Author Topic: TV host James Corden is lining up U2 to star on hit show Carpool Karaoke?  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
I'd be cool with them doing this but I would rather it happen once SOE is out and not just for TJT 30.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
I'd bet it's just Bono and Edge, Larry and Adam like to pass off that PR stuff to them

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'd bet it's just Bono and Edge, Larry and Adam like to pass off that PR stuff to them

This would be lame, but I could see this happening. I think Adam might willingly join in, but Larry has always struck me as the type to not be keen on this sort of thing. He skipped doing a voice over for U2's Simpsons episode, he's avoided other "fun" stunts in the past, and he looked kind of miserable at the recent Facebook Q&A with the band.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy

This would be lame, but I could see this happening. I think Adam might willingly join in, but Larry has always struck me as the type to not be keen on this sort of thing. He skipped doing a voice over for U2's Simpsons episode, he's avoided other "fun" stunts in the past, and he looked kind of miserable at the recent Facebook Q&A with the band.
very true

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
Would be ultimate cringe though most of what they do in the media these days is cringe so wouldn't be surprised if they hitch their wagon to this one as well..

Offline Kmama07

• Stateless
  • She is everywhere and no place

Larry has seemed miserable/uncomfortable/annoyed with any PR related event for YEARS.  The Facebook Q&A was no exception and cemented the fact for me that if there is a Carpool Karaoke episode, there is no way he will take part.  It also made me wonder if he'd really rather not embark on JT30 at all...

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun

Larry has seemed miserable/uncomfortable/annoyed with any PR related event for YEARS.  The Facebook Q&A was no exception and cemented the fact for me that if there is a Carpool Karaoke episode, there is no way he will take part.  It also made me wonder if he'd really rather not embark on JT30 at all...

It's really hard to say. There's been "talk" about Larry's attitude in the past, that he's only stuck around for the money. I'm sorry, but I find that hard to believe. The guys have been doing well financially for a long time and I'd think if any of the members were truly miserable, they'd leave. No shame in that as just about every band undergoes lineup changes at some point (that's not to say any member of U2 is replaceable, just that fans are super lucky to have had the same lineup with no changes for 40 years...name another band that's lasted that long with zero lineup changes).

It seems like Larry still enjoys making music with his friends/bandmates and that's why he's stuck around. It seems like he's always given off a gruff/annoyed appearance to fans, but we don't know what the man is like personally. For all we know, he's shy or a super serious type that doesn't mean to come off abrasively. He's always struck me as a no nonsense type, which I honestly think balances the band out in a good way. So while I'd be disappointed to see him not participate in any stunts or things like Carpool Karaoke, if it's something that genuinely makes him uncomfortable? Who can blame him for not wanting to join in.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.

It's really hard to say. There's been "talk" about Larry's attitude in the past, that he's only stuck around for the money. I'm sorry, but I find that hard to believe. The guys have been doing well financially for a long time and I'd think if any of the members were truly miserable, they'd leave. No shame in that as just about every band undergoes lineup changes at some point (that's not to say any member of U2 is replaceable, just that fans are super lucky to have had the same lineup with no changes for 40 years...name another band that's lasted that long with zero lineup changes).

It seems like Larry still enjoys making music with his friends/bandmates and that's why he's stuck around. It seems like he's always given off a gruff/annoyed appearance to fans, but we don't know what the man is like personally. For all we know, he's shy or a super serious type that doesn't mean to come off abrasively. He's always struck me as a no nonsense type, which I honestly think balances the band out in a good way. So while I'd be disappointed to see him not participate in any stunts or things like Carpool Karaoke, if it's something that genuinely makes him uncomfortable? Who can blame him for not wanting to join in.
I agree with you. Larry didn't seem "miserable" during the Facebook Q&A, I think he's just more reserved than the other band members.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Ugh.  I'd rather they didn't do the James Corden thing.  I definitely liked it better when they didn't court the talk shows and such quite as eagerly.

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun

I agree with you. Larry didn't seem "miserable" during the Facebook Q&A, I think he's just more reserved than the other band members.

Yeah, it's entirely possible that he looked "miserable" during the Q&A but didn't actually feel that way. Outward appearances can be a tricky thing. I'm sure I look miserable at times when really I'm just thinking seriously about something or otherwise lost in some sort of internal dialog.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !

Yeah, it's entirely possible that he looked "miserable" during the Q&A but didn't actually feel that way. Outward appearances can be a tricky thing. I'm sure I look miserable at times when really I'm just thinking seriously about something or otherwise lost in some sort of internal dialog.
Larry seems to be the type in the band that does not like all the extra stuff indeed, like interviews, photo shoots and so on. But yeah, part of the job. Didn't Bono say "Larry just likes to hit things for a living".
That might be Larry in a nut shell. It's ok for me.

Offline Kmama07

• Stateless
  • She is everywhere and no place

Larry seems to be the type in the band that does not like all the extra stuff indeed, like interviews, photo shoots and so on. But yeah, part of the job. Didn't Bono say "Larry just likes to hit things for a living".
That might be Larry in a nut shell. It's ok for me.
True enough! That's a funny quote. As long as he shows up to record/tour, it matters not to me if he joins in on the extra curriculars...

Online bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
Larry not doing the carpool karaoke is not of any concern to me.
Bono and edge doing carpool karaoke is.

But in the great scheme of things, don't think I'll lose any sleep over this.

Online riffraff

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
Larry has always played the grump...and then, you see him laughing during the shows...he's still having fun.

Offline Discothèque Slug 82

• Babyface
  • I'm staying on to figure out my midlife crisis...
Larry may surprise us yet and participate IF it happens...but probably on the condition that he gets to use the buzzer that he used in the Q&A video  ;)