Author Topic: MOJO: U2 back at Electric Lady Studios next month with Steve Lillywhite  (Read 8534 times)

Offline PookaMacP

• Refugee
Re: MOJO: U2 back at Electric Lady Studios next month with Steve Lillywhite
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2017, 06:46:42 AM »
Not to take this off on a tangent, but wouldn't now seem like a good time to go into the studio with Rick Rubin and try that out again? From what Adam says, the songs are pretty much done and they're going to peel away some of the layers by recording live in the studio. Having songs ready to be recorded is exactly what Rubin wanted them to do.

On Lillywhite coming in: I agree that this sounds like a great idea, but then I remember that they did something similar with HTDAAB. The songs have to be there for a producer/mixer to do something with them... Here's hoping!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2017, 07:54:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The best thing I read from this article was "U2 are back in the studio with Steve Lillywhite" Surely this means he is one of, if not the only producer on this record? If he has any involvement then this is great news in my opinion, we will see a return to a rawer more rock driven U2 in this record. Lillywhite is one of the "big 3" in terms of U2 producers, this is very very exciting news!

Worth tempering that by remembering Lillywhite was heavily involved in Bomb - so it could be a good thing/could be a bad thing.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2017, 08:31:22 AM »
It's good to find out there's actually something going on in the band's creative corner at this point.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2017, 09:05:06 AM »
Steve "album closer" Lillywhite.

This was my thought too.  It isn't truly "nearly done" until they get Lillywhite involved.

Offline OptimaX

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • ZOOPOP
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2017, 09:05:30 AM »
Unfortunately - "The Best Thing About You Is Me" - is the song DJ Kygo premiered. Ugh!

Why such a long title? "The Best Thing" is such a simpler title than "The Best Thing About You Is Me"

We could make an endless list of shorter titles to their songs..

I'm surprised Bono's been ok with some short titles.

Shouldn't "With or Without You" really be titled "I Can't Live With Or Without You"? And shouldn't "Beautiful Day" be "It's A Beautiful Day To Let It Get Away"? And "Invisible" should really be titled "Invisible (You Don't See Me But You Will)".

Hahaha! Lol! This deserves its own topic!

One - We're one, but we're not the same

Offline OnlyU2

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2017, 09:17:54 AM »
The article states the following song titles:

The Showman
The Best Thing About You Is Me
The Little Things That Give You Away
Red Flag Day
Summer Of Love

Unfortunately - "The Best Thing About You Is Me" - is the song DJ Kygo premiered. Ugh!

I guess they changed the title from "You're the best thing about me"

Offline georgemccauley

• Refugee
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2017, 09:30:30 AM »
So is Lillywhite going to be the only credited producer on SOE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline OnlyU2

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2017, 09:33:39 AM »

If they scrap everything they've already done and start fresh, yes. 

Offline georgemccauley

• Refugee
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »

If they scrap everything they've already done and start fresh, yes. 

Which I don't see them doing, they are tweaking as far as we know..... so potential a unfortunate return for Tedder and Dangermouse again?

Offline il_capo

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »
The best thing I read from this article was "U2 are back in the studio with Steve Lillywhite" Surely this means he is one of, if not the only producer on this record? If he has any involvement then this is great news in my opinion, we will see a return to a rawer more rock driven U2 in this record. Lillywhite is one of the "big 3" in terms of U2 producers, this is very very exciting news!

Worth tempering that by remembering Lillywhite was heavily involved in Bomb - so it could be a good thing/could be a bad thing.

Lillywhite has been involved in many great albums, and of course some turkeys too, but who hasn't?  Was the problem with Bomb the production, or the material?  I certainly won't blame him for the quality of the songs on October - clearly there was a lack of material ready for that album and the problem - if there is one - isn't the production.  Killers' Battle Born is awful, and the production is overblown (perhaps the only way to disguise how thin and boring the songs were).  I think we can all agree he's a better choice than Tedder.

Offline georgemccauley

• Refugee
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2017, 10:47:25 AM »

Lillywhite has been involved in many great albums, and of course some turkeys too, but who hasn't?  Was the problem with Bomb the production, or the material?  I certainly won't blame him for the quality of the songs on October - clearly there was a lack of material ready for that album and the problem - if there is one - isn't the production.  Killers' Battle Born is awful, and the production is overblown (perhaps the only way to disguise how thin and boring the songs were).  I think we can all agree he's a better choice than Tedder.

Absolutely a better choice than Tedder. I'm glad Adam has brought the mixes of SOI to the surface.

I would be disappointed to see similar mixes appear on SOE. I think with Lillywhite, and taking references from the Bomb album we can be hopefully of a more rock approach where they will be sounding more like a rock a band again.

Simply put I would take every single mix from the bomb album over any on SOI, if that makes sense

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2017, 10:49:45 AM »

As i said - could be a good thing, could be a bad thing....the biggest 'unknown' is assuming there is a rock edge to the work is whether the band and his ear for what makes a good rock song has got any better or not of late.

None of us will know until we hear the material and then of course we will have differing opinions.....it is the nature of the beast.

Personally I am not a big fan of Lillywhite generally but recognise he has done some good stuff and been involved in some of u2's better work as well as some of their worst...and I am unsure he has done anything decent in recent times for the artists he has worked with....

That said I am not one for putting massive stock in the producers role - it is material first for me - but of course production matters.

I'd prefer they were working with a more forward thinking type/a type with more of a record for producing more sonically interesting stuff but as I said until we hear it we just don't know do we - Adam Clayton's comments made reccently could be seen as encouraging where he suggests the removal of fat and too much polish...

As for The Killers - well anyone producing them is literally tasked with polishing turds and as we know that is a thankless task.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:53:04 AM by an tha »

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2017, 11:48:12 AM »

Andy Barlow and Jolyon Thomas were mentioned as producers as well. But that was back in 2015...

Offline ecadad

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • On Twitter @ecadad1
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2017, 12:04:35 PM »

Andy Barlow and Jolyon Thomas were mentioned as producers as well. But that was back in 2015...

If I had to guess, the production credits will end up similar to HTDAAB, Lillywhite head producer on most tracks, and some others credited or co-credited on others (my bet would be on Barlow, Thomas, Teddar, Danger Mouse, Gaffney,  and perhaps Jacknife Lee being credited alongside Lillywhite on specific songs). That's kinda how U2's last 3 albums credits have gone.

Offline riffraff

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2017, 12:13:27 PM »

If I had to guess, the production credits will end up similar to HTDAAB, Lillywhite head producer on most tracks, and some others credited or co-credited on others (my bet would be on Barlow, Thomas, Teddar, Danger Mouse, Gaffney,  and perhaps Jacknife Lee being credited alongside Lillywhite on specific songs). That's kinda how U2's last 3 albums credits have gone.
The more, the merrier?