Author Topic: MOJO: U2 back at Electric Lady Studios next month with Steve Lillywhite  (Read 11386 times)

Offline pdk

• Refugee
Re: MOJO: U2 back at Electric Lady Studios next month with Steve Lillywhite
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2017, 03:19:01 PM »
Love Lillywhite but he doesn't rock the bass and drums for my taste.

He's a white boy deep to the bone.

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2017, 04:34:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He's more recent production with U2 buried the drums and the bass, but his old participation with the band is amazing. The drums and bass in the first trilogy of albums are pretty loud, proeminent and rough. Love it.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2017, 06:57:59 PM »

He's more recent production with U2 buried the drums and the bass, but his old participation with the band is amazing. The drums and bass in the first trilogy of albums are pretty loud, proeminent and rough. Love it.

Yep. The drums and bass are by far my favorite parts of the first 2-3 albums. Very prominent in the mix and gave me a new appreciation for Larry and Adam's work. Here's hoping these get a better mix on the next album.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2017, 08:49:51 PM »
Hmmm use the Rubin songs that would be a great idea. I loved WITS though so maybe i'm biased

actually Imaginary Friend mentioned hed like to see them work with Atticus Ross which is the closest they've ever get to the 90s sound in a true sense and not feel forced, i'd imagine.

I loved "Window in the Skies" as well. The music video is fantastic as well.
Which version of the video are you referring to? I liked the one with all the bands mouthing the words.

Offline OnlyU2

• Acrobat
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2017, 09:35:27 PM »

remember this from 5 years ago?
These clips have potential.  I wonder if they're making something of it

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2017, 09:36:56 PM »
Hmmm use the Rubin songs that would be a great idea. I loved WITS though so maybe i'm biased

actually Imaginary Friend mentioned hed like to see them work with Atticus Ross which is the closest they've ever get to the 90s sound in a true sense and not feel forced, i'd imagine.

Which version of the video are you referring to? I liked the one with all the bands mouthing the words.

is there another version? thats easily one of the best u2 videos.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2017, 10:13:54 PM »

is there another version? thats easily one of the best u2 videos.
There's that one, known as the "Modernista Version": You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Then there's the "Alternate Version": You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

All on U2's VEVO channel. I remember buying the Alternate Version on iTunes years ago.

Offline 30yearjt

• Babyface
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2017, 11:34:32 AM »

So were Buddy Rich and Jack Bruce.

Offline pdk

• Refugee
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »

So were Buddy Rich and Jack Bruce.

Jack Bruce was a bass player.

Buddy Rich and Ginger Baker both came from swing jazz which expounds their musical roots contrary to the metaphor I referenced to describe Lillywhite.

I hope you are having an infectiously positive day.

Thanks.

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2017, 02:40:09 PM »
Did I read it correctly? Returning to the studio to capture the live rock sound?

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2017, 03:05:31 PM »
Did I read it correctly? Returning to the studio to capture the live rock sound?

From Adam's quote about SoI sounding better and more "masculine" when played live, and Bono regretting SoI sounding too polished and not rough enough, I hope it means they're approaching the studio recording as if they're playing the songs live, not polishing the tracks so much they lose their colour.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 01:18:47 AM by The Edges Cat »

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2017, 03:30:07 PM »

From Adam's quote about SoI sounding better and more "masculine" when played live, and Bono regretting SoI sounding too polished and not rough enough, I hope it means they're approaching the studio recording as if they're playing the songs live, not recording them for an album to sound nice and pretty.
Blackstar is an album that I bring up a lot on this subject. I'm pretty sure that the entire album was recorded with the band in the same room... If that makes sense. It sounds rough and badass.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • It won't be long now...
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2017, 03:34:42 PM »

From Adam's quote about SoI sounding better and more "masculine" when played live, and Bono regretting SoI sounding too polished and not rough enough, I hope it means they're approaching the studio recording as if they're playing the songs live, not recording them for an album to sound nice and pretty.
Oh, Cat, I so hope you're right!

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2017, 07:17:50 PM »

Oh, Cat, I so hope you're right!

Same here! That was my one complaint with SoI: it sounded way too polished. I'm more of a fan of a rough, raw sound.

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2017, 02:26:22 PM »
SoI sounds unbelievably contrived with its polished sound - but are we really surprised if they hire bland producers like Paul Epworth and Ryan Tedder?

Everything that is wrong with that record is epitomised in the recording of California - take notice of that horrible crass synth running through it. That desperate need to have a contemporary sound results in the musical equivalent of fake smiles and botox to desperately appeal to a certain audience.

U2 are at their best in my opinion when their music encapsulates a sonic world which conjures up great imagery - ala The Unforgettable Fire. As Brian Eno said, he likes his music to be imaginative which conjures up 'a film of some kind'. Naturally then, this requires much sonic experimentation and we probably have to accept that this will not be the case for Songs of Experience. As such, with the straight forward conventional pop song structures they created on Songs of Innocence, it is only right then that its follow up should take into account the errors of that album and give us a live muscular sound. If they had done so with Songs of Innocence, I would have probably been much happier with it than the soulless mainstream pop sheen they desperately applied to it.

A message to U2 - you aren't Coldplay, you aren't Imagine Dragons and you certainly aren't One Republic. You are way way better than that, so STOP bringing yourselves down to their tawdry levels!