Author Topic: Will JTTour17 give U2 a chance to retire those songs for SOE tour?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
How many, if any, JT songs will continue to be played in 2018 as part of a SOE tour?  It really gives them the opportunity to retire those songs for new songs or deeper tracks.  My guess is that With or Without You and Still Haven't Found won't be played in 2018.  I'm not sure about BTBS, and I suppose Streets will continue to be played....but I wouldn't mind if they found a new climax to their shows. 

Online riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
Re: Will JTTour17 give U2 a chance to retire those songs for SOE tour?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 01:37:39 PM »
I hope they keep Streets in the lineup forever, with the long intro and outro.
It'd be nice to hear RHMT, One Tree Hill and Exit during the SOE tour. And, of course if they squeeze in Hawkmoon, it wouldn't break my heart.

Offline U2_One

• Refugee
  • You Miss Too Much These Days If You Stop To Think
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 01:55:16 PM »
Could depend on how long of a tour SOE would be. They (WOWY, ISHFWILF, possibly BTBS) might not be played at every SOE show, but I don't think they'll miss the tour entirely. 

Offline Ultrafly

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 02:04:51 PM »
Streets and WOWY will be in the setlists forever. ISHFWILF, BTBS, will be regular appearances.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 05:11:39 PM »
Rehearsals must be difficult....a collection of songs played 1000's of times and others played sparingly if at all.  What if they were also marketing the show as "Last time played live."  Can you imagine the energy of Streets on the last stop of the tour?

If I saw this tour, I don't think I would be upset with no JT in 2018.  As many point out, most of the audience could be first-timers to a U2 show. 

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 05:46:12 PM »
They'll certainly keep the first 3 tracks (standards and expected by any casual fan attending) and may keep BTBS for its political element. Can't see them doing any of the other songs live, which is part of what makes this tour so special. Especially for those who weren't alive for or old enough to attend the original TJT tour.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 05:55:43 PM »
No.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 01:08:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No.

That doesn't really add anything to the conversation.  I really believe we won't hear more than 2 songs in any given show from JT since it will (hopefully) be less than a year since touring the record. Streets has officially been played 844 times + all the times they rehearsed the song.  I'm not a performer but I would imagine it's hard to keep bringing the energy to some of these older, often-played songs.  Streets hasn't had the same energy for a few tours now, from my experiences.  It has taken on a life of its own as the U2 anthem but I'd be curious to what other songs could serve its purpose.  My first thought would be Bad.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 01:19:46 PM »
Nah. we all thought the multiple-nights in each city for i+e would give us diff. sets night to night and maybe 2 songs got swapped out.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 03:42:21 PM »
Nah. we all thought the multiple-nights in each city for i+e would give us diff. sets night to night and maybe 2 songs got swapped out.

That's a good point. Even in NYC with 7 shows much of the set list was the same. But that was a pretty scripted show with the technology and story line so once it was set, it was set.  Maybe they will swap out JT songs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 05:38:34 PM »
Streets is a given at every show for the rest of their career, I think they should rotate the rest. Even WOWY should be rotated I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 05:57:46 PM »
No.

That doesn't really add anything to the conversation.  I really believe we won't hear more than 2 songs in any given show from JT since it will (hopefully) be less than a year since touring the record. Streets has officially been played 844 times + all the times they rehearsed the song.  I'm not a performer but I would imagine it's hard to keep bringing the energy to some of these older, often-played songs.  Streets hasn't had the same energy for a few tours now, from my experiences.  It has taken on a life of its own as the U2 anthem but I'd be curious to what other songs could serve its purpose.  My first thought would be Bad.

True.  I will add more to the conversation.  U2 will keep playing Streets and probably With or Without You or ISHFWILF for every concert for the rest of their careers with frequent Bullet the Blue Sky too.

This is because they believe most of their audience have never seen them before or only has once before and they believe their audience wants to hear the hits.

Support for my reasoning comes from a recent quote quote from the Edge:

"We are also aware that the great majority of the people only have seen us that once, or a couple of times before. There's a very long list of classic songs that they want to hear...I don't think we're going to put a huge emphasis on obscure and little-heard U2 songs."

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 08:09:29 PM by andrewau2 »

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 07:24:50 PM »
How many, if any, JT songs will continue to be played in 2018 as part of a SOE tour?  It really gives them the opportunity to retire those songs for new songs or deeper tracks.  My guess is that With or Without You and Still Haven't Found won't be played in 2018.  I'm not sure about BTBS, and I suppose Streets will continue to be played....but I wouldn't mind if they found a new climax to their shows.

The first 4 songs of TJT will always appear in a U2 setlist. It's their safety net; they are all risk aversive.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 06:44:25 PM »
I'm hoping after that tour, Streets and Pride get retired. Those songs have long outstayed their welcome and is partly the reason why the set list is stale each time the band goes on tour. New songs, recent songs, b-sides, deep cuts all need to find their way into the set list each night. U2 are for the most part like New Order, always playing the same songs each show, each tour.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 07:42:26 PM »
Pride has GOT.TO.GO!!!! ISHF does as well but i can handle that one a lil better.