Author Topic: Can U2 have another radio hit?  (Read 5700 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Can U2 have another radio hit?
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2017, 08:15:46 PM »
they need to act their age and stop chasing fans and the admiration of kids.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2017, 08:36:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
maybe they can skip the album and go right to elevator music. I mean there is not an age limit on good music and collaborations.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2017, 09:04:05 PM »

They were told the same thing when they were 18...

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2017, 09:08:07 PM »
maybe they can skip the album and go right to elevator music. I mean there is not an age limit on good music and collaborations.
there is when the purpose is just to get popular with kids.

someone told them to stop acting like kids at 18? huh?

Online WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2017, 09:09:05 PM »
True, but making a song with a well-known pop-star for the sake of recognition is different than making a song with a well-known pop-star because you genuinely want to make pop music. I don't feel like U2 genuinely want to make pop music. They are chasing relevance by forcing it upon themselves.

I'm just going to become confusing, so let me put it like this: Ultraviolet is a great song. It is also a pop song. Crazy Tonight is, to most people, a bad song. It is also a pop song. The difference between the two? U2 forced themselves to make a pop song in Crazy Tonight. That was done by design. Ultraviolet is a very heartfelt and genuine song, whereas the other comes across as forced.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2017, 09:25:21 PM »
I'd love a Broadway musical using their existing songs to tell a story like Mama Mia. If we are putting in orders. 

I'd still like to see collaboration with some cool kids like a tortch passing. Not some desperate act.  Like a solidification of a Legend.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2017, 09:30:43 PM »
there is when the purpose is just to get popular with kids.

someone told them to stop acting like kids at 18? huh?

Bob Hewson with Bono. Several other adults.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2017, 09:37:36 PM »
True, but making a song with a well-known pop-star for the sake of recognition is different than making a song with a well-known pop-star because you genuinely want to make pop music. I don't feel like U2 genuinely want to make pop music. They are chasing relevance by forcing it upon themselves.

I'm just going to become confusing, so let me put it like this: Ultraviolet is a great song. It is also a pop song. Crazy Tonight is, to most people, a bad song. It is also a pop song. The difference between the two? U2 forced themselves to make a pop song in Crazy Tonight. That was done by design. Ultraviolet is a very heartfelt and genuine song, whereas the other comes across as forced.
brilliantly put.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2017, 10:43:15 PM »
Only Edge Sheeran can save them now.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2017, 11:35:47 PM »
The right collaboration with a current artist COULD work, but it is very risky and could cheapen U2 if it is poorly executed. I mean, look at the collaborations they've done in the past. Those with Green Day and Mary J. Blige I would argue were NOT good. Those they did in the 80s/90s (with people like BB King, Sinead O'Connor etc.) I would argue were good.

Are there any current artists who could collaborate well with U2? I think a strong female vocalist dueting with Bono could be very interesting so long as the music itself is a typical U2 sound (and by typical, I mean not cheap pop music). Lady Gaga has been mentioned here and it seems like some/most have a negative perception of her. While it is true she got famous as a sort of "shock" pop star, she has good vocal range and seems to be a talented musician in her own right. She also recently did a duets project with Tony Bennett that was surprisingly classy and good. Beyonce is another example of a strong female vocalist with talent (although her music is not my cup of tea).

Ed Sheeran was just mentioned (jokingly) and he, too, seems to be talented. I don't know that he could bring much to the table for U2, though. I mean, they're already working with Tedder and he's known for being one of the best pop song writers/producers in today's music world. I feel like anything Sheeran could bring to the table is something Tedder already has (and it did not work--see SoI).

But again, it all comes down to execution. If U2 stick to their style of music and decide to bring in a pop singer to sing on a track, why not? It could work out very well. But if they're going to just collaborate with a pop star and do a trashy pop song for the sake of getting another hit? That's going to just cheapen their reputation.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2017, 06:03:07 AM »
One other point to mention it seems like rock as a whole has fallen out of favor.  Pop and rap have squeezed it out.!! 

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2017, 07:36:45 AM »
One other point to mention it seems like rock as a whole has fallen out of favor.  Pop and rap have squeezed it out.!!
And isn't THAT a sad state of affairs?

But, maybe the new version of RHMT could be their next radio hit? hmmmm, don't think so.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2017, 08:01:10 AM »

I think it's more that you'd like them to move away from pop music. They seem to enjoy it.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »
The right collaboration with a current artist COULD work, but it is very risky and could cheapen U2 if it is poorly executed. I mean, look at the collaborations they've done in the past. Those with Green Day and Mary J. Blige I would argue were NOT good.

I thought the Green Day collaboration was fantastic. (I also quite liked Mary J Blige's version of One, but it was better when she performed it without U2.)

The Troubles with Lykke Li could have been very successful as a single.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2017, 09:09:07 AM »

I think it's more that you'd like them to move away from pop music. They seem to enjoy it.

Sadly i would say you are right about them enjoying it...here is the thing though - for me u2 generally make good alternative type songs and terrible pop songs.