Author Topic: "Seinfeld" bass on "Wire"  (Read 693 times)

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
"Seinfeld" bass on "Wire"
« on: March 01, 2017, 03:01:00 PM »
Listen to Adam on "Wire", it sounds like the bass pluckings from the Seinfeld show theme.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
Re: "Seinfeld" bass on "Wire"
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 03:30:02 PM »
Elvis Presley and Kramerica ?

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:33:55 AM »
When a bass guitar puts out that sound...What is it exactly?

Is it the guitar? The player? A pedal?

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 09:41:18 AM »
Just a general comment/observation on Adam's bass-playing...  Early Adam is quite adventurous.  You can see this, for example, on the "Under a Blood Red Sky" concert.  Lots of slap, funk, even reggae.  They kind of let him do what he want.  After Adam began taking formal lessons later in his career, it seems this adventurous spirit was tempered (whether by the formal training or the rest of the band putting a lid on it, I do not know).  I'm of the opinion that if "Gloria" was written today, his entire bass solo in the break would have disappeared.  And that would be a shame. 

He still has really great bass lines, but the experimentation and variation has lessened as he has become more proficient.   

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 11:05:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just a general comment/observation on Adam's bass-playing...  Early Adam is quite adventurous.  You can see this, for example, on the "Under a Blood Red Sky" concert.  Lots of slap, funk, even reggae.  They kind of let him do what he want.  After Adam began taking formal lessons later in his career, it seems this adventurous spirit was tempered (whether by the formal training or the rest of the band putting a lid on it, I do not know).  I'm of the opinion that if "Gloria" was written today, his entire bass solo in the break would have disappeared.  And that would be a shame. 

He still has really great bass lines, but the experimentation and variation has lessened as he has become more proficient.   

Although its not a great song, I find his playing on Get on Your Boots to kind of creative, particularly live.

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 11:10:03 AM »

Id say the opposite, i feel he has been busy this past few tours expanding his bass lines. He certainly used a lot more delay (Walk On for example) but i dont feel that has added to the song, quite the opposite

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 11:11:55 AM »

If we are thinking of the same sound, I reckon its an overdrive pedal that would give that sound. Its a cool sound

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 11:55:21 AM »
Elvis Presley and Kramerica ?

And with Darin's help they'll get that Drunk Chicken.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 12:12:21 PM »

If we are thinking of the same sound, I reckon its an overdrive pedal that would give that sound. Its a cool sound

I thought they were talking about the slap bass sound.

In which case, it's simply caused by "slapping" the bass strings, rather than the usual picking or strumming.

Of course, the Seinfeld theme is technically all done using a synth, using a "slap bass" sound.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 05:40:34 PM »

I thought they were talking about the slap bass sound.

In which case, it's simply caused by "slapping" the bass strings, rather than the usual picking or strumming.

Of course, the Seinfeld theme is technically all done using a synth, using a "slap bass" sound.
Great news interview on that if anyone is as surprised as I was:

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • take the long way home
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »

Probably an Ampeg SVT dimed through their 8x12 cab, miked.

Offline feedback

• Refugee
  • 'Father is an Elephant'
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 08:42:41 PM »
Wrong. More like the bass intro on the Squeeze song 'Big Ben' from 1985 was very Seinfeld:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 08:45:59 PM by feedback »

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 08:51:34 PM »
The Unforgettable Contest

Tryin to Throw Your Arms Through the Puffy Shirt

A Pigman and A Low Talker

Offline benpoke

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 03:54:44 AM »

I agree that he was quite adventurous early on (1981-1984 were good years for our bassist).  After that, he seemed to be the kind of the single string from Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby, before starting to get interesting again on Zooropa and ever since then I think his bass-playing has actually got a lot better.

With regards to Wire, it is indeed slap bass.  He did a bit of that in the early 80s, starting with Gloria (slap bass solo) Stranger In A Strange Land, through Surrender, the War tour, Wire and also the intro to Indian Summer Sky.

Slap bass was everywhere in the 80s....

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 06:09:50 PM »

It's called popping:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:11:46 PM by jgrooms »