Author Topic: Song list  (Read 4270 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
Re: Song list
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2017, 12:01:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I honestly doubt they will stick to an 80s only playlist. This is U2 we are talking about. 75% of the audience is going to be a casual fan that wants to hear Vertigo, Beautiful Day, One, etc. Personally I don't mind hearing hearing anything 90s. I'd love to hear anything from Achtung Baby (not so much MW though). I bet they may sneak a new song in a few nights.

Yup. Much as I'd love an 80s only playlist (ESPECIALLY if they play some b-sides) I do not expect them to do it because of all the casual fans who will attend. Yes, U2 has a pretty loyal and big fan base, but they've managed to sell out (or nearly sell out) stadiums of 50,000+ on this tour...so you have to figure a good percentage of that crowd falls into the casual fan category. I'm personally taking three "casual" fans along with me to the Cleveland show and they will be disappointed to not hear any 00s U2 songs.

I'm with you on being happy to hear anything from AB. TJT will always have a special place in my heart for being the album that got me into U2, but AB is tops. It would be fantastic if they're able to play some rarely played live songs from that album. Not expecting it, though.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2017, 06:45:53 AM »
I am happy as long as Joshua Tree is the centrepiece and played in sequence, and the other song choices have a logic to them, for instance pre-JT before and post-JT after.

And I'm taking for granted that the encore is Walk To The Water, Spanish Eyes, 40.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2017, 04:40:25 PM »
Seeing Mysterious Ways sort of makes me feel not so bad about not getting a ticket. Seen it every gig and heard it a gazzillion times.

This set should really be 24-26 songs spanning 1980-1987. Pretty easy actually as I posted previously, sort of like this;

Out Of Control
The Electric Co
I Will Follow
Gloria
October
New Years Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
The Unforgettable Fire
A Sort of Homecoming
MLK      .................blends into.......Streets (remember Superbowl 2002 anyone??)
------JT------
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found...
Red Hill Mining Town
In Gods Country
Trip Through Your Wires
One Tree Hill
Exit
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
With Or Without You
Mothers of the Disappeared
-----
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Pride
Bad
"40"

Really dont think playing ANYTHING from the 90's onwards makes ANY sense. If this is a nostalgia show then make it a PROPER 80's nostalgia show. Make it a show that U2 would do in 1987 with obvious technical advancements (B-stage, video screens, lighting, etc).
Does the above setlist REALLY need Mysterious Ways and Vertigo? I mean, outside of the JoshTree segment... just LOOK at the 1st 10 songs takes you through a quick recap of U2's greatest hits leading up to Joshua Tree (the songs are in album release order and it still works!), its immense and the encore is classic.

Are stadium audiences too zoned out now to handle it?

Heck, Ive not even added any obscure B-Sides or Drowning Man (oh boy, please guys!), Seconds, Two Hearts Beat As One, Surrender, Tomorrow, Twilight, etc....

I love your list.  I would want to hear so many of those old tunes, wish they would.  But they will probably play some newer 2000s stuff with the old tunes at the beginning.  Though I think so many of them are overplayed especially for this tour.  I would love to hear songs like A Sort of Homecoming, 11'oclock..., Wire, Drowning Man, etc.  and then ending with popular Achtung songs.

Offline voitek207

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2017, 07:26:59 AM »
Isn't this tour the only chance to take some risks setlist-wise? They are not touring new album so they don't Have to worry about the reception of new songs. They're going to play their perceived magnum opus in its entirety so the biggest hits will be there. The tickets are already sold. In such conditions why waste setlist space for gazillionth renditions of Mysterious ways, I will follow, Vertigo, or God forbid: Beautiful Day? Play something adventurous and unexpected.

Offline mcpaulson22

• Babyface
  • Ill see you again when the stars fall from the sky
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2017, 08:06:07 AM »
Isn't this tour the only chance to take some risks setlist-wise? They are not touring new album so they don't Have to worry about the reception of new songs. They're going to play their perceived magnum opus in its entirety so the biggest hits will be there. The tickets are already sold. In such conditions why waste setlist space for gazillionth renditions of Mysterious ways, I will follow, Vertigo, or God forbid: Beautiful Day? Play something adventurous and unexpected.

They are playing Red Hill Mining Town, Exit, In God's Country, Mothers of the Disappeared, and One Tree Hill. Those are pretty adventurous for modern day U2. Since these are already pretty deep cuts I don't think they'll add any more.

Offline DPardue

• Wanderer
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2017, 09:22:27 AM »
I listen to a bit of Dire Straits, but am far from what I would call a fan and yet had they rolled out a 30th anniversary tour of "Making Movies", I'd would have probably been all over it.  I think there are a lot of folks in a similar situation with this U2 tour and I think the band is aware of that.  We might get a taste or two of some yet to be released tunes that would be new for everyone in attendance (which I think either Edge or Adam Clayton mentioned in a recent interview), but I'd bet we don't get new material played live and deep cuts (beyond "The Joshua Tree" cuts) both.

Offline Number1U2fan

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "we're one..but we're not the same..."
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2017, 11:23:13 AM »
Seeing Mysterious Ways sort of makes me feel not so bad about not getting a ticket. Seen it every gig and heard it a gazzillion times.

This set should really be 24-26 songs spanning 1980-1987. Pretty easy actually as I posted previously, sort of like this;

Out Of Control
The Electric Co
I Will Follow
Gloria
October
New Years Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
The Unforgettable Fire
A Sort of Homecoming
MLK      .................blends into.......Streets (remember Superbowl 2002 anyone??)
------JT------
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found...
Red Hill Mining Town
In Gods Country
Trip Through Your Wires
One Tree Hill
Exit
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
With Or Without You
Mothers of the Disappeared
-----
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Pride
Bad
"40"

Really dont think playing ANYTHING from the 90's onwards makes ANY sense. If this is a nostalgia show then make it a PROPER 80's nostalgia show. Make it a show that U2 would do in 1987 with obvious technical advancements (B-stage, video screens, lighting, etc).
Does the above setlist REALLY need Mysterious Ways and Vertigo? I mean, outside of the JoshTree segment... just LOOK at the 1st 10 songs takes you through a quick recap of U2's greatest hits leading up to Joshua Tree (the songs are in album release order and it still works!), its immense and the encore is classic.

Are stadium audiences too zoned out now to handle it?

Heck, Ive not even added any obscure B-Sides or Drowning Man (oh boy, please guys!), Seconds, Two Hearts Beat As One, Surrender, Tomorrow, Twilight, etc....

I would take this setlist ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!! Though I would cringe during Pride, go take a pi*s and grab another beer!!! Pride is not played well live. GREAT studio song on UF but live its horrid. Great setlist here.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »
It is a great song selection and I too would love to see that set. That said I would scrap your encore altogether as playing post joshua makes more sense to me. I don't think they're going back in time to try and recreate 1987, but celebrate it in the context of 2017..

Your first section has to be close to perfect though.. I would prefer to see some or any of the following in an encore section

Zoo station
The fly
Desire
AoH
Dirty day
Hawk moon
Gone

I would forgive them for throwing in beautiful day at this point too..

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2017, 01:08:38 AM »
I won't be disappointed either way (with U2 I try to keep my hopes down as far as set-lists go) but I really wish they favor tunes from the 80's. There's so much to dig in !

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk