Author Topic: MOJO: U2 back at Electric Lady Studios next month with Steve Lillywhite  (Read 9965 times)

Offline ecadad

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • On Twitter @ecadad1
Re: MOJO: U2 back at Electric Lady Studios next month with Steve Lillywhite
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2017, 12:30:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So is Lillywhite going to be the only credited producer on SOE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Andy Barlow and Jolyon Thomas were mentioned as producers as well. But that was back in 2015...

If I had to guess, the production credits will end up similar to HTDAAB, Lillywhite head producer on most tracks, and some others credited or co-credited on others (my bet would be on Barlow, Thomas, Teddar, Danger Mouse, Gaffney,  and perhaps Jacknife Lee being credited alongside Lillywhite on specific songs). That's kinda how U2's last 3 albums credits have gone.
The more, the merrier?

The more, the more punk?

Offline gujuju

• Babyface
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2017, 01:59:42 PM »
I think everyone should expect SOE to be a close cousin of their other "experience" album, HTDAAB

Judging by the song titles, I would expect more direct songs, and nothing abstract. 

Not surprising, but further evidence that the 90's era is dead and buried.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2017, 02:59:13 PM »
If Adam means getting rid of all the crap like the cheesy keyboard fills, the overly pretty and soft layers, the burying of the rhythm section and the general pop veneer to get to a more organic, rawer guitar, bass and drums sound - then that is a good start for me.

Well said.  Less glossy polish, lower the vocals, and bring up the guitar!
And raise the volume of the drums! Larry's drums have been real quiet in the mix for decades! Only on the first 4 albums has there been a real balanced mix. Lillywhite is mostly responsible for that.

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2017, 03:23:11 PM »
can anyone tell us what the 2 new song titles are? i'm curious.

also i too am glad that someone in the band isn't claiming the political climate is the only reason why they are doin the nostalgia thing.

edit-
Other songs mentioned as likely for the new album are "The Best Thing About You Is Me," [Ed. note: That's how the magazine has it, but I think the "you" and "me" references should be reversed.] "The Little Things That Give You Away," "Red Flag Day" and "Summer Of Love." That last one is a new title that Bono describes as "achingly beautiful and empty." He says it and "Red Flag Day" both reference the refugee crisis in Europe.

i really REALLY hope that's not "Your the Best Thing About Me" but alas, it is, i'm sure.

I thought those 'Showman' lyrics were really cool and showed a bit of the old 90s Bono swagger, but if they don't want to press the self-destruct button then they better not release Best Thing. Utterly woeful song, embarrassing to listen to.
Have you even heard it yet? I doubt it, but if you have, I'd like to hear it too a few times to see if it really IS "embarrassing" because there's rarely a U2 song Ive heard that is embarrassing or worse. And I've heard lots of them.

Nothing redeeming about it - cheesy lyrics, generic Radio 1 melody, a chorus that falls utterly flat. A cringeworthy song that I hope is nowhere near the album.

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »
So is Lillywhite going to be the only credited producer on SOE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Andy Barlow and Jolyon Thomas were mentioned as producers as well. But that was back in 2015...

If I had to guess, the production credits will end up similar to HTDAAB, Lillywhite head producer on most tracks, and some others credited or co-credited on others (my bet would be on Barlow, Thomas, Teddar, Danger Mouse, Gaffney,  and perhaps Jacknife Lee being credited alongside Lillywhite on specific songs). That's kinda how U2's last 3 albums credits have gone.
The more, the merrier?

Too many cooks spoil the broth.

I definitely agree with the opinion that if they are going for a more 'live' sound, then Lillywhite can probably get that out of them better than most. As said, we don't need cheap crass synths and keyboards (ala California) to make it sound 'contemporary' (thanks a lot yet again to the incompetent Ryan Tedder). That isn't a mere approval for just a meaty live sound, but Tedder is no sonic wizard who is merely a one trick pony who uses the typical tricks that all creatively docile chart producers implement these days.

Andy Barlow has proven his expertise in forming dynamic and textural music with synchronised rhythms so if they go down a more 'sonically expansive' route for this album, I sure hope they adhere to him rather than Tedder.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2017, 04:42:03 PM »
If Adam means getting rid of all the crap like the cheesy keyboard fills, the overly pretty and soft layers, the burying of the rhythm section and the general pop veneer to get to a more organic, rawer guitar, bass and drums sound - then that is a good start for me.

Well said.  Less glossy polish, lower the vocals, and bring up the guitar!
And raise the volume of the drums! Larry's drums have been real quiet in the mix for decades! Only on the first 4 albums has there been a real balanced mix. Lillywhite is mostly responsible for that.

Yes! And the bass, too. We need to hear more of the drums and bass like we did in the 80s (and some of the stuff in the 90s). I shouldn't have to listen super closely to barely hear the drums/bass!

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2017, 05:38:54 PM »

Especially on ATYCLB and HTDAAB. His drums were so muddy and muffled on those records. Thankfully the last two were slightly better.

Offline pdk

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2017, 08:41:47 PM »
Not to take this off on a tangent, but wouldn't now seem like a good time to go into the studio with Rick Rubin and try that out again? From what Adam says, the songs are pretty much done and they're going to peel away some of the layers by recording live in the studio. Having songs ready to be recorded is exactly what Rubin wanted them to do.

On Lillywhite coming in: I agree that this sounds like a great idea, but then I remember that they did something similar with HTDAAB. The songs have to be there for a producer/mixer to do something with them... Here's hoping!

I was thinking the same thing about Rubin based on this approach. 

MY DREAM would be for them to get Mike Chapman (Blondie, the Knack, and more killer post-punk ROCK albums).

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2017, 09:20:24 PM »
Hmmm use the Rubin songs that would be a great idea. I loved WITS though so maybe i'm biased

actually Imaginary Friend mentioned hed like to see them work with Atticus Ross which is the closest they've ever get to the 90s sound in a true sense and not feel forced, i'd imagine.

Offline Bantering ram

• Refugee
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2017, 02:55:27 AM »
i really REALLY hope that's not "Your the Best Thing About Me" but alas, it is, i'm sure.

I'm really hoping they've got the title of that song slightly wrong - Bono gets enough grief as it is!

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2017, 09:23:08 AM »
Hmmm use the Rubin songs that would be a great idea. I loved WITS though so maybe i'm biased

actually Imaginary Friend mentioned hed like to see them work with Atticus Ross which is the closest they've ever get to the 90s sound in a true sense and not feel forced, i'd imagine.

I loved "Window in the Skies" as well. The music video is fantastic as well.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2017, 10:15:21 AM »

I loved "Window in the Skies" as well. The music video is fantastic as well.

Was all my life a Rubin demo? I wish they'd release that song, the solo and guitar work is amazing.

Offline U2runnr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Vision over visibility
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2017, 02:30:05 PM »
I'm opposite, really hoping they lead the album with Your The Best Thing About Me.... U2 is cabable of being the best Pop band in the world, and that song just proves it. Just what radio needs, a powerful and catchy song with some real substance.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • I'm a long way from your hill of calvary
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2017, 02:36:03 PM »
I personally think Working with Lillywhite again could be a fresh start for them; he may have been involved on 'Bomb', but he was also involved in their three early post-punk albums.

Certainly a step up from Tedder or RedOne.

Offline PookaMacP

• Refugee
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2017, 02:39:17 PM »

I like WITS too but I wasn't really suggesting to bring back those songs. WITS was the only one of those beach clips that I felt had any real potential.

What I meant was more the method of working. It might be interesting to hear what Rubin would do with material that's already well-prepared.