2 (1.5%)
If You Wear That Velvet Dreas
2 (1.5%)
Please
29 (21.3%)
Wake Up Dead Man
5 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Ladies and Gentlemen - POP....Your favourite  (Read 2438 times)

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen - POP....Your favourite
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2017, 10:46:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Please is the best song on the album. Its not even open for debate :P

Agreed. WUDM is a close second.

WUDM is close second for me as well. Listened to it last night [because of this thread]. Amazing, amazing song.

The detail in it is immense - that chant singing brilliant.

Absolutely love Bono's bridge lyrics. 'Listen to ...'

Best album closer they've ever done. And I rate Love is Blindness extremely high.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2017, 02:25:13 AM »
I picked MOFO. Listening to POP recently for this anniversary after many years of not listening to it, I've gained a new appreciation for "Miami". I'm appreciating the abstract lyrics (like poetry) and the sonics on this song. Kudos to The Edge! Of course it makes perfect sense for Ginsburg to read the lyrics on camera lol

Live -- underrated, in my opinion. Chorus played nicely during PopMart.

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2017, 12:30:37 PM »
I picked MOFO. Listening to POP recently for this anniversary after many years of not listening to it, I've gained a new appreciation for "Miami". I'm appreciating the abstract lyrics (like poetry) and the sonics on this song. Kudos to The Edge! Of course it makes perfect sense for Ginsburg to read the lyrics on camera lol

Its fabulous live, one of my favorites. Mofo, Gone, Last Night On Earth, Miami and Please - all in my top 10 U2 songs, and all BRILLIANT live.

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2017, 02:36:15 PM »

Its fabulous live, one of my favorites. Mofo, Gone, Last Night On Earth, Miami and Please - all in my top 10 U2 songs, and all BRILLIANT live.

I have had the Santiago bootleg since it first came out, but the other night I watched the entire show on YouTube (LOUD, with headphones on), and I was blown away at how great an all-around performance it was.

And I wasn't even that high....

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2017, 03:30:43 PM »

I have had the Santiago bootleg since it first came out, but the other night I watched the entire show on YouTube (LOUD, with headphones on), and I was blown away at how great an all-around performance it was.

And I wasn't even that high....

Some of my favorite Pop recordings are:

04.25.97 - Las Vegas - I don't care what anyone says, its like on massive jam session. Brilliant sound quality and some of my favorite liver performances of songs such as Last Nigh On Earth and Miami.

08.18.97 - Nurenberg Zeppelinfeld - a fun listen soundboard recording where you can here the techs asking for different stuff (more bass, more drums, more guitar etc). Great show too!

09.23.97 - Sarajevo - nuff said!

09.30.97 - Tel Aviv, Israel

03.21.98 - Johannesburg

There are so many more too.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2017, 07:42:31 PM »
Anybody have the 23 CD set of PopMart rehearsals recorded in Las Vegas? I only have about the first 10 CDs of it... Interesting stuff.

Offline ahmadsquad

• Babyface
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2017, 06:51:07 AM »
For years it was Mofo but Please has become my favourite U2 song and sits just below Jumbo (underworld) as my all-time favourite by any artist.

With regards to Mofo, this would be the song I would play to any U2 non believer, just to show what how far away from the public perception of them that they travelled to in the mid 90's.

There was a rumor that Underworld tried to do a remix of Mofo, but it never saw the light of day. It's a shame! BTW, if you like Jumbo, you should listen to Low Burn off Underworld's latest album.

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2017, 07:55:26 AM »
I do NOT understand the love for Mofo. Sure it's an interesting experimental track from them that actually kinda works, but it's not a sound that resonates with anything else that most people like from U2 so I don't get it's popularity.

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2017, 11:01:25 AM »
I do NOT understand the love for Mofo. Sure it's an interesting experimental track from them that actually kinda works, but it's not a sound that resonates with anything else that most people like from U2 so I don't get it's popularity.

Really? I like all kinds of different sounds from U2, and Mofo sounds absolutely fantastic. There's so much going on in there! Would *love* the chance to see it live.

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Stateless
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2017, 12:49:03 PM »
Mofo is the sound of U2 injected with ecstasy, deconstructed and pushed to the extreme whilst retaining an "anthemic" quality to it: I think that's where the fascination with the track comes from.

It's still them and they manage to sound raw and real even beneath layers of samplers and electronic beats.

If you want a simpler explanation, it's simply a great exciting dance tune.

Personally, my love for 90's electronic music plays and important role in my appreciation for the song, it's totally undestandable that someone might not dig it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:52:48 PM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
For years it was Mofo but Please has become my favourite U2 song and sits just below Jumbo (underworld) as my all-time favourite by any artist.

With regards to Mofo, this would be the song I would play to any U2 non believer, just to show what how far away from the public perception of them that they travelled to in the mid 90's.

There was a rumor that Underworld tried to do a remix of Mofo, but it never saw the light of day. It's a shame! BTW, if you like Jumbo, you should listen to Low Burn off Underworld's latest album.

Nice one, I'm all over it!

Offline ahmadsquad

• Babyface
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2017, 10:26:54 PM »
Mofo is the sound of U2 injected with ecstasy, deconstructed and pushed to the extreme whilst retaining an "anthemic" quality to it: I think that's where the fascination with the track comes from.

It's still them and they manage to sound raw and real even beneath layers of samplers and electronic beats.

If you want a simpler explanation, it's simply a great exciting dance tune.

Personally, my love for 90's electronic music plays and important role in my appreciation for the song, it's totally undestandable that someone might not dig it.

This right here. I was listening to Chemical Brothers and Underworld and Prodigy when Pop came out, and Mofo is as good as most of the techno tracks   of the time. Combine that sound with great lyrics, and you get something really special.

I remember most of my friends not really "getting" the album, but most of them liked Please.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2017, 12:02:15 AM »
I've never understood the love for Gone.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2017, 02:38:33 AM »
I've never understood the love for Gone.
I guess people really dig that 747 guitar sound that The Edge created... Sonically, it does sound amazing.

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2017, 03:31:45 AM »
Once again...a member of our forum knocks it out of the park.

And a very important one for us U2 fandom kids:)

hmmm...It's hard to pick....

But I still have to give it to "Discotheque"

...With it all it's tweaking and ever awesome Music Video this was that U2 bomb that became "noted" as a "bomb".

Very unfortunate.

Best album they ever released...bar none.

Unfortunate that Bono & the kids are chasing new (and old) media celebrating 1987.

No, no...your 10 years to early!

Haha...