Author Topic: POP - no words, just pictures!  (Read 2637 times)

Offline imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
Re: POP - no words, just pictures!
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2017, 09:18:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

To me, the one big mistake in staging the later Popmart shows was getting rid of the Pyramid Of Light (the beams were all aimed to converge on a point a mile above the stadium) before they filmed the DVD. I was simple, and simply incredible.

For those who didn't see one of the shows with it, it happened right as Adam's bassline kicked in on BTBS, if I remember right.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:54:09 PM by imaginary friend »

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2017, 12:50:58 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2017, 01:06:15 PM »

To me, the one big mistake in staging the later Popmart shows was getting rid of the Pyramid Of Light (the beams were all aimed to converge on a point a mile above the stadium) before they filmed the DVD. I was simple, and simply incredible.

For those who didn't see one of the shows with it, it happened right as Adam's bassline kicked on BTBS, if I remember right.

May need to translate but an interesting piece about the lights here...

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2017, 02:37:56 PM »

another good one

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2017, 07:21:55 PM »

For those who didn't see one of the shows with it, it happened right as Adam's bassline kicked in on BTBS, if I remember right.
I went to one of the early shows in Eugene, but don't remember that happening. That was so long ago.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »

For those who didn't see one of the shows with it, it happened right as Adam's bassline kicked on BTBS, if I remember right.

May need to translate but an interesting piece about the lights here...

Thanks to Google Translate...

The lyrics of U2's "Bullet The Blue Sky" describe an American fighter plane attack in the 1980s in El Salvador.
On the Popmart tour in 1997/1998, the band used an animation on the big screen bringing a fighter plane, and Willie Williams, the stage lighting director and U2 show designer, used something he called 'Cathedral Of Light' ( Cathedral Of Lights), spotlight beams where the bundles of lights were pointed to the sky every night, creating an incredible effect!

Willie drew the idea of ​​'Cathedral Of Lights', which was the term used to describe the lighting system used in the Nuremberg fashion shows. It consisted of 130 anti-air defense lights, which were positioned at 12-meter intervals, facing upwards. The 'Cathedral Of Lights' was filmed in the 1937 Festliches Nürnberg documentary.
It was conceived by Albert Speer at Hitler's request to organize and architect the Nuremberg parade areas for the annual celebrations. British ambassador Sir Neville Henderson, referred to it as "ice cathedral". It is considered one of Speer's greatest works, which he described as his most beautiful work.
The idea was not approved by Luftwaffe commander Hermann Göring, Because the number of anti-aircraft light used was a large part of Germany's strategic reserve. Even so, Hitler continued to use the idea until the last Nuremberg parade, suggesting it was a good piece of misinformation, "the other nations will think Germany has plenty of these lights, so give them up for the Speer project."

Interestingly, in 1997 on the Popmart tour, a U2 show took place in Nuremberg, on the same field where Hitler held his rallies.
When using 'Cathedral Of Light' during 'Bullet The Blue Sky', Willie recalled, "The original happened many times in this field. Thoughts run loose." Very heavy place. Apparently they do not know what to do with it, given its huge Historical importance. "

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2017, 09:40:45 PM »
huh. guess i never knew about that happening during the Popmart shows.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2017, 11:12:23 PM »

My niece is a recent convert to U2 and has been getting into them in a major way lately. I sent her the link to the Discotheque video recently and her response was "I feel like I've taken acid and I'm really disturbed by the video." I think I may have accidentally turned her off U2 altogether.  ;D

I, on the other hand, found the video to be hilariously awful.
My hope is that, with all these newer U2 fans that came from the No Line on the Horizon-era and the current Innocence + Experience era, many of them will discover PopMart via the YouTube videos and the official Mexico City video and find it to be pretty cool, even though it has kitsch. Hell, the majority of the countries that show travelled to loved it. Only USA didn't. Which doesn't look good on us Americans, I must say. Even Bono was/is proud of that show. If these newer fans seem to dig that show, mission accomplished for U2 (even if its too late).

I will say this: I didn't start liking U2 until probably 2005 when I was introduced to TJT and eventually this led to me getting into a lot of their 80s and 00s material (as well as some parts of AB). When I first saw the band live in 2009, I still hadn't heard AB in its entirety, much less Zooropa or Pop in its entirety. When I gave Pop a listen in 2011, for the most part I hated it. I also didn't like most of Zooropa ("Stay" always had a soft spot in my heart, though). I was a huge classic rock and modern rock fan at that point and both of these albums entirely broke the mold. It wasn't the U2 I knew and loved at that point.

What I found was that Zooropa and Pop were definitely an acquired taste. Eventually my musical tastes evolved and I gave both another chance sometime within the last few years. Fell in love with Zooropa first and Pop eventually won me over, too. If I had to rank my favorite U2 albums in order, it'd be AB, TJT, Zooropa, Pop. I don't see that ever changing, but who knows, maybe War will move a little higher on my list.

It's for this reason that, when I'm asked to recommend a U2 album to listen to, I never recommend Zooropa or Pop. It's always TJT and AB. If they end up liking these, I then recommend the rest of U2's 80s output along with the best parts of their 00s output. Zooropa and Pop are last. My niece has gotten into U2 in a major way over the last month or so. She still does not like Zooropa or Pop. Then again she's much like I was at that age (very closed off musically), so I suspect she'll eventually embrace these albums.

The Mexico City show was fantastic. I think it's one of the reasons why I started to like Pop. Seeing some of those songs live changed my perspective on them. Zoo TV made me a bigger fan of AB in much the same way.

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2017, 12:21:17 AM »

another good one
The website this poster image was taken from, only $98.00 US;

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2017, 02:26:54 AM »
U2's PopMart - stage construction in 3D

Part 3 is missing

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2017, 03:05:43 AM »

My niece is a recent convert to U2 and has been getting into them in a major way lately. I sent her the link to the Discotheque video recently and her response was "I feel like I've taken acid and I'm really disturbed by the video." I think I may have accidentally turned her off U2 altogether.  ;D

I, on the other hand, found the video to be hilariously awful.
My hope is that, with all these newer U2 fans that came from the No Line on the Horizon-era and the current Innocence + Experience era, many of them will discover PopMart via the YouTube videos and the official Mexico City video and find it to be pretty cool, even though it has kitsch. Hell, the majority of the countries that show travelled to loved it. Only USA didn't. Which doesn't look good on us Americans, I must say. Even Bono was/is proud of that show. If these newer fans seem to dig that show, mission accomplished for U2 (even if its too late).

I will say this: I didn't start liking U2 until probably 2005 when I was introduced to TJT and eventually this led to me getting into a lot of their 80s and 00s material (as well as some parts of AB). When I first saw the band live in 2009, I still hadn't heard AB in its entirety, much less Zooropa or Pop in its entirety. When I gave Pop a listen in 2011, for the most part I hated it. I also didn't like most of Zooropa ("Stay" always had a soft spot in my heart, though). I was a huge classic rock and modern rock fan at that point and both of these albums entirely broke the mold. It wasn't the U2 I knew and loved at that point.

What I found was that Zooropa and Pop were definitely an acquired taste. Eventually my musical tastes evolved and I gave both another chance sometime within the last few years. Fell in love with Zooropa first and Pop eventually won me over, too. If I had to rank my favorite U2 albums in order, it'd be AB, TJT, Zooropa, Pop. I don't see that ever changing, but who knows, maybe War will move a little higher on my list.

It's for this reason that, when I'm asked to recommend a U2 album to listen to, I never recommend Zooropa or Pop. It's always TJT and AB. If they end up liking these, I then recommend the rest of U2's 80s output along with the best parts of their 00s output. Zooropa and Pop are last. My niece has gotten into U2 in a major way over the last month or so. She still does not like Zooropa or Pop. Then again she's much like I was at that age (very closed off musically), so I suspect she'll eventually embrace these albums.

The Mexico City show was fantastic. I think it's one of the reasons why I started to like Pop. Seeing some of those songs live changed my perspective on them. Zoo TV made me a bigger fan of AB in much the same way.
"Very closed off, musically".... You know, I had a conversation w/ Tassoula on Twitter very recently about POP, after she revealed she would NEVER buy a Super Deluxe edition of POP if U2 decided to grace the fans with that material again... It was coming very close to turning into an argument due to my enthusiasm for that period of the band's existance, and I would never want to anger her.... I've become her fan and have a bit of a crush on her, I will admit LOL... However, I think that what you just said is the problem with MOST Americans... A lot of us ARE very closed off musically (unlike the members of U2) and aren't willing to accept or even embrace new sounds and colors, or even big ideas... whereas you have all the other countries PopMart travelled to: Because of all those people, that tour was a huge success in those territories, they understood and accepted the material immediately, and if you combine all the money that PopMart made in America with the money it made everywhere else around the world, PopMart became the 2nd highest grossing tour of 1997. Not bad for something that is considered one of U2's low points. Perhaps all those other countries are more open-minded musically? It seems that way to me. Today, we see all this praise for the album and tour from people even amidst the harsh criticism that still dogs the band today. It seems that PopMart was very ahead of its time, and that Americans are pretty dumb when it comes to music and art. If something doesn't connect with them within the first experience, "it sucks". They don't care to think for themselves, or outside the box, or give anything time to grow on them, they just want everything spelled out for them. And I can say that, knowing I AM an American LOL

"Look, sometimes our audience isn’t as groovy as we’d like. Our song 'Get On Your Boots' is a sort of crossover half-club, half-indie rock record. But people aren’t sure about the club half.

“They want 'Vertigo', and And when we did this the last time — with 'Discothèque,' from POP, they didn't like it then, either.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:50:59 AM by PopMart_1997 »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2017, 12:04:44 PM »

another good one
The website this poster image was taken from, only $98.00 US;

omg yes thanks!!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2017, 12:13:00 PM »
haha i have this and it sure was NOT $60 when i got it!

but THIS is the Popmart/Oasis one i remember almost buying!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2017, 12:57:27 PM »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2017, 01:35:30 PM »
huh. guess i never knew about that happening during the Popmart shows.

I thought I remember this effect being an issue for air traffic.  I saw it at my first PopMart show, and it was awesome.  The second time I saw it was indoors.  I don't know if they omitted it for it being indoors, or if there was another reason they didn't (or couldn't) do it.  It doesn't happen in the Mexico City show, IIRC, and that was outdoors.