people making it like it/believe in it.

Offline pdk

• Refugee
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2017, 02:20:40 PM »

For my money just their own ear...don't compare/measure with anything else... just think do you as the people making it like it/believe in it.

ahhhh my friend.  The next question is: what do they believe in?

This belief... I do not think it is what we think it is.... or what we want it to be.

I don't agree with your answer BECAUSE I don't think that is the issue.  I believe that they believe in what they release. 

I was hoping to get your answer because we tend to appreciate similar expressions of U2.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 02:23:35 PM by pdk »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2017, 02:29:17 PM »

ahhhh my friend.  The next question is: what do they believe in?

This belief... I do not think it is what we think it is.... or what we want it to be.

I don't agree with your answer BECAUSE I don't think that is the issue.  I believe that they believe in what they release. 

I was hoping to get your answer because we tend to appreciate similar expressions of U2.

Always a pleasure chatting with you, Sir!...

I have no doubt they believe in what they are making - no doubt at all....It is what they are trying to make that I think is the problem - they are trying (in the main) to make music that appeals to everyman...

Ironically their best stuff (to me anyway) in recent times is when they aren't being overtly "pop rock"/hit makers....SLABT, Cedars, Never Let me Go, Stateless et al....