Author Topic: Kate Bush  (Read 519 times)

Offline PieBlaCon

• Refugee
  • I believe in the Kingdom Come
Kate Bush
« on: February 14, 2017, 12:57:36 AM »
I haven't seen a thread about the wonderful Kate Bush here, so I decided I'd start one. For a while, I've considered U2 my favorite artist, but over the past 6 months-a year, I've really started to reconsider that, reason being how much I can't stop listening to Kate. I really don't think she has had a misstep in her discography, and to take it one step further, she doesn't have an album I wouldn't consider to be great (even Lionheart and The Red Shoes are terrific listens). I'm not even sure she has a single song on her albums that I don't like at least a little bit.

Anyway as far as a ranking would go, my top 5 albums would be:

1. Hounds of Love: Shocker, right? This one is jockeying with The Joshua Tree as my favorite ever. "Cloudbusting" is so fantastic, but the 9th Wave kicks in and you're transported to another dimension. So original and mesmerizing. Her crowning achievement!
2. The Dreaming: BANG! GOES ANOTHER KANGA! This is such a powerful album. One of the most creative records I've ever heard. It holds a spot in my top 5 ever, and separates Kate Bush as the only artist I consider to have two 10/10 albums.
3. Aerial: Side 1 is great in its own right, with tracks like "Pi" and "A Coral Room" showing that she hadn't missed a step, but Side 2 is something else. It flows so magnificently and the final 15 minutes are incredible. A shocking album upon first listen.
4. The Sensual World: Impossible to follow up a record like Hounds of Love (though, I probably would have said that about The Dreaming in '82 if I were alive), but her 1989 release is a really strong effort. The first 6 tracks are all great, and the next 3 are all good before closing with one of her classics. "The Fog" is probably my favorite one the album.
5. The Kick Inside: This is an album where Kate really wears her inspirations on her sleeve, but she does have her own spin on it which keeps it fresh. It doesn't reach the highs of the albums above, but the only track that I don't find great (but still think is good in its own right) would be "Feel It". Such an impressive album considering how young she was.

HM: Before the Dawn: I was a bit worried that some of the theatrical elements of the show would get lost in the purely audio format, but this really feels like a proper release of the concert. Take 3 of the best songs from HOL, toss in the 9th Wave, and "An Endless Sky of Honey", and I'm sold.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
Re: Kate Bush
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 03:16:46 AM »
She has the most wonderful voice! Love her music. Great one
PieBlaCon! Ever since i was a youngster i love her music.
Was always intriged by Wuthering Heights, and the moody, ambient
atmosphere of the song.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:44:55 AM by Volcanogirl »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 11:15:53 AM »
The Hounds of Love is a fantastic album and I was fortunate enough to see a Before the Dawn show a few years ago.  Cloudbusting is amazing.  How often do artists write songs about a mid-twentieth century Marxist psychoanalysts?  It is touching that she wrote the song and performed the video from the perspective of his son (using his son's autobiography for inspiration).  Brilliant video with Donald Sutherland: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  The title track captures the fear that comes with falling in love, and the Ninth Wave goes through so many levels of emotional turbulence before she finds her way back to land and experiences the sweet morning fog. "Watching You Without Me" is a favourite track on that side.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 01:49:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Hounds of Love is a fantastic album and I was fortunate enough to see a Before the Dawn show a few years ago.  Cloudbusting is amazing.  How often do artists write songs about a mid-twentieth century Marxist psychoanalysts?  It is touching that she wrote the song and performed the video from the perspective of his son (using his son's autobiography for inspiration).  Brilliant video with Donald Sutherland: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  The title track captures the fear that comes with falling in love, and the Ninth Wave goes through so many levels of emotional turbulence before she finds her way back to land and experiences the sweet morning fog. "Watching You Without Me" is a favourite track on that side.
Love that clip, she has a way of being moving and creative that i just find so intriging. Wish i could see her play concert one day.

Offline poppyann

• Elevated
  • Only U2
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »
Oh my goodness.. a Kate Bush thread !! Wow...
I love Kate Bush, she the most beautiful singer there is, and so original and her song writing is out of this world.  Tried to get a ticket to her last concert, but impossible to get one :( Hopefully she will announce another concert.. My favorite album was "Never Forever" :)

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 10:33:45 PM »
Quite envious of those who were able to attend the London shows!!!

Offline poppyann

• Elevated
  • Only U2
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 04:29:26 PM »
I tried so hard to get a ticket, but failed miserably..:(
Maybe she will announce another concert, that would be fab. !!

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • A-B-C, easy as 1-2-3
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 04:35:34 PM »
She said during the BTD run that she didn't want it to end there.

Having said that...rumor was that the following year she walked away from the biggest offer Glastonbury has ever made to any artist.

Anyway, every fan should get Before The Dawn. The performances are incredible, and she had it mixed in such a way that it truly seems like you're onstage with her. Nice and raw - and who would've ever thought that anyone could say that about any Kate Bush production?

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »
Hope this becomes true for ya. Would love to see her one day, she has an amazing voice. I also like Suzanne Vega's voice, PJ Harvey's.

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 04:49:01 PM »
if i only could / i'd make a deal with god

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 04:40:07 AM »

There were lots of ticket drops on the days of each show, but they were for the expensive front stalls seats - 150 or so.  I just went down to the venue and found someone with a spare circle standing ticket which suited me fine due to the fact it was in the cheapest price bracket, and because standing meant I could choose where to watch from and move a bit to the music. 

The concert was more like a theatrical recital than the looser artist-audience interaction experience I get at most concerts I go to.  That's perhaps why she only performed the show for a prolonged run in one "theatre" (Hammersmith Apollo) and why she didn't want to do things like Glastonbury.  She didn't want photos or videos taken and that'd be impossible to enforce at Glastonbury.  Although a couple of shows were recorded with a view to a DVD release she has so far opted only to release audio from the shows.

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 06:31:15 AM »

There were lots of ticket drops on the days of each show, but they were for the expensive front stalls seats - 150 or so.  I just went down to the venue and found someone with a spare circle standing ticket which suited me fine due to the fact it was in the cheapest price bracket, and because standing meant I could choose where to watch from and move a bit to the music. 

The concert was more like a theatrical recital than the looser artist-audience interaction experience I get at most concerts I go to.  That's perhaps why she only performed the show for a prolonged run in one "theatre" (Hammersmith Apollo) and why she didn't want to do things like Glastonbury.  She didn't want photos or videos taken and that'd be impossible to enforce at Glastonbury.  Although a couple of shows were recorded with a view to a DVD release she has so far opted only to release audio from the shows.
I'm (not so patiently) waiting for DVD version...got audio on order😀

Offline poppyann

• Elevated
  • Only U2
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 10:03:44 AM »
Has anyone listened to Kate's new album yet,? "Before the Dawn" I have it, but yet to listen..:)
I loved her previous album "50 words for Snow" so beautiful, and the lyrics are out of this world !! It just sends shivers down your spine when listening to it.. Kate Bush's music has that effect on me..

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 02:11:23 PM »
Has anyone listened to Kate's new album yet,? "Before the Dawn" I have it, but yet to listen..:)
I loved her previous album "50 words for Snow" so beautiful, and the lyrics are out of this world !! It just sends shivers down your spine when listening to it.. Kate Bush's music has that effect on me..

It's astonishingly good.  I'm not even a fanatic--I have just one other album, the Hounds of Winter--and it's incredible.  It really kind of reminds me, sonically, of a Peter Gabriel show.  (Makes sense, with David Rhodes on guitar for both.)  The version of King of the Mountain is like the biggest sound you've ever heard.