Author Topic: Upcoming atU2 Podcast episode on Songs of Innocence  (Read 1282 times)

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
Re: Upcoming atU2 Podcast episode on Songs of Innocence
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 05:09:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
NOLA Fly. I'm on a piece of ground above a volcano.

It's a shame that such a great album got buried under the controversy surrounding the release and now carries a stigma. It deserves better. Thematically cohesive, melodically beautiful, and lyrically strong throughout, it's one of their best for me. The sequence of Volcano, Raised By Wolves, and Cedarwood Road slays.

Volcano is the worst song on the album. Raised by wolves is very good, cedarwood road good lyrically, rather pedestrian in guitar terms but solid elsewhere.

Agree to disagree. Also, you're wrong. :P
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:54:50 PM by NOLA Fly »

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 12:03:06 AM »
Really solid album thematically but one of Edge's weakest. The U2 I love is one where Edge drives the sound, as Blueeyedboy says it could almost be a Bono solo album.

I really like it, but Edge hasn't really pushed the boundaries for a few years now and it's good but not great.

The one moment Edge had to really shine is on the album's best song, Troubles, and they fade out his guitar work. Never understood it. Could have almost taken it into Love is Blindness territory but the song and album just slowly evaporate.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 02:39:45 AM »
Really solid album thematically but one of Edge's weakest. The U2 I love is one where Edge drives the sound, as Blueeyedboy says it could almost be a Bono solo album.

I really like it, but Edge hasn't really pushed the boundaries for a few years now and it's good but not great.

The one moment Edge had to really shine is on the album's best song, Troubles, and they fade out his guitar work. Never understood it. Could have almost taken it into Love is Blindness territory but the song and album just slowly evaporate.

I agree I thought they did the quick fade out as a tease for Songs of Experience imminent arrival and wanting more. I said imminent 2.5 years ago....

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 11:36:48 AM »

Great point. Adam's work sounds incredible on record, but the drumming and guitar-work sound so pedestrian that you they don't mesh well... add in the atrocious mix and you have a very weak and soft sounding album.

Offline World71R

• Stateless
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 12:03:21 PM »
One thing I've noticed about the album is that it brings together all elements of U2 throughout the decades and puts a modern, 2010s spin on it. You have songs that point back to the 80s, (RBW, TIWYCRMN, Iris), 90s (CR, SLABT, Troubles), 2000s (The Miracle, SFS, California), and a look ahead (EBW, Volcano, TCB). It really displays the reflective nature of the album that draws on their career.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 09:16:41 PM »
Anyone else find themselves unable to play the podcast?  I only recently realized there was an @u2 podcast, tried to download a few episodes, but they don't play.  Not sure what's up.
Which Podcast grabber are you using?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:18:16 PM by PopMart_1997 »

Offline ichris

• Babyface
  • Podcast Editor and Producer. Achtung Baby.
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 09:11:47 AM »
Which podcast app are you trying to play it with?

Anyone else find themselves unable to play the podcast?  I only recently realized there was an @u2 podcast, tried to download a few episodes, but they don't play.  Not sure what's up.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 02:35:49 PM »
Try using the Stitcher Radio app. I've listened to all episodes of the atU2 podcast and several others without issues.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »

Got it working, thanks! The episodes from the iTunes Store sometimes  showed as downloaded, but wouldn't play. Deleting and re-downloading usually fixed it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 05:20:52 PM »

Got it working, thanks! The episodes from the iTunes Store sometimes  showed as downloaded, but wouldn't play. Deleting and re-downloading usually fixed it.

I've boycotted ITunes ever since I found a free album in my playlist that appeared without my consent.

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 06:16:52 PM »
For me SOI is one of my least favourite U2 albums, which saddens me as I really wanted to like it. I just find it too bland and pedestrian sounding for my taste. There are some great lyrics on it, for sure, but sonically I prefer when U2 take chances, sound 'edgy' and are more adventurous with their music, like on the brilliant Pop, Zooropa and Achtung Baby albums (and the incredible Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - what an amazing sound and feel that song has!) I'm hoping that SOE will have a grittier, more experimental sound and energy to it. I have to say though that The Troubles is a killer of a song! A really wonderful track. Every Breaking Wave is nice too. I much prefer No Line On The Horizon to SOI though. The title track is one of my favourite U2 songs EVER! :-)

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 07:37:04 PM »

I've boycotted ITunes ever since I found a free album in my playlist that appeared without my consent.
::)