2 (1.5%)
If You Wear That Velvet Dreas
2 (1.5%)
Please
29 (21.3%)
Wake Up Dead Man
5 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Ladies and Gentlemen - POP....Your favourite  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen - POP....Your favourite
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2017, 09:43:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For years it was Mofo but Please has become my favourite U2 song and sits just below Jumbo (underworld) as my all-time favourite by any artist.

With regards to Mofo, this would be the song I would play to any U2 non believer, just to show what how far away from the public perception of them that they travelled to in the mid 90's.

There was a rumor that Underworld tried to do a remix of Mofo, but it never saw the light of day. It's a shame! BTW, if you like Jumbo, you should listen to Low Burn off Underworld's latest album.

OMG, Jumbo is amazing.  I don't know how such a sustained mood/riff becomes transcendent, but it just does.

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »
Please. The song and its straightforward production are perfectly executed. Live the SBS drumbeat was a nice touch and one of best transitions into Streets.

Love the single version too. Strings and a more live-like guitar sound.

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2017, 09:52:51 AM »
I've never understood the love for Gone.

1) Amazing guitar sound by Edge.
2) Really good chorus - soaring vocals.  Cool hook like "Goodbye...you can keep this suit of lights...I'll be up with the sun...I'm not coming down."
3) Pretty darned infectious drum beat.

I feel like it straddles the line really well between big "beat you over the head" rock song like Vertigo and their much more nuanced work like Acrobat.  It's got a really dark feel.

Also, I think I gained a lot more appreciation of this song watching the live from Mexico City Popmart version.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2017, 09:53:08 AM »
I guess people really dig that 747 guitar sound that The Edge created... Sonically, it does sound amazing.

That's part of it.  I also think it's one of Bono's most pointed lyrics.  It's really a throw-down/challenge to his own audience.  "Are you STILL holding on?  I'm not coming down."  It's almost like Pop's "Acrobat" in that sense.  And the keyboard part was a nice nod to their early era, and New Years' Day.  Just a great combination of lyric, tone, and everything.

I love Mofo, too, but I can't help feeling like the best part of the song has nothing to do with U2.  The aggressive synth sequence thing is awesome, but I kind of have to wonder who really came up with that.  Left to the four of them, I think it would have been very different--the early mixes we've heard back that up.  I also think Bono's vocals on it are unfortunately kind of weak.  Good lyrics, just not a great performance.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2017, 11:22:24 AM »
I guess people really dig that 747 guitar sound that The Edge created... Sonically, it does sound amazing.

That's part of it.  I also think it's one of Bono's most pointed lyrics.  It's really a throw-down/challenge to his own audience.  "Are you STILL holding on?  I'm not coming down."  It's almost like Pop's "Acrobat" in that sense.  And the keyboard part was a nice nod to their early era, and New Years' Day.  Just a great combination of lyric, tone, and everything.

I love Mofo, too, but I can't help feeling like the best part of the song has nothing to do with U2.  The aggressive synth sequence thing is awesome, but I kind of have to wonder who really came up with that.  Left to the four of them, I think it would have been very different--the early mixes we've heard back that up.  I also think Bono's vocals on it are unfortunately kind of weak.  Good lyrics, just not a great performance.
I haven't heard any early mixes on any POP album track, or the demos from Tokyo I keep seeing referenced on this forum, so I can't make a comparison.

Offline CDarwin

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2017, 11:29:22 AM »
I'm going with MOFO.

Though lately I've been getting into DYFL which I never paid much attention to before. Great tune.

Then there's that really cool baseline in Miami.

Honorable mention goes to Please.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2017, 12:12:33 PM »

I haven't heard any early mixes on any POP album track, or the demos from Tokyo I keep seeing referenced on this forum, so I can't make a comparison.

I've admittedly not listened to a lot of it, but I know I've heard something of the early Mofo mix. 

YouTube is your friend:

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2017, 01:04:20 PM »

Aha, I thought I was the only person who wasn't so keen on that one - not that I dislike it, but it's never been among my favourites on the album. (I don't really care for that guitar sound, personally.)

The tracks I love most are the first five and the last three. My vote went to DYFL, but Mofo isn't far behind!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2017, 01:05:55 PM »
oh that video....i love Pop - it is my favourite u2 album but those mixes could have elevated it to greatest album of all time status for me.

That Mofo....the sound of i'm not your baby...the explosion of noise that accompanies 'The girl from S.I.N.' visual.....that DYFL piece.

Just stunning.

There is for me not a better 5 min clip of u2 anywhere ever.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 01:08:54 PM by an tha »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2017, 01:21:34 PM »
......REALLY?

I mean, I get the appeal of imagining "what could have been".  And this period was particularly fascinating for the band--the announcement of the album release turned out to be hilariously wrong, but the tour announcement was infamously accurate.  But there's nothing here that sounds better than what ended up on the album, imo.  Just some very rough ideas that would be fascinating to hear in their entirety, but nothing to make me think they should have been released, or were even the right direction.  To each their own, of course!

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Refugee
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Ladies and Gentlemen - POP....Your favourite
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2017, 02:36:15 PM »
I feel the same.
Of course I'd love to hear those 96 mixes, I'd probably be more excited about them than a new record, but judging from what we can hear on these clips, I think the final versions are much better overall.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2017, 02:36:47 PM »
......REALLY?

I mean, I get the appeal of imagining "what could have been".  And this period was particularly fascinating for the band--the announcement of the album release turned out to be hilariously wrong, but the tour announcement was infamously accurate.  But there's nothing here that sounds better than what ended up on the album, imo.  Just some very rough ideas that would be fascinating to hear in their entirety, but nothing to make me think they should have been released, or were even the right direction.  To each their own, of course!

REALLY.

It is a massive shame that these snippets didn't end up being the base of what the songs became.

I mean what i say - i am sure plenty will disagree...as you say each to their own.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2017, 02:50:16 PM »
The Mofo vid is unbelievable...exquisite. Almost as good as...well, I can't say.

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2017, 03:59:04 PM »
The Mofo vid is unbelievable...exquisite. Almost as good as...well, I can't say.

Was there an actual video made for Mofo or do you just mean the live footage from the Popmart Live In Mexico footage? Mofo is such an amazing track. I really do love Gone too. I think I must be in a minority in that I'm not keen on WUDM though.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2017, 01:24:26 AM »

I've admittedly not listened to a lot of it, but I know I've heard something of the early Mofo mix. 

YouTube is your friend:
Interesting.