Author Topic: MOJO: U2 back at Electric Lady Studios next month with Steve Lillywhite  (Read 8535 times)

Offline lucas.homem

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: MOJO: U2 back at Electric Lady Studios next month with Steve Lillywhite
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2017, 07:43:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Even if the Kygo version is bad, there's no concrete reason to think the real one will be bad too. Production is everything.
The whole song is nothing more than a bad EDM Song For Someone clone. I don't hear anything redeeming in the KYGO remix.

You can do anything with those melodies, really.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Child of Grace
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2017, 08:00:58 PM »
Best Thing needs more tuba.

Anyways, Lillywhite's an improvement on Tedder, right?

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2017, 08:13:57 PM »
my favorite part of the news:

(But Adam goes beyond the political climate as the reason for not releasing Songs Of Experience yet, and offers some musical reasons, too:

"There wasn't clarity to some of the mixes [on SOI] and we needed to be a little bit more inventive sonically. I mean, that record, when we performed it live, the songs became very, very masculine and very tough and we didn't really capture that on the record. So again one of the reasons why we're trying to slow this down a bit is we really want to get the mixes right. We don't want a soup. We want a consommé."

Adam says U2 is "at the 85 percent mark" of being finished, and has about 15-16 songs that need to be cut down to 12 for the new album.)

this makes more sense to me than the other reasons for the delay.

Can someone explain to me why U2 (and other bands) always think they have to hit the magic number of 12? If you have 15 and they are good, keep them all!

Not to mention that based on their recent track record one of the songs they cut always seems to be gold ("Mercy", "Smile", etc).

Keep the 15, U2.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 08:34:02 PM »
can anyone tell us what the 2 new song titles are? i'm curious.

also i too am glad that someone in the band isn't claiming the political climate is the only reason why they are doin the nostalgia thing.

edit-
Other songs mentioned as likely for the new album are "The Best Thing About You Is Me," [Ed. note: That's how the magazine has it, but I think the "you" and "me" references should be reversed.] "The Little Things That Give You Away," "Red Flag Day" and "Summer Of Love." That last one is a new title that Bono describes as "achingly beautiful and empty." He says it and "Red Flag Day" both reference the refugee crisis in Europe.

i really REALLY hope that's not "Your the Best Thing About Me" but alas, it is, i'm sure.

I thought those 'Showman' lyrics were really cool and showed a bit of the old 90s Bono swagger, but if they don't want to press the self-destruct button then they better not release Best Thing. Utterly woeful song, embarrassing to listen to.
Have you even heard it yet? I doubt it, but if you have, I'd like to hear it too a few times to see if it really IS "embarrassing" because there's rarely a U2 song Ive heard that is embarrassing or worse. And I've heard lots of them.

Online WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 08:44:05 PM »

(But Adam goes beyond the political climate as the reason for not releasing Songs Of Experience yet, and offers some musical reasons, too:

"There wasn't clarity to some of the mixes [on SOI] and we needed to be a little bit more inventive sonically. I mean, that record, when we performed it live, the songs became very, very masculine and very tough and we didn't really capture that on the record. So again one of the reasons why we're trying to slow this down a bit is we really want to get the mixes right. We don't want a soup. We want a consommé."

Adam says U2 is "at the 85 percent mark" of being finished, and has about 15-16 songs that need to be cut down to 12 for the new album.)

Can someone explain to me why U2 (and other bands) always think they have to hit the magic number of 12? If you have 15 and they are good, keep them all!

Not to mention that based on their recent track record one of the songs they cut always seems to be gold ("Mercy", "Smile", etc).

Keep the 15, U2.
It's very difficult to keep a listener's attention with 15 songs, but U2 are definitely a band capable of doing it. It would be cool to see them pull off (or at least attempt) doing something that bold.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2017, 08:46:36 PM »

Keep the 15, U2.
It's very difficult to keep a listener's attention with 15 songs, but U2 are definitely a band capable of doing it. It would be cool to see them pull off (or at least attempt) doing something that bold.
If Songs of Innocence & Experience was a double album, instead of 2 separate releases, I'm betting the listener's attention wouldn't wane.

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
I agree I think it could be a very big summer hit.

I think it could have been! I think if it were to be sent to radio, the sound would have to be updated a little bit. The vocal chop during the chorus (or "drop") is a bit outdated (i.e Chainsmokers, Major Lazer, DJ Snake, Grandtheft, etc.), but it certainly sounded like a hit for the time Kygo originally dropped it.

Anything that could have been a "hit" 6 months ago but couldn't now, is just disposable garbage. U2 is better than this.

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2017, 08:54:50 PM »
Not to say I told you so, but...

Then probably doing some European/US arena dates sometime in spring 2018 to conclude the tour. There is a lot of Europe/US they haven't yet touched with the I&E tour so they are due to play some more dates there.

There's also this: Willie (their stage designer) was recently interviewed by Rolling Stone and mentioned that the continuation of I&E will be 2 years after the last legs (I think this was a slip up on his part--he wasn't supposed to let that cat out of the bag). The last show was played in Paris in Dec 2015. That would mean I&E is resuming sometime around Dec 2017/Jan 2018......

While it is true that U2 have had many albums near completion that were either completely reworked or never released, this feels like a different situation because of the public declaration on Christmas that it would be out in 2017 and because nothing since then has suggested it won't come out this year. And who's to say the guys aren't currently working on the finishing touches to the album? They haven't begun rehearsing for TJT tour and could easily squeeze in another month in the studio before that if they so choose. They could even record/rework stuff for the new album WHILE on tour. Many artists/bands do this with a lot of success. U2 could very easily have the album totally done by August and be able to relax for a couple months before promoting it/touring it.

Last week I posted this in response to several posts "doubting" that U2 would release SoE this year. It seems like what I posted is what they are doing--rehearsing TJT tour and doing another few weeks-month in the studio in March to complete SoE, then resuming the I&E tour in the spring of 2018. No, I have no friends or contacts in the "know" (I wish!), it was just pretty obvious to me. They have publicly declared that the new album will come out in 2017 while also simultaneously saying that they want to make changes to it. Ergo, they need to finish re-recording before TJT starts or they'll play double duty recording/touring. I can't see them wanting to do both touring and recording at the same time, so recording the new album in March makes perfect sense. Then they've got all of April to fully rehearse the tour.

I'm really excited about this news, but also skeptical. We have heard this talk before about albums being nearly done...and then it doesn't come out when they say it'll be out. Basically, until it's on the shelves or randomly put on my iPhone, I'm not going to completely trust any release date thrown around.

I really liked what Adam said about wanting to get the songs right. It makes me very optimistic that this album will be good--maybe even really good. And the news about the continuation of the I&E tour in spring 2018 is even better. I didn't get to see it the first time around, so I'm very excited to get a chance to see it in 2018. Especially after getting to see them twice on TJT tour.

Best Thing needs more tuba.

Anyways, Lillywhite's an improvement on Tedder, right?

Debatable.  ;) Lillywhite has worked on some great music but he's also at least partially responsible for some real duds (including NLOTH, October, The Killers Battle Born, among others). This could either be really good or not so good.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2017, 11:44:14 PM »
I agree I think it could be a very big summer hit.

I think it could have been! I think if it were to be sent to radio, the sound would have to be updated a little bit. The vocal chop during the chorus (or "drop") is a bit outdated (i.e Chainsmokers, Major Lazer, DJ Snake, Grandtheft, etc.), but it certainly sounded like a hit for the time Kygo originally dropped it.

Anything that could have been a "hit" 6 months ago but couldn't now, is just disposable garbage. U2 is better than this.

Agreed but there's something good about that song, I'd release it.

Offline Peter Parker

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2017, 12:26:16 AM »
Listened to All my life, again! Would love to hear a clean version of that. Love the chorus and Edges solos!

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2017, 05:16:35 AM »
Steve "album closer" Lillywhite.

So...is Lillywhite producing this solo or are there other producers on SOE ?

As for this...well yeah, but won't the live versions sound exact the same for SOE if they spend more time in the studio ?

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2017, 05:28:11 AM »
Listened to All my life, again! Would love to hear a clean version of that. Love the chorus and Edges solos!

Agreed best song since beautiful day for me. Even in demo form.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2017, 05:58:17 AM »
If Adam means getting rid of all the crap like the cheesy keyboard fills, the overly pretty and soft layers, the burying of the rhythm section and the general pop veneer to get to a more organic, rawer guitar, bass and drums sound - then that is a good start for me.

Online andrewau2

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2017, 06:08:22 AM »
If Adam means getting rid of all the crap like the cheesy keyboard fills, the overly pretty and soft layers, the burying of the rhythm section and the general pop veneer to get to a more organic, rawer guitar, bass and drums sound - then that is a good start for me.

Well said.  Less glossy polish, lower the vocals, and bring up the guitar!

Offline georgemccauley

• Refugee
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2017, 06:30:36 AM »
The best thing I read from this article was "U2 are back in the studio with Steve Lillywhite" Surely this means he is one of, if not the only producer on this record? If he has any involvement then this is great news in my opinion, we will see a return to a rawer more rock driven U2 in this record. Lillywhite is one of the "big 3" in terms of U2 producers, this is very very exciting news!