Author Topic: POP - no words, just pictures!  (Read 2872 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: POP - no words, just pictures!
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2017, 04:48:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
huh. guess i never knew about that happening during the Popmart shows.

I thought I remember this effect being an issue for air traffic.  I saw it at my first PopMart show, and it was awesome.  The second time I saw it was indoors.  I don't know if they omitted it for it being indoors, or if there was another reason they didn't (or couldn't) do it.  It doesn't happen in the Mexico City show, IIRC, and that was outdoors.

yea i guess that's why i never knew about it. i mean i've seen some other popmart video shows but don't remember noticing it.

also, where on earth did you see it indoors?? i thought it was all stadiums? as in, outdoors only?

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2017, 07:13:08 PM »

I thought I remember this effect being an issue for air traffic.  I saw it at my first PopMart show, and it was awesome.  The second time I saw it was indoors.  I don't know if they omitted it for it being indoors, or if there was another reason they didn't (or couldn't) do it.  It doesn't happen in the Mexico City show, IIRC, and that was outdoors.

yea i guess that's why i never knew about it. i mean i've seen some other popmart video shows but don't remember noticing it.

also, where on earth did you see it indoors?? i thought it was all stadiums? as in, outdoors only?

Pontiac Silverdome, in Michigan. Big domed stadium. Definitely changed the look of things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2017, 09:50:37 PM »

Pontiac Silverdome, in Michigan. Big domed stadium. Definitely changed the look of things.

This is interesting to me because it seems like it would have been a huge pain to change the setup to fit in a dome. I would have figured that they'd choose one of the college stadiums (specifically Spartan Stadium, which they played in 2011...Michigan Stadium is WAY too big) but maybe those were too big. Tiger Stadium was obviously too small, so I guess the Silverdome (RIP) was the best choice for playing a Michigan arena/stadium.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2017, 09:55:45 PM »

This is interesting to me because it seems like it would have been a huge pain to change the setup to fit in a dome. I would have figured that they'd choose one of the college stadiums (specifically Spartan Stadium, which they played in 2011...Michigan Stadium is WAY too big) but maybe those were too big. Tiger Stadium was obviously too small, so I guess the Silverdome (RIP) was the best choice for playing a Michigan arena/stadium.
I don't get the impression much, if anything, changed. That one light effect is the only difference I can remember, staging-wise, and it may have been dropped entirely already. It not appearing on the Mexico City show, which was outdoors, makes me think that might be the case. Otherwise, I think the Silverdome was in line with other venues on the tour, but maybe I'm wrong.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2017, 10:04:45 PM »
yea i guess its jsut cuz i never saw the actual tour so i envision it being way bigger than it prob was. i guess AT&T stadium in arlington texas is covered too. and they got that claw in there

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2017, 07:05:16 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2017, 09:11:16 AM »
yea i guess its jsut cuz i never saw the actual tour so i envision it being way bigger than it prob was. i guess AT&T stadium in arlington texas is covered too. and they got that claw in there

Yep.  It's not like they're helicoptering in the whole thing in one piece.  Those stages are brought in a bunch of trucks, through loading docks, and onto the field where they're assembled, every time.  As big as they are, those pro-football stadiums (and even college ones--I saw it first in Ohio State's "Horseshoe") have a LOT of space to allow for those sets.  And I'm sure, for the most part, those sets are designed to fit in the space they have.  The domes are practically irrelevant, except when it comes to a lighting effect like they did with BTBS, where you suddenly don't have the airspace above to use.

I do remember the night before the PopMart show in Columbus, taking a drive by the stadium just to see what could be seen.  The top of the arch just peaked over the height of the stands.  I contemplated breaking into the stadium just to see if I could see the stage up close, but never bothered.  Didn't want to be arrested and miss the show.

I also remember thinking Zoo TV Outside Broadcast looked bigger.  But then, I had 2nd row for that, so it was pretty overwhelming.

Offline Waiting for this moment

• Wanderer
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2017, 10:23:57 AM »
No words....just pictures!

Offline zedg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • *POP*
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2017, 03:25:41 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2017, 10:06:14 AM »
I know that the PopMart shows in Tacoma, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, New Orleans and Perth were also in indoor stadiums (I think that Perth was technically an arena!)

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2017, 07:59:40 PM »

My niece is a recent convert to U2 and has been getting into them in a major way lately. I sent her the link to the Discotheque video recently and her response was "I feel like I've taken acid and I'm really disturbed by the video." I think I may have accidentally turned her off U2 altogether.  ;D

I, on the other hand, found the video to be hilariously awful.
My hope is that, with all these newer U2 fans that came from the No Line on the Horizon-era and the current Innocence + Experience era, many of them will discover PopMart via the YouTube videos and the official Mexico City video and find it to be pretty cool, even though it has kitsch. Hell, the majority of the countries that show travelled to loved it. Only USA didn't. Which doesn't look good on us Americans, I must say. Even Bono was/is proud of that show. If these newer fans seem to dig that show, mission accomplished for U2 (even if its too late).

"Look, sometimes our audience isn’t as groovy as we’d like. Our song 'Get On Your Boots' is a sort of crossover half-club, half-indie rock record. But people aren’t sure about the club half.

“They want 'Vertigo', and And when we did this the last time — with 'Discothèque,' from POP, they didn't like it then, either.
I'd pay to see them perform nothing but "Discotheque" if it meant I wouldn't have to suffer through "Vertigo" or "Boots" ever again...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 03:19:03 AM by Kmama07 »

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2017, 02:38:34 AM »

I hope whoever decided to start PopMart during daylight was fired, that show and it's brilliance doesn't work so well without darkness.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • take the long way home
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2017, 01:36:08 PM »
^ kinda hard to fight Mother Nature at high-latitude gigs, tho. Sun sets awfully late in some parts of the world in the summertime.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2017, 02:30:41 PM »
^I always did wonder about that, particularly after looking at Dublin 360 clips. I figured there was a scientific reason.

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2017, 08:57:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login