2 (1.5%)
If You Wear That Velvet Dreas
2 (1.5%)
Please
29 (21.3%)
Wake Up Dead Man
5 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Ladies and Gentlemen - POP....Your favourite  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Spaderholic

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen - POP....Your favourite
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »
Oh, and btw, an tha: "EHH-LE-VAAIE-SHUN!! Oooo Hooo! Ooo Hoo! Wooo Hooo....a mole diggin' in a hole, diggin' up my soul..." :-D:-P

Offline Spacejunk69

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2017, 05:06:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh, and btw, an tha: "EHH-LE-VAAIE-SHUN!! Oooo Hooo! Ooo Hoo! Wooo Hooo....a mole diggin' in a hole, diggin' up my soul..." :-D:-P

Compare these awful lyrics to ANYTHING on Pop, and you have the difference between a band pushing its boundaries and creativity to the absolute darkest limits, taking risks and inventiveness to extremely high levels, and the plastic, bubble gum pop tune of a band reaching out to the masses for money making, fist pumping adulation.

I know which band I prefer.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2017, 05:27:12 PM »

:)

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2017, 03:02:35 AM »
For years it was Mofo but Please has become my favourite U2 song and sits just below Jumbo (underworld) as my all-time favourite by any artist.

With regards to Mofo, this would be the song I would play to any U2 non believer, just to show what how far away from the public perception of them that they travelled to in the mid 90's.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:24:47 PM by Blueyedboy »

Online andrewau2

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2017, 05:48:39 AM »
Has to be Gone.....surely?????

+1

Offline larrylove

• Wanderer
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2017, 04:33:02 AM »
Do you feel loved

Offline aviastar

• Stateless
  • Cleared to flight level 340
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2017, 08:04:54 PM »
Typically when we get to cruise altitude I pop in the headphones - my old iPod is full of U2 songs.   Gone came up today and I realized that I had forgotten how great of a song it is.  When I got home tonight I watched Gone live in Popmart Mexico City on youtube...Bono sang that song with a ton of energy.

I always used to think Please was the best song on the album, but now I think I might have to say Gone.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:11:34 PM by aviastar »

Offline DK46

• Stateless
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2017, 09:28:59 PM »
I love this album, honestly, I like every track.  Even the clunkers, Miami and Playboy Mansion have things to offer.  I actually quite like both, but I get they're not for everyone. 

Picking a favorite was hard, cause it's changed so often.  For now, I chose Gone.  I just love Edge's guitar work, the alarm, buzzing guitar to kick it off.  The krautrock drumbeat and that infectious groove of a bass line.   Then there's Bono, who really shines on this track, "It's emotional!"  But, Please, Do You Feel Loved, Mofo, Discotheque, Staring at the Sun, Wake Up Dead Man, I mean I was gonna list the whole album.  This album is just killer. 

If they were to play Please on TJT tour, which I think would fit, that would be beyond godly.  Though sadly, it's highly unlikely.

Offline benpoke

• Stateless
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2017, 06:08:35 AM »

If You Wear That Velvet Dress (oh the guitar solo)

Man, I love that guitar solo.  Dreamy, seductive, more delay than anyone in their right mind should ever use.  Very nearly put Velvet Dress at the top for me, but I go with Do You Feel Loved.  If U2 had taken the blueprint of the first three tracks and spread it across the entire album, it would have been awesome. 

Offline Discothèque Slug 82

• Babyface
  • I'm staying on to figure out my midlife crisis...
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2017, 10:18:25 AM »
It should hopefully be obvious what I voted for...BOOM CHA! I remember before I bought the cd single I taped it off Radio 1 and looped it over and over till it filled side 1 of the cassette so I could listen to it again and again without having to press rewind...the 'new mix' on The Best Of 1990-2000 does nothing for me though, they got it right the first time!

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Stateless
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Ladies and Gentlemen - POP....Your favourite
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2017, 03:23:33 PM »

If You Wear That Velvet Dress (oh the guitar solo)

Man, I love that guitar solo.  Dreamy, seductive, more delay than anyone in their right mind should ever use.

One of the greatest pieces Edge has ever recorded.

That solo it's one of the best testaments of his minimalistic genius:
with only few notes he captures the entire mood of the song and creates a dreamy sonic landscape for the listener to delve into.

Too bad he's rarely given credit for these little gems.
Most music fans don't understand that he really deserves to be considered on the same league as Gilmour and co.

Pop Edge was a moster.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:27:20 PM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Offline dwaltman

• Numb
Ladies and Gentlemen - POP....Your favourite
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2017, 04:01:41 PM »
Can't decide between Please and Mofo. I prefer the Jools Holland version of IYWTVD. Do you Feel Loved is a contender too.

If I recall I think the PoP was played on some radio station before the actual release and I recorded the show. I also remember chaperoning kids to a DC trip when Discotheque single came out and trying to find the single to play on the way home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2017, 07:28:41 PM »
My name says it all.

I went with the Playboy Mansion. Their best pop song of all time.

Lyrics as deep as anything Bono has written - just need to get past the veneer. Heck, even Chris Martin thought it was good enough to plagiarise [Banks become Cathedrals].

Amazing production and Edge's backing vocals - done with the Courier fan waiting outside to collect the Master tapes [as legend has it] - are as good as anything he's contributed to a U2 track.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:33:03 PM by mofospacejunk »

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2017, 10:00:37 PM »
My name says it all.

I went with the Playboy Mansion. Their best pop song of all time.

Lyrics as deep as anything Bono has written - just need to get past the veneer. Heck, even Chris Martin thought it was good enough to plagiarise [Banks become Cathedrals].

Amazing production and Edge's backing vocals - done with the Courier fan waiting outside to collect the Master tapes [as legend has it] - are as good as anything he's contributed to a U2 track.
I've never thought of TPM as a pop song. Maybe it's intended to be one, sarcastically (sarcastically because the whole song is a social commentary, mocking the current times), but I'd consider it more of a rock song... almost trip-rock like Miami, because of the breakbeats and drum-loops. I know I'm being nitpicky, just wanted to say something...

That's also very interesting to hear on Edge's backing vocals. He does do an amazing job on that track... I just hate that it's so underrated.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2017, 09:11:57 PM »
Please is the best song on the album. Its not even open for debate :P

Agreed. WUDM is a close second.