Author Topic: Reselling GA tickets  (Read 1018 times)

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
Reselling GA tickets
« on: March 05, 2017, 06:25:47 AM »
In looking around second-hand ticketing websites like Stubhub, VividSeats, and TicketLiquidator dot coms, I see plenty of GA tickets for sale. As those sections are all, to my knowledge, credit card entry only, how in the world are people reselling them?

I ask in part, as I am thinking of buying one for the second night in Chicago before it sells out, and, thus, before ticket prices go up (such as they have in, say, Cleveland).

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Reselling GA tickets
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 10:06:34 AM »
Pushing 100 views and no comments. Wow.

Maybe my question wasn't clear, and y'all think that it was answered in the other "credit card entry" threads; in the ones that I perused, I didn't see an answer.

To clarify, my question is if these GA ticket sales on websites like Stubhub and Vividseats are legit, and can be trusted; and, if so, how one would actually enter the stadium if they were to purchase one of these tickets?

Offline dougie

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:16:25 AM »
I was hanging out in the bar for the first show in Vancouver before the show in 2014. A guy bought a credit card entry ticket. The agency selling the second hand ticket had sent him a card ( appeared to be a credit card, but just id's the ticket). Worked well for many.

Now, when I was in Scotland in 2014, they wanted your ID with the credit card. So, I do not know the real answer. I went to many shows in 2014 and venues/cities/countries can have different procedures.

So, it appears to be an easy question, but there may be no definitive answer. Sorry.

Offline coldrain85

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 08:56:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Pushing 100 views and no comments. Wow.

Maybe my question wasn't clear, and y'all think that it was answered in the other "credit card entry" threads; in the ones that I perused, I didn't see an answer.

To clarify, my question is if these GA ticket sales on websites like Stubhub and Vividseats are legit, and can be trusted; and, if so, how one would actually enter the stadium if they were to purchase one of these tickets?

Perhaps the lack of responses is because this topic has already been discussed in other threads.

Scalpers have found a way around paperless tickets. The scam is to use a prepaid debit card to purchase the tickets when they go on sale. If you buy a ticket from Stubhub etc. you get the prepaid debit card in the mail (hence the reason why the GA tickets are all UPS delivery). All you need to enter the venue is the prepaid debit card.  The ticket checker will swipe it in a handheld machine and it will spit out paper receipts that look similar to a traditional hard ticket. You do not need to have ID along with the debit card.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 11:09:30 AM »
I hadn't seen any comments about the prepaid debit cards. Hopefully they won't be strict about asking for ID!

Also, a few years ago, I tried to use a prepaid debit card that my father had given me to buy a ticket to see Jack White. The card was rejected, and the show soldout over the weekend. I found out that it was soldout, as I went by the box office that Monday morning (tix went on sale the previous Friday), and the card was accepted, in person, for purchases to see both Flogging Molly and The Lone Bellow. When I asked about Jack White, they then informed that it was soldout. Naturally, I was pi**ed, as I'd have acquired a ticket had their website accepted my prepaid debit card! In short, I was left to buy a ticket at 100% above face value on a second-hand website).

I'm debating trying a GA purchase for Cleveland, but will keep an eye on the prices, to see how much they fluctuate, before making up my mind.

Offline coldrain85

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 04:16:45 PM »
I hadn't seen any comments about the prepaid debit cards. Hopefully they won't be strict about asking for ID!

They don't ask for ID, at least not at shows in the US. I had GA tickets at the LA Forum shows on the previous tour and all they do is swipe the card. If they checked ID's it would take FOREVER to get inside.

The only people who will need to bring ID are those who are picking up tickets at will call. 

Offline fez333

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 07:40:42 PM »
So, I want to buy a ticket from StubHub.  Is that a safe method to buy a ticket ?

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • I wandered out in the world for years
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 07:50:34 PM »
So, I want to buy a ticket from StubHub.  Is that a safe method to buy a ticket ?

I've used stubhub about 7 times. Never had an issue. Though, GA might be different. Don't worry about seated tickets.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 09:37:58 PM »

I've used stubhub about 7 times. Never had an issue. Though, GA might be different. Don't worry about seated tickets.

I've used Stubhub countless times for concerts; they're legit. The same goes for similar sites (i.e., Vividseats, TicketLiquidator). I'm also only "concerned" about GA tickets. Sure, they can mail me a prepaid card which they used for the purchase....... but, that begs the question: what if they purchased, say, 50 GA tickets under that same prepaid card. Let's say the 50 are all bought, but in pairs, thus 25 individual purchases. With that said, am I to believe that they'd somehow have 25 copies of this one prepaid card, and that it would work seamlessly with the credit card scanners at the various stadiums employing thus method of entry?

This is why I have refused to buy GA tickets from them for this tour.

As a random aside, I will be in the GA for Pittsburgh, and then seated at the second Chicago show (thanks to Vividseats, managing to score a $40 for something like $55, which I'm A-ok paying.

As I expect Chicago 2 to be different, even if only by a few songs, than Chicago 1; and, Pittsburgh's one show to he nearly identical to Chicago 1 (as well as each of the cities with solo shows, as well as the opening night in cities with two shows), I'm excited for my two shows! Depending on how secondary-market prices pan out, I may also go to East Rutherford (I can take a Megabus to NYC for as cheap as $10), or Cleveland (2 hours away by car, and 3 hours and as cheap as $30 away by train).

Offline fez333

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 06:17:23 AM »

I've used Stubhub countless times for concerts; they're legit. The same goes for similar sites (i.e., Vividseats, TicketLiquidator). I'm also only "concerned" about GA tickets. Sure, they can mail me a prepaid card which they used for the purchase....... but, that begs the question: what if they purchased, say, 50 GA tickets under that same prepaid card. Let's say the 50 are all bought, but in pairs, thus 25 individual purchases. With that said, am I to believe that they'd somehow have 25 copies of this one prepaid card, and that it would work seamlessly with the credit card scanners at the various stadiums employing thus method of entry?

As a random aside, I will be in the GA for Pittsburgh, and then seated at the second Chicago show (thanks to Vividseats, managing to score a $40 for something like $55, which I'm A-ok paying.

As I expect Chicago 2 to be different, even if only by a few songs, than Chicago 1; and, Pittsburgh's one show to he nearly identical to Chicago 1 (as well as each of the cities with solo shows, as well as the opening night in cities with two shows), I'm excited for my two shows! Depending on how secondary-market prices pan out, I may also go to East Rutherford (I can take a Megabus to NYC for as cheap as $10), or Cleveland (2 hours away by car, and 3 hours and as cheap as $30 away by train).
I live in Toronto, and the Pittsburgh Show is cheaper than here. Thinking I might go and see U2 in Pittsburgh

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 06:55:44 AM »

I live in Toronto, and the Pittsburgh Show is cheaper than here. Thinking I might go and see U2 in Pittsburgh
Their 360 show here back on 2011 was stellar! The last I checked, there are still GA tickets available for this next one!

Also, I saw the second Toronto show on the I&E tour. It was fantastic, as I randomly bought my ticket the night before (on either StubHub or Vividseats) after a few beers at a neighborhood bar, and after seeing the setlist for the first Toronto show! Crazy thing is, I met this Irish guy who then convinced me to go to NYC, saying, "I don't know you that well, but I can tell that you have the best luck in the world; so, I'm confident that you'll find a ticket!" Long story short, I took the bus to NYC, met Bono within 20 minutes of arriving in Manhattan, and was gifted with free tickets from a Brazilian girl on Facebook who, at the last minute, was unable to make it to NYC. To top it off, after the band started their Europe tour, the aforementioned Irish guy called me (from South Korea, where he works), giving me his fanclub promocode, thus allowing me to score tickets to both Belfast shows, as well as for the opening night in Dublin! I ended up turning it into a monthlong vacation, staying in Ireland for 10 days; splitting 10 days between Prague, Bratislava, and Budapest; and, ending in Istanbul for 10 days.

All thanks to my drunkenly buying that Toronto U2 ticket the night before.

Offline coldrain85

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 04:49:35 PM »

You could say the same thing about selling 25 copies of an electronic ticket and then burning 24 of the 25 people because the bar code has already been scanned. The last thing these scalpers want is to be banned from Stubhub. It's their bread and butter. If they pull some **** like this they will be banned and their credit card will be charged whatever it takes for YOU to get a comparable ticket and get in the show. If their credit card on file is bogus or has expired, Stubhub will eat it and make sure that you get a ticket regardless. They will write of the loss as the cost of doing business because their reputation is everything.

You don't need to worry about being ripped off if you buy a GA ticket through Stubhub.

There is also a "do not let this person sell through your site" list that is shared among all of the major ticket resellers. If someone pulls a scam on Stubhub, for example, they will let the other resellers know about it.

Offline fez333

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 06:17:11 AM »
I can get a nose bleed seat for the Toronto show for about $185 US.  I know it's a lot and probably a rip off but it's my favourite band in the world and I don't mind.  Although, Pitttsburgh is much cheaper and only a 5 hour drive. 

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 08:15:19 AM »
I can get a nose bleed seat for the Toronto show for about $185 US.  I know it's a lot and probably a rip off but it's my favourite band in the world and I don't mind.  Although, Pitttsburgh is much cheaper and only a 5 hour drive. 
GA's are still available for Pittsburgh, as are $35 nosebleeds.

Offline fez333

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 09:29:35 AM »
GA's are still available for Pittsburgh, as are $35 nosebleeds.
I saw that.  Just need to confirm with the wife that we are going.  I am probably going to do both shows, just need Wifey's permission hahah.