Author Topic: Hello from Vancouver!  (Read 467 times)

Offline gts316

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Creator of Theo's Rock N' Roll Feast
Hello from Vancouver!
« on: February 24, 2017, 01:22:24 PM »
Hello fello U2 Fans. My name is Gary, I have been a U2 Fan since high school in the 80's. However my appreciation for U2 has grown significantly over the past few years. I have been to 2 of their concerts in Vancouver including their most recent IE tour which was absolutely the best concert I have ever been to. That screen was amazing!

I am a university Chaplain at Simon Fraser University and a passionate foodie. Part of my role as a Chaplain is to inspire university students to think deeply about spiritual matters that can so easily be ignored in our materialistic culture. I recently developed a fun dinner concept called Theo's Feast to inspire community and spiritually inspired conversations through a series of fun edible metaphors that are paired with insightful stories. I hosted my fist dinner with over 50 university students in March of 2014. Everyone loved it! I have been working on growing the concept ever since.

Back in the spring of 2015, U2 spent about a month setting up and rehearsing their IE tour, a number of friends told me that I should invite the U2 for a Theo's Feast as they are masters of telling stories and metaphors through their music. Everyone was telling me that they would love Theo's Feast.

I thought it was a great idea to invite them for dinner, but I had no idea how to get an invitation to them. But the concept of U2 coming for dinner got me thinking deeper about U2 songs. I spent a few minutes looking at a list of there songs and quickly came up with over 20 dishes i could design all inspired by U2 songs. After much prayer and contemplation I thought ok, I think we might have something here!

I got together with one of my Chef friends and over a few weeks of experiments in the kitchen, we designed a 6 course menu all inspired by u2 songs. We hosted our first U2 inspired Feast on Dec 3rd 2016. Everyone loved it! Even my 22 year old niece who says she never even heard of U2 before coming. I am now working on refining the dinner and stories and am planning on adding the U2 feast to be one of the chapters in my upcoming cookbook.  I hope to do a number of Feasts for U2 fans this spring while they are in Vancouver. You can view Scott Callhoun's article about the U2 Feast at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. My next U2 Feast will be on March 18th. Message me if you would like more info. I also posted a poll to find out what U2 fans think of the idea of a U2 Feast in the Lounge.

I'm looking forward to connecting with more U2 Fans on this forum and hopefully in person.

God Bless!

Gary

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
Re: Hello from Vancouver!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 01:50:08 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Gary!
I'm sure your U2 dinner is something very special and delicious.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 01:59:47 PM »
Welcome...enjoy the fun here often!

Offline Rita_YVR

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 12:28:10 PM »
Hi Gary. I'm also in Vancouver & joined today.  Love the idea of that meal with a U2 theme. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline paisteguy

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 08:35:21 PM »
Hi Gary,

A Chaplain sounds like such an interesting career. When you mentioned inspiring students to think deeply about spiritual matters - it reminded me of my favourite former English Prof. in Victoria. He was a real "Inkling"!

All the best,

Rob