Author Topic: U2 sued for allegedly stealing song (The Fly). Not the Onion  (Read 5120 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: U2 sued for allegedly stealing song (The Fly). Not the Onion
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2017, 01:48:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I hope someone comes forward and claims u2 stole elevation off them.....

Your move Breeders (i.e. Cannonball)

A solid C for effort there, see me after class!

Ironically I recall reading in Q mag a piece talking about Behind and mentioning Elevation had a Breeders cannonball reference in it - along with other laughable comparisons...

"ELEVATION: Reminiscent of Achtung Baby's "The Fly" in its rock 'n' roll funksomeness; also features staccato SexBono. Evil guitars like The Breeders' "Cannonball." Sonar "boink" enhances beneath-sea-level ambience. Brilliant, Euro house-style sound-galloping-in-from-the distance bit. Putative single."

I remember thinking 'sounds like could be great'.....oh dear what a shock i was in for!!
Yeah, even I admit that Elevation doesn't deserve that Q mag quote. To compare it to The Fly? No way! But it's still a fun song.

much like other publications with other artists bono could fart into the mic for 3 mins and Q mag would hail it as great.

Offline riffraff

• Acrobat
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2017, 01:50:48 PM »
I hope someone comes forward and claims u2 stole elevation off them.....

Your move Breeders (i.e. Cannonball)

A solid C for effort there, see me after class!

Ironically I recall reading in Q mag a piece talking about Behind and mentioning Elevation had a Breeders cannonball reference in it - along with other laughable comparisons...

"ELEVATION: Reminiscent of Achtung Baby's "The Fly" in its rock 'n' roll funksomeness; also features staccato SexBono. Evil guitars like The Breeders' "Cannonball." Sonar "boink" enhances beneath-sea-level ambience. Brilliant, Euro house-style sound-galloping-in-from-the distance bit. Putative single."

I remember thinking 'sounds like could be great'.....oh dear what a shock i was in for!!
Yeah, even I admit that Elevation doesn't deserve that Q mag quote. To compare it to The Fly? No way! But it's still a fun song.

much like other publications with other artists bono could fart into the mic for 3 mins and Q mag would hail it as great.
well, he IS quite the fart-writer, er song-writer...

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2017, 04:50:04 PM »
The first part sounds suspiciously similar to me.

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2017, 05:02:31 PM »
The first part sounds suspiciously similar to me.

I thought so too. It has a certain feel that goes beyond a guitar solo.
But even if this was a rip, can you really value a olguitar solo and song credit at 5 million..? Is that the loss of earnings this dude thinks he missed out on had u2 not written the fly?

It didn't sound like a tune that would resonate with a mainstream audience and appeared to be an instrumental.. it was the u2 brand that got the fly to number 1 and not the song per se.

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2017, 06:58:06 PM »
This doesn't diminish my respect for u2 in the slightest, unlike when comparing led zepplin to artists they blatantly plagiarised.
At best, Rose's song may have influenced the fly, there are certain guitar tones and notes that sound familiar, but not plagiarism.
The only part you could argue is a direct rip off is the drum part,
but didn't Larry use the drum part from a song called 'the weather girls' on ISHFWILF?

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2017, 07:53:51 PM »
This doesn't diminish my respect for u2 in the slightest, unlike when comparing led zepplin to artists they blatantly plagiarised.
At best, Rose's song may have influenced the fly, there are certain guitar tones and notes that sound familiar, but not plagiarism.
but didn't Larry use the drum part from a song called 'the weather girls' on ISHFWILF?

Agreed.   No loss of respect whatsoever.    I wouldn't mind having this guy join them on another Fez trip.    Imagine some of this influence on the NLOTH sessions.   

Offline This Dave

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2017, 04:44:16 PM »

The Weather Girls was just the name of a track U2 were working on during the JT sessions. It was his own drum part that he took from that to make ISHFWILF.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • I'm a long way from your hill of calvary
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2017, 07:08:21 PM »
Surprised No one noticed the obvious here. The fly contains the line "Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief"

Ironic, no?

Of course this case has no merit - it's a case of a nobody looking for his 15 minutes

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2017, 11:29:01 PM »
They are somewhat similar... but not because U2 copied Rose. Drumming is at a much faster tempo on The Fly and there is only like three notes at the start of both solos that are identical. Sounds like a very generic and boring song.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this on here yet, but once the band released their anniversary set a few years back the statute of limitations effectively dissolved. The court views a re-released set like it was released on that date. So if the new set was released in 2011, the clock re-sets to that start date. 

Right? U2 have ripped off other artists way worse than this....

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »
How does this random nobody justify suing them all these years later for a song that was the lead single for an extremely successful album almost thirty years ago?

Offline Drake

• Babyface
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2017, 11:31:27 AM »
I'm always sort of surprised when musicians sue each other like this.
As a musician myself, it is immensely frustrating to get a melody or piece stuck in your head and forget what it's called, then bring it back up on an instrument later. It's an entirely subconscious process most of the time; I could hardly blame Edge for not double checking literally every rock song and demo out at the time to make sure he hadn't ripped someone off unintentionally.
Which...he didn't, anyway. The first few notes sound the same, but they're both in the key of E and include some notes from E minor in the guitar play. There's only so many notes in a key, and only so many rhythmically different ways to play those notes.
The rest of "Nae Slapping" sounds very little like The Fly beyond vibe and mildly similar guitar tone. And you can't sue someone over a "vibe."

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2017, 11:36:06 AM »
How does this random nobody justify suing them all these years later for a song that was the lead single for an extremely successful album almost thirty years ago?

He is claiming that he just now has someone who is willing to say that he/she (a former Island employee) knows for a fact this guy's demo was floating around Island at that time.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2017, 05:55:52 PM »
I heard somewhere that every artist is a thief.

The poet's the thief. The artist is a cannibal.

Yikes.

The lawsuit is just humor on so many levels.

Of all the songs to choose to sue U2 for, it would just have to be the song with these immortal lyrics.

Cheers,

J

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2017, 06:05:12 PM »
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this on here yet, but once the band released their anniversary set a few years back the statute of limitations effectively dissolved. The court views a re-released set like it was released on that date. So if the new set was released in 2011, the clock re-sets to that start date. 

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2017, 04:28:16 AM »
This is going to turn into something big if their not careful.