Author Topic: Convince me your favorite U2 album is their best  (Read 1758 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: Convince me your favorite U2 album is their best
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2017, 03:53:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Takes all sorts I guess. I would have HTDAAB down as the worst U2 album. It was the start of the decline and just a dull boring trying to please album.

The OP specifically requested that people "Don't s#!t on other albums". Can we not have ONE thread where fans are allowed to praise HTDAAB without others posting their dismissive criticisms in response? I'm so tired of this negativity derailing just about every positive thread on the forum. Please, save it for the "worst" polls and debates where it's actually on topic.
It looks like a constructive criticism to me... Magnificent was hardly sh**ting on the album.

I'm not sure what you think is "constructive" about Magnificent's review, and more to the point, this thread was not created for people to criticise albums - quite the opposite.
If you have a problem with the conversation getting away from the original topic presented, then take it out on whoever changed the subject... or don't at all. This happens with literally every thread on the board, conversations are going to change subjects. That is just a natural tendency with human interaction.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »
Takes all sorts I guess. I would have HTDAAB down as the worst U2 album. It was the start of the decline and just a dull boring trying to please album.

The OP specifically requested that people "Don't s#!t on other albums". Can we not have ONE thread where fans are allowed to praise HTDAAB without others posting their dismissive criticisms in response? I'm so tired of this negativity derailing just about every positive thread on the forum. Please, save it for the "worst" polls and debates where it's actually on topic.
It looks like a constructive criticism to me... Magnificent was hardly sh**ting on the album.

I'm not sure what you think is "constructive" about Magnificent's review, and more to the point, this thread was not created for people to criticise albums - quite the opposite.
If you have a problem with the conversation getting away from the original topic presented, then take it out on whoever changed the subject... or don't at all.

Er... I did.

This happens with literally every thread on the board, conversations are going to change subjects. That is just a natural tendency with human interaction.

You're right about that - just about any thread will sooner or later descend into yet another HTDAAB hate-fest, no matter how irrelevant it is to the original subject. But that's not inevitable. People are choosing to keep doing it.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2017, 04:11:10 PM »

If you have a problem with the conversation getting away from the original topic presented, then take it out on whoever changed the subject... or don't at all.

Er... I did.

This happens with literally every thread on the board, conversations are going to change subjects. That is just a natural tendency with human interaction.

You're right about that - just about any thread will sooner or later descend into yet another HTDAAB hate-fest, no matter how irrelevant it is to the original subject. But that's not inevitable. People are choosing to keep doing it.
You're kind of right... I thought this was a different thread and assumed you were complaining to the wrong person. Which only proves you're point.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2017, 04:19:27 PM »

Er... I did.

You're kind of right... I thought this was a different thread and assumed you were complaining to the wrong person. Which only proves you're point.

Ha, OK. :)

Online riffraff

• Acrobat
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2017, 04:59:21 PM »

Er... I did.

Ha, OK. :)
Peace, brothers...

Offline ian ryan

• Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2017, 05:46:18 PM »

As for the best it has to be Achtung Baby. The album on it's own is amazing but to tie that in with u2 reinventing themselves as well as the pressure of following up the huge success of the Joshua Tree and the stick they got for R&H makes it number 1

As was said earlier it also had the best tour by any band ever. It ruined all other concerts for me since......

Remember when I said that this wasn't about s#!ting on other albums?

Offline ian ryan

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2017, 05:48:29 PM »

I asked for people to tell me what they loved about the album they love, not to be critical of other albums (and in a taciturn way be critical of the taste of the people who like them). If someone can't help themselves but to be critical, they probably shouldn't have participated in this thread in the first place.

Offline ian ryan

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2017, 05:55:19 PM »
Why do I love Zooropa? I think it has the best lyrics the band have ever done, in particular the amazingly crafted lyrics of being lost and optimistically hopeless that are in Zoorpa, The Wanderer, and Lemon. I love what Eno and Edge did for the electronic sounds that permeate the album. I think U2's addressing of a specific region of the world and its troubles are the best they've ever done. The whole album feels like someone who is lost but still optimistic...which is also the theme of Beautiful Day, oddly enough.

Why do I love Atomic Bomb? I love its energy. There is no way that U2 could really do a garage rock album at this point in their careers, but this was as close as U2 could come and still be U2. I love Edge's lyrics in the bridge of Miracle Drug, and how in the live performance there was the sound of a violin behind the choruses. I love how City of Blinding Lights, which is tied with Lemon for my favorite U2 song, captures this wild, bright-eyed sense of exploration, with older nostalgia touching all of it. I love the melodies of the album, Original Of The Species in particular. Bono's scream at the end All Because Of You is remarkably sincere for someone who had been in the business that long.

I could keep on going about both of them, but for me one is the best album U2 have done about being lost and the other is the best album U2 have done about being hopeful. They go pretty hand in hand for me.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2017, 02:53:40 AM »
I am not going to 'convince you my favourite u2 album is their best' - 1. Because I am not sure my favourite u2 album is actually their 'best' anyway (more to come on that point) 2. To quote the opening post I am not going to 'tell you that you are wrong' by telling you what I love about my favourite u2 album, because what I love about it does not make me 'right' and therefore you 'wrong' my opinion is mine, yours is yours - neither of us are right or wrong.

I will however share with the forum why my favourite u2 album is my favourite u2 album.

AB, TJT....they are the 'big two' that slug it out at the top of the critics polls, the polls in here and in my experience in Joe Public's general view when the question is asked 'What is u2's best album' or 'What is your favourite u2 album'.....I also believe (could be wrong) that they are also the bands top 2 selling albums...

Now I am very much of the view that TJT is overrated, the bands most overrated album for me and one of the most overrated ever made by anybody - it isn't bad at all and I can see why people like it, but for my money it is massively overrated....AB is an album I love - u2's strongest collection of songs, their 'best' album for me if you go song by song it is the album that is the strongest collection of songs - BUT it isn't my favourite, it just does not quite hold a place in my affections the way my favourite does - it just does not quite engage me in the same way that my favourite does.....

My current car is the 'best' I have ever owned but it isn't my favourite...it is that kind of analogy that hopefully explains what I mean and why AB has to settle for the runners up spot in the favourite u2 album stakes to the one, the only, the hated, adored but never ignored (except in concerts by its creators) POP.

U2's most divisive album is my favourite...it is a complex beast, but a beast that finds u2 at their sonic and lyrical peak in my book.

Pop is a record that manages to look and act trashy and shallow but yet be insightful, heart-breakingly beautiful, sexy, angry, contemplative and deep and even spiritual whilst still being cool - a trick u2 had never pulled off before or have never pulled off since....a difficult trick to be fair and manages to walk all those diverse lines and other emotions and feelings whilst exploring sonic ground the band was treading on for the first time in such depth.

Has Bono ever bared his soul more than in these lines?

"Mother, am I still your son
You know I'm waiting for so long to hear you say so
Mother, you left and made me someone
Now I'm still a child but no one tells me no"....

If those words were set to 'normal' edge guitar or even piano and sung in Bono's most earnest sounding voice I reckon they'd be loved a lot more - set to burbling electronic beats and delivered in a relatively understated manner their sheer heart breaking nature seem to not be appreciated as much....For me the sonic landscape makes the lyrics feel more powerful - there is a claustrophobic intensity present that just hits me so hard and adds weight to the words.

The fact that so many reviews and reactions were and still are 'oh u2 have gone dance' 'shallow' 'electronic' 'where is the deep u2 of old' etc. makes me laugh and I love that u2 had made such a deep, dark, complex record as heavy as hell and wrapped it up in such a way that it confused people...Bono talked about 'f****** up the mainstream' in the early 90's - this was the last time they actually did it.

The album is 60 minutes long - the longest of the bands career, they had so much to say and didn't care about clipping songs down, this was a record that pandered to nobody that stood as a long, complex, complicated, heavy as hell monster of a record that smiled and winked and laughed at you whilst it bared its soul at you. Darkness wrapped up in fluorescent shiny paper!

The songs that make it my favourite....Discotheque - Edge REALLY was on fire here - The music that accompanies the 'it's not a trick, cos you can't learn it' part is the most exhilarating sound that the 4 men had ever crafted in my view up to that point - they were soon to top it though.

Do You Feel Loved - The first time u2 sounded like sex - but this is Pop and this is sex with an undercurrent 'It looks like the sun, but it feels like the rain'....

And it looks like the sun
But it feels like rain
And there's heat in the sun
To see us through the rain.

The situation looks and superficially feels good - full of 'gear' feeling hot and up for it and liking what you see but it’s actually empty and does not feel all that good deep down.....but raw animal needs/passion and the high has just about enough 'heat' to help us switch off and feel a high that covers/makes us forget  the real deeper empty feeling...

We've all been there....

Mofo - The heaviest u2 song ever - the fact it is the song that is the most overtly 'dance' in the eyes of those who can't or won't look deep enough makes that fact the absolute perfect example of what u2 and Pop were all about at that time....as previously mentioned Bono has for me never been more raw and showed his soul more than in this tour de force for me. The most exhilarating sound u2 have ever conjured up just two songs after the previous most exhilarating sound they had ever conjured up! We are onto a winner here, aren't we.

Gone - The last time for me u2 went all out 'rawk' and didn't sound clumsy - actually sounded heavy effortlessly rocking rather than wearing a leather jacket and throwing rock shapes but sounding about as rock n roll as a day in the office.

Miami - 'u2 wrote Miami'....yes they f****** did and I love it.

If You Wear That Velvet Dress – They are doing sexy again – u2 don’t do sexy! Well they do now and this song crackles with it.

Please – a masterpiece – lyrically it is as angry as u2 have ever been – but instead of bombast and being captain obvious ala SBS, they set it to an understated sonic landscape and Bono whispers rather than shouts – it adds to the intensity…..subtlety is something u2 were just masters of on this record. The brooding intensity of this song is unmatched in their catalogue.

Wake Up Dead Man –  Bono directly talking to Jesus in a song is potentially the stuff of nightmares – but he pulls it off here beautifully…once again it is the sonic landscape and the delivery that makes what could have been a clunker just a stunner.

The rest of the album has the odd miss step or two – the chiming guitar that for me ruins IGWSHA (could have been a stunner if they had held back on that) being the most obvious miss step. Those miss steps though are forgiveable within the overall landscape of the record.

The 90’s is easily my favourite era for music generally and Pop sits up there with the likes of Is This Desire by PJ Harvey as great records from artists pushing themselves and their listeners to their limits, dividing opinion more than any other record in their cannon/s but as time has worn on becoming ever more appreciated and standing the test of time better than more lauded works – u2 had never sounded so interesting and have never sounded so interesting since to me.

Pop is my favourite u2 record – if I was only allowed to own one u2 record it would be this one.

I always feel a little sad that the band as I loved them at that time died after Pop - but what a way to go out.....at the funeral the pall bearers are dressed up as the Village People before going on to deliver the most beautiful epitah that leaves not a dry eye in the house and then smiling, no actually smirking.... laughing and playing "feeling hot, hot, hot" and doing a conga down the church aisle".....

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:01:30 AM by an tha »

Offline aviastar

• Stateless
  • Cleared to flight level 340
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2017, 07:19:39 AM »
I really enjoy Bono's vocals on IGWSHA.  It gets critized but I really like the song...I think they do some pretty cool things on it.

Please is a masterpiece.

For all the criticism Playboy Mansion and Miami get, neither song is close to the misstep IMO that New York is on the next album.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:23:46 AM by aviastar »

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »
Post has been removed. Let's get back on topic here. If you disagree with another member's opinion, make sure to express that disagreement in a respectful way.

Offline DK46

• Stateless
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2017, 12:58:32 PM »
I am not going to 'convince you my favourite u2 album is their best' - 1. Because I am not sure my favourite u2 album is actually their 'best' anyway (more to come on that point) 2. To quote the opening post I am not going to 'tell you that you are wrong' by telling you what I love about my favourite u2 album, because what I love about it does not make me 'right' and therefore you 'wrong' my opinion is mine, yours is yours - neither of us are right or wrong.

I will however share with the forum why my favourite u2 album is my favourite u2 album.

AB, TJT....they are the 'big two' that slug it out at the top of the critics polls, the polls in here and in my experience in Joe Public's general view when the question is asked 'What is u2's best album' or 'What is your favourite u2 album'.....I also believe (could be wrong) that they are also the bands top 2 selling albums...

Now I am very much of the view that TJT is overrated, the bands most overrated album for me and one of the most overrated ever made by anybody - it isn't bad at all and I can see why people like it, but for my money it is massively overrated....AB is an album I love - u2's strongest collection of songs, their 'best' album for me if you go song by song it is the album that is the strongest collection of songs - BUT it isn't my favourite, it just does not quite hold a place in my affections the way my favourite does - it just does not quite engage me in the same way that my favourite does.....

My current car is the 'best' I have ever owned but it isn't my favourite...it is that kind of analogy that hopefully explains what I mean and why AB has to settle for the runners up spot in the favourite u2 album stakes to the one, the only, the hated, adored but never ignored (except in concerts by its creators) POP.

U2's most divisive album is my favourite...it is a complex beast, but a beast that finds u2 at their sonic and lyrical peak in my book.

Pop is a record that manages to look and act trashy and shallow but yet be insightful, heart-breakingly beautiful, sexy, angry, contemplative and deep and even spiritual whilst still being cool - a trick u2 had never pulled off before or have never pulled off since....a difficult trick to be fair and manages to walk all those diverse lines and other emotions and feelings whilst exploring sonic ground the band was treading on for the first time in such depth.

If those words were set to 'normal' edge guitar or even piano and sung in Bono's most earnest sounding voice I reckon they'd be loved a lot more - set to burbling electronic beats and delivered in a relatively understated manner their sheer heart breaking nature seem to not be appreciated as much....For me the sonic landscape makes the lyrics feel more powerful - there is a claustrophobic intensity present that just hits me so hard and adds weight to the words.

The fact that so many reviews and reactions were and still are 'oh u2 have gone dance' 'shallow' 'electronic' 'where is the deep u2 of old' etc. makes me laugh and I love that u2 had made such a deep, dark, complex record as heavy as hell and wrapped it up in such a way that it confused people...Bono talked about 'f****** up the mainstream' in the early 90's - this was the last time they actually did it.

The album is 60 minutes long - the longest of the bands career, they had so much to say and didn't care about clipping songs down, this was a record that pandered to nobody that stood as a long, complex, complicated, heavy as hell monster of a record that smiled and winked and laughed at you whilst it bared its soul at you. Darkness wrapped up in fluorescent shiny paper!

The songs that make it my favourite....Discotheque - Edge REALLY was on fire here - The music that accompanies the 'it's not a trick, cos you can't learn it' part is the most exhilarating sound that the 4 men had ever crafted in my view up to that point - they were soon to top it though.

Do You Feel Loved - The first time u2 sounded like sex - but this is Pop and this is sex with an undercurrent 'It looks like the sun, but it feels like the rain'....

But it feels like rain

The situation looks and superficially feels good - full of 'gear' feeling hot and up for it and liking what you see but it’s actually empty and does not feel all that good deep down.....but raw animal needs/passion and the high has just about enough 'heat' to help us switch off and feel a high that covers/makes us forget  the real deeper empty feeling...

We've all been there....

Mofo - The heaviest u2 song ever - the fact it is the song that is the most overtly 'dance' in the eyes of those who can't or won't look deep enough makes that fact the absolute perfect example of what u2 and Pop were all about at that time....as previously mentioned Bono has for me never been more raw and showed his soul more than in this tour de force for me. The most exhilarating sound u2 have ever conjured up just two songs after the previous most exhilarating sound they had ever conjured up! We are onto a winner here, aren't we.

Gone - The last time for me u2 went all out 'rawk' and didn't sound clumsy - actually sounded heavy effortlessly rocking rather than wearing a leather jacket and throwing rock shapes but sounding about as rock n roll as a day in the office.

If You Wear That Velvet Dress – They are doing sexy again – u2 don’t do sexy! Well they do now and this song crackles with it.

Please – a masterpiece – lyrically it is as angry as u2 have ever been – but instead of bombast and being captain obvious ala SBS, they set it to an understated sonic landscape and Bono whispers rather than shouts – it adds to the intensity…..subtlety is something u2 were just masters of on this record. The brooding intensity of this song is unmatched in their catalogue.

Wake Up Dead Man –  Bono directly talking to Jesus in a song is potentially the stuff of nightmares – but he pulls it off here beautifully…once again it is the sonic landscape and the delivery that makes what could have been a clunker just a stunner.

The rest of the album has the odd miss step or two – the chiming guitar that for me ruins IGWSHA (could have been a stunner if they had held back on that) being the most obvious miss step. Those miss steps though are forgiveable within the overall landscape of the record.

The 90’s is easily my favourite era for music generally and Pop sits up there with the likes of Is This Desire by PJ Harvey as great records from artists pushing themselves and their listeners to their limits, dividing opinion more than any other record in their cannon/s but as time has worn on becoming ever more appreciated and standing the test of time better than more lauded works – u2 had never sounded so interesting and have never sounded so interesting since to me.

Pop is my favourite u2 record – if I was only allowed to own one u2 record it would be this one.

I always feel a little sad that the band as I loved them at that time died after Pop - but what a way to go out.....at the funeral the pall bearers are dressed up as the Village People before going on to deliver the most beautiful epitah that leaves not a dry eye in the house and then smiling, no actually smirking.... laughing and playing "feeling hot, hot, hot" and doing a conga down the church aisle".....

Excellent analysis, I concur completely.

I'd say Pop might be my favorite too, but 90s U2 was on fire.  Achtung Baby is very near and dear to my heart as well.   I can find very little, if anything to dislike in that decade.  Passengers is also brilliant, wish they'd do a follow up to that, emphasis on wish there.

The Playboy Mansion and Miami get a lot of flak, but I really like those tracks.  I found a description from someone online regarding Miami, as being just so "bizarre, creepy, leering, and like a pervert's alternate-universe travel advertisement for southern Florida." ("Some places are like your auntie,/
but there's no place like...MIAMI! My mammy...").  I think that sums it up well.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2017, 03:58:32 PM »

But it feels like rain

We've all been there....

Very great write-up. I absolutely adore this album as much as I do Achtung Baby... but as much as I love it I can't bring myself to place it over Achtung.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2017, 11:15:55 AM »

But it feels like rain

We've all been there....

Excellent analysis, I concur completely.

I'd say Pop might be my favorite too, but 90s U2 was on fire.  Achtung Baby is very near and dear to my heart as well.   I can find very little, if anything to dislike in that decade.  Passengers is also brilliant, wish they'd do a follow up to that, emphasis on wish there.

The Playboy Mansion and Miami get a lot of flak, but I really like those tracks.  I found a description from someone online regarding Miami, as being just so "bizarre, creepy, leering, and like a pervert's alternate-universe travel advertisement for southern Florida." ("Some places are like your auntie,/
but there's no place like...MIAMI! My mammy...").  I think that sums it up well.

I like that description!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2017, 11:17:10 AM »

But it feels like rain

We've all been there....

Very great write-up. I absolutely adore this album as much as I do Achtung Baby... but as much as I love it I can't bring myself to place it over Achtung.

Thanks....it is an interesting one...as i said AB is the 'best' album they have made for me me...but i love Pop more.