Author Topic: Is the Joshua Tree really a Masterpiece?  (Read 2535 times)

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
Re: Is the Joshua Tree really a Masterpiece?
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2017, 02:37:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's the album that all future U2 albums are judged against so even for that reason alone it must be special.
What would that say about The Unforgettable Fire prior to the release of The Joshua Tree?
I thought War was the breakthrough album for them, thanks in part to MTV?

That it shaped them for the breakthrough that was TJT

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2017, 02:49:43 PM »
It's the album that all future U2 albums are judged against so even for that reason alone it must be special.
What would that say about The Unforgettable Fire prior to the release of The Joshua Tree?
I thought War was the breakthrough album for them, thanks in part to MTV?

That it shaped them for the breakthrough that was TJT

I never said it wasn't. TJT was a breakthrough and game changer though.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2017, 03:09:24 PM »
Might be a minority view but i consider TUF to be superior to TJT

Online riffraff

• Acrobat
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2017, 03:13:18 PM »
Ya know, I have to admit, I listen to TUF a LOT more than I do to TJT. TUF has a lot more depth to it, and more songs that I can work out to. But, I still have such a big soft spot in my heart for TJT. It gave me Streets...and to me, that's major.

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2017, 03:23:43 PM »

I actually prefer it to TUF, which I feel is a little disjointed. Some great ideas, but somethings just not quite right with it. However, it produced Bad and Wire, so its great  ;)

I rank Boy, War, Achtung Baby, Pop and Zooropa higher than The Joshua Tree.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2017, 03:25:40 PM »
Could be a good thread (although been done before i would imagine) TJT v TUF....

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2017, 06:19:24 PM »
The case for the album to be classed as a masterpiece can never deliver the definitive answer that is going to align with everyone's opinion and that's what makes discussions like this so cool.

Opinion is key to how you see the album, but looking back at it thirty years after the event seems to have removed the clarity of how the songs stood up against what had gone before and those which were of the time.

It seems that its difficult for some people to differentiate between being over familiar with songs and actually thinking that they are average. (Streets, along with Pride probably suffer from this more than any other songs). It's long been the case that the unreleased U2 song is always seen as better than the released version when, in fact, it's just different and hasn't been listened to death. Even Mofo, a song that is seen as being the best on the excellent Pop, has suffered from this in recent times and the alternative has never been heard in full!!

The Joshua Tree also suffers from the same problems as the band in general do:  it is deemed cool to vocalise dislike for the sole reason of elevating their own "eclectic" and "more interesting than yours" preference.

The lack of metrics makes it difficult for anyone to be wrong or right. So we're only left with opinions. My own is that TJT is a masterpiece. My reasoning is this.  U2 at their very best can be considered as good as any other band that has existed. They are more than capable of producing a masterpiece when performing at the top of their game. The Joshua Tree is U2 performing at the top of their game.
As good as TUF was, TJT is at another level, one that very few bands have ever reached. It was the soundtrack of 1987 the world over and has been held as the inspiration for other bands and musicians to exist. The quality of the best tracks is unquestionable, lesser ones more so. As a whole, the album is cohesive, inventive, thought provoking and paints scenery in a way no album should be able to. All qualities we would wish for the next album to possess.
It is so good, that U2 themselves were only able to better it once (AB) in terms of those qualities.
Although I prefer the high points of Pop and Passengers, I can't deny that those records would have been improved if the consistency matched TJT.
So, if there is such a thing as a masterpiece, then why shouldn't one of the best band's that ever existed be allowed to have one of their very best albums put in that bracket.

Yeah we can make a case for at least one other U2 album to be considered as a masterpiece, but that shouldn't take away the brilliance of this offering. As the saying goes, lighting other candles doesn't take the shine away from your own.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:05:06 PM by Blueyedboy »

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2017, 07:33:26 AM »
I think the popularity and quality of the first 3 songs causes an imbalance in terms of thinking of it as a consistently good album from start to finish. Yes it is, but Streets, STHFWLF and WOWY are so prominent that its hard to judge the album in comparison. (not for me. I still think its a masterpiece regardless)

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2017, 07:50:02 AM »
The Joshua Tree is one of the most unique rock albums I've ever known. Really, the atmospheric quality of TUF apllied to the scenary of american folk music is enough to make TJT a masterpiece.

I think the greatest accomplishment of the album is the ability to make you visualize immense pictures of landscapes.

Online riffraff

• Acrobat
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2017, 08:07:32 AM »
The Joshua Tree is one of the most unique rock albums I've ever known. Really, the atmospheric quality of TUF apllied to the scenary of american folk music is enough to make TJT a masterpiece.

I think the greatest accomplishment of the album is the ability to make you visualize immense pictures of landscapes.
Unique is an excellent word for it...there was nothing else, at the time, that could compare.
The sounds were soooo different. Lovely.

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Global Moderator
  • Running to Stand Still
  • Deserve's got nothin' to do with it
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2017, 01:46:16 AM »
I'm not saying people are being agressive or rude here, because they are not, but there's a lot of groundless intransigence...

Did you actually just use the word 'Intransigence ?' That's awesome.

Intransigence is all aroun

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2017, 05:02:47 AM »
I do too. TUF is less consistent but to me the highs are higher.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2017, 05:05:24 AM »
I also think the brilliance of Streets live colours the judgment of streets on the album. The recorded version is great, it's a great song no doubt, but live its something else.

On the flip side I think With or Without You is better on record.

Online riffraff

• Acrobat
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2017, 05:20:10 AM »
I also think the brilliance of Streets live colours the judgment of streets on the album. The recorded version is great, it's a great song no doubt, but live its something else.

On the flip side I think With or Without You is better on record.
Agree strongly on both points. I'm one of those who would want Streets to be included in the live shows forever, but would rather they skip WOWY live.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2017, 05:52:27 AM »
I'm not saying people are being agressive or rude here, because they are not, but there's a lot of groundless intransigence...

Did you actually just use the word 'Intransigence ?' That's awesome.

Intransigence is all around.
Military still in town.