Author Topic: Upcoming atU2 Podcast episode on Songs of Innocence  (Read 863 times)

Offline ichris

• Babyface
  • Podcast Editor and Producer. Achtung Baby.
Upcoming atU2 Podcast episode on Songs of Innocence
« on: February 13, 2017, 10:38:06 AM »
Hey folks,

If you've got comments/thoughts (brief!) on Songs of Innocence that you want to add to the conversation on the podcast, feel free to reply to this thread and I'll my best to include them in the episode.

We're recording on Wednesday night around 8:30pm CST - should be at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (though we're in the process of slowly moving to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login so bookmark that as a backup).

Up to now, responses have been on Twitter so 140 character limit. Use that as a guide - no 10 paragraph essays will be read on air! :)

Thanks!
Chris.

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Upcoming atU2 Podcast episode on Songs of Innocence
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 11:21:25 AM »
Hey Chris. Going to be tough to condense my thoughts on the album that much but I will try!

Initally I thought it was a great return to form but like every other post 2000 U2 album, it hasnt improved on repeat listens. It is annoying that they once again picked the worst song on the album (Miracle) to be the first single. Oddly, I'd much rather listen to the live versions of the songs (complete with Bono talk) than the album versions.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 11:54:43 AM »
The troubles - first single missed chance discuss. Great podcast btw :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 12:06:14 PM by eddyjedi »

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 02:34:29 PM »
The album and its release made me hopeful that U2 were entering a new phase of surprise releases and bold marketing. The album itself is great but sadly the band has retreated into its typical phase of second-guessing and numerous delays. If they had been able to release SOE shortly after it would have been a remarkable pairing.

Loving these podcasts, by the way! Thanks for all the time and work you put into them. :)

Offline thistrain

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »
The most ironic U2 release of all time. Die-hard fans waited 5 1/2 years since No Line and here we were getting it for free and with no wait! Couldn't believe the good news. For the rest of the world the question was how to get rid of it. Didn't want to be bothered with it at all. Sometimes you can't even give stuff away for free.

Overall, a pretty solid album helped immensely by an extraordinary tour, their best production since Zoo TV. Too bad the launch disappointed so many people and left a bad taste in their mouth. It never had a chance to find its own audience.

Offline ichris

• Babyface
  • Podcast Editor and Producer. Achtung Baby.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 02:56:33 PM »
Thanks for the great feedback/thoughts so far!

Also feel free to send a 140-280 character thought on a specific SOI song if you have one you absolutely love or hate.

Offline jordan

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 03:39:39 PM »
Whether you love SOI or not, it is one of the most cohesive albums in terms of theme that U2 has ever done.

Online andwise

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 05:48:32 PM »
Can't wait for another great episode!  I was wondering if you could discuss "Every Breaking Wave".  In my opinion, it is one of U2's best songs since 2000 and it seemed to have been mishandled in terms of being a single.  I still shake my head when I think about how it wasn't a big radio hit.  Was it Bono's accident that derailed the roll-out?  Or did it get miscast as a ballad?  It's puzzling to me...it should've been their biggest hit since "Vertigo".

Thanks!!

Offline georgemccauley

• Refugee
Upcoming atU2 Podcast episode on Songs of Innocence
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 07:36:12 PM »
Hi Chris, big fan of the podcast. One of the most striking things about Songs of Innocence is the albums stripped back approach lyrically and sonically. Lyrically this is one of U2's best albums and it's evident that revisiting some of their earliest memories leaves a lot of vulnerability which is very obvious during this album.

One of the things I'd love to hear more about is the bands dramatic switch and change up of the producers this time around. Here we have very new faces on Songs of Innocence, from Dangermouse to Ryan Tedder. There is no sign of the big three in Eno, Lillywhite and Lanois which is surprising as they have made some of their greatest records with those three producers.

It's also very obvious sonically that Eno, Lanois and Lillywhite were not present on this record as the production and general feel of Songs of Innocence has taken a huge shift in another direction, once which we have not seen from the band as yet.

I'd love this to be discussed further on the podcast, I look forward to listening, many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline ecadad

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • On Twitter @ecadad1
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 08:15:25 PM »
The songs shine live, and the album is (to me) up there with U2's very best. "Iris" in particular strikes me as being one of U2's most emotionally moving tracks.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »
Nothing really happens, Bono regurgitates subject matter and no member stamps their mark on the soundtrack. It's more a Bono solo album than a U2 album 5yrs in the making.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 09:34:08 AM »
Anyone else find themselves unable to play the podcast?  I only recently realized there was an @u2 podcast, tried to download a few episodes, but they don't play.  Not sure what's up.

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 02:03:44 PM »
NOLA Fly. I'm on a piece of ground above a volcano.

It's a shame that such a great album got buried under the controversy surrounding the release and now carries a stigma. It deserves better. Thematically cohesive, melodically beautiful, and lyrically strong throughout, it's one of their best for me. The sequence of Volcano, Raised By Wolves, and Cedarwood Road slays.

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Global Moderator
  • Running to Stand Still
  • Deserve's got nothin' to do with it
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 04:13:48 PM »
Deluxe CD sales marketing aside, the album could have included Lucifer’s Hands and The Crystal Ballroom. And with room to spare, they could've still dropped in the super-secret hidden track Invisible at the end.

Thanks Chris!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:45:42 PM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 05:01:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
NOLA Fly. I'm on a piece of ground above a volcano.

It's a shame that such a great album got buried under the controversy surrounding the release and now carries a stigma. It deserves better. Thematically cohesive, melodically beautiful, and lyrically strong throughout, it's one of their best for me. The sequence of Volcano, Raised By Wolves, and Cedarwood Road slays.

Volcano is the worst song on the album. Raised by wolves is very good, cedarwood road good lyrically, rather pedestrian in guitar terms but solid elsewhere.