Author Topic: Will JTTour17 give U2 a chance to retire those songs for SOE tour?  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Will JTTour17 give U2 a chance to retire those songs for SOE tour?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 03:37:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It will seem strange that this tour they won't be playing more than one track from SOI but realistically how many SOI tracks can we expect them to bring back for the SOE leg of the I+E tour?
Maybe EBW and or Iris. No more than two. Hopefully not The Miracle.

Offline Ultrafly

• Wanderer
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 03:39:44 PM »
They really should play 2-3 tracks from SOI on this tour : when they dropped Pop tracks in 2000 onwards they're effectively saying "That album is rubbish, and we don't like it" - besides which many I+E shows sold out quite quickly, there's many people coming to TJT30 that skipped I+E tour - so, for example, Raised By Wolves + Song For Someone + EBW would fit well into a TJT30+hits type set.

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 03:40:33 PM »
It will seem strange that this tour they won't be playing more than one track from SOI but realistically how many SOI tracks can we expect them to bring back for the SOE leg of the I+E tour?

Yeah I'm in the same boat, don't want to hear the miracle again, or even Every Breaking Wave, unless they do a full band version this time around, the acoustic version could be done away with but sadly I think it'll stay.

I'd like to hear Iris and maybe Volcano on the next legs, it'll give them a chance to perform the tracks they missed out live in 2015. Even California

Offline Ultrafly

• Wanderer
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2017, 03:51:40 PM »
I'm started to get tempted to swear.

U2 have done plenty of good stuff post 1998. Whist TJT30 is the first obvious retrospective tour they have ever done, U2 should never pretend that any part of their career or body of work doesn't exist. I might be the only person who doesn't want to live in the past, and I'm fascinated with seeing where U2 go now with and it will be very demeaning if they just become a global touring jukebox of 30 year old songs to please people who want to pretend that it's still 1987. Leave that to The Rolling Stones.

It is annoying when a band you love ignores certain periods of their history, even when it makes logical and popular sense. And they are always chasing a moving target. If you asked everyone here to create a dream 22-song setlist, no holds barred, I feel pretty confident that the odds of any two being alike would be remote. Even if you set up certain parameters, like only two songs from each album or something like that. One person's Beautiful Day -- a song that I never get tired of -- is another person's Elevation, a song that I think should never have been played again after the tour of the same name. I am sure there are people here who feel the exact opposite about just those two songs.

I can't imagine seeing U2 and not getting Streets, but we know at least one person here is good and sick of it. One man's coffee is another man's tea ...

I've been critical of the folks who don't understand why U2 won't revisit Pop, but I get it from both perspectives. I'm on the other side of that argument in the Springsteen camp. I adore Tunnel Of Love. Love it. Love every single note on that album, and Bruce rarely plays anything from it, and when he does, it is almost always either Brilliant Disguise or Tougher Than The Rest. I've seen him 10 times, and I have gotten Tougher once, and no others. Why? Well, TOL's sales were a massive fall off from BITUSA, a lot of the songs are mid-tempo and would send half the audience to the beer line, and worst of all, this album came from a terrible time in Bruce's life when his marriage was failing. Just like U2 aren't eager to look back at Pop and all the of the crap that surrounded it, Bruce probably doesn't enjoy performing those deeply personal and deeply self-effacing songs.

So I understand. But I still want to hear them.

There'll always be someone who wants to hear 20 b-sides, then an encore of Lemon + Love Is Blindness!

I hear you loud and clear on the TOL era. That's probably Bruce at his most interesting to me..

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2017, 06:58:25 PM »
I agree with you on Iris, but I say Cedarwood Road needs to stay in the set, along with Invisible.

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2017, 07:23:29 PM »
U2 should never pretend that any part of their career or body of work doesn't exist.

The first leg of the 360 Tour featured two (2) songs from the entire decade of the '90s, and opening night of I&E had three (3).

U2 already pretend that a part of their body of work doesn't exist. The best part.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2017, 07:48:32 PM »
i was thinking about this when i was listening to an i+e yesterday. i want EBW, Iris and Cedarwood in the set, i want to see at least 1 of those. i'm really thinking they're gonna NLOTH the SOI song though. which is so weird to me since even Pop songs got played on the Elevation tour. sure they were changed up but they were still POP SONGS! on the Elevation "omg we have to start being radio friendly mor adult contemporary pop rock guys!" tour.

Offline monopoly

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2017, 10:50:14 PM »
I don't think we'll see more than 2 SOI on JT 17. If they do bother to play any SOI, it'll be SFS and the miracle. Why? Iris, cedar , and RBW are too story specific. Every breaking wave doesn't fit in the show if they do the JT in sequence. I wouldn't expect them to do a slow piano song in the first 8 songs of the set list... miracle is a contender for the opener, and SFS had the most radio play so those seem the most realistic to me.

To answer this thread... no.  Bullet will occasionally return and the first three tracks will always be regulars.

Offline Ultrafly

• Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2017, 05:56:59 AM »
I've always advocated they should play the following order as the centrepiece of the tour.

Raised By Wolves
Sunday
Please
Streets>MOTD