Author Topic: So what will happen tomorrow, March 9?  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Canadanne

• Numb
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
Re: So what will happen tomorrow, March 9?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 05:56:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I liked Bono's answer about 'Streets'. I had heard the Africa answer, but never the Ireland answer. Makes perfect sense.

That's the answer he gave in a radio interview I transcribed in November 2000, when someone asked what place the song was talking about:

"I'm not sure, really, about that. I used to think it was Belfast, you know, 'cos in Belfast you can tell somebody's religion, you know, from what street they live on. You just have to say where you're born and everybody knows if you're a Catholic or a Protestant and... I think that might have been where Where The Streets Have No Name started from as an idea."

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 08:43:56 PM »
I liked Bono's answer about 'Streets'. I had heard the Africa answer, but never the Ireland answer. Makes perfect sense.

That's the answer he gave in a radio interview I transcribed in November 2000, when someone asked what place the song was talking about:

"I'm not sure, really, about that. I used to think it was Belfast, you know, 'cos in Belfast you can tell somebody's religion, you know, from what street they live on. You just have to say where you're born and everybody knows if you're a Catholic or a Protestant and... I think that might have been where Where The Streets Have No Name started from as an idea."

I was just about to mention this (I think I recently read it on another fansite). When he said that today I was like "yeah, I remember hearing that somewhere already....nothing new about this explanation."

I think that video was pre recorded ... didn't feel very live and the questions appeared to be pre selected ... it was the most organised 'live' video I've seen ... like why were they all those camera angles?

Did anyone else notice that they were in Electric Ladyland studios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was advertised as being from that studio. The questions were obviously pre-selected. I think it was live, but as you said, kind of rehearsed.

'The trick is to make it LOOK spontaneous.'
Bono, speaking of ZooTV

For a recorded, rehearsed video, the whole thing came across as being sloppy. They didn't start on time, the audio was choppy, the camera angles were awkward at times, just not a smooth experience.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 08:57:14 PM »
Larry gave short and abrupt answers to questions and there was a moat between him and the rest of the band.  Edge delicately trying to involve him in the conversation but his body language suggested he wanted nothing to do with it!

That's exactly what I saw. I saw 'I don't want to do this,  I told you I didn't want to do this, and you can't make me enjoy it.' The air horn sound effect was pretty funny.

If the level of "work" he has had done to his face would allow, I'm sure we would see a furrowed brow.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2017, 04:39:45 AM »
Larry gave short and abrupt answers to questions and there was a moat between him and the rest of the band.  Edge delicately trying to involve him in the conversation but his body language suggested he wanted nothing to do with it!

That's exactly what I saw. I saw 'I don't want to do this,  I told you I didn't want to do this, and you can't make me enjoy it.' The air horn sound effect was pretty funny.

If the level of "work" he has had done to his face would allow, I'm sure we would see a furrowed brow.
oh, meow

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2017, 06:29:53 AM »
When I joined early with  "stay tuned" still on the screen the mic was picking up on the conversations to set up. I thought it was intentional. Then someone said something like "Chris Martin is number 10." I commented on the feed...Chris Martin?  Soon after, the sound went way down. They were discussing the order of questions, who and how U2 were to be mic'd.  Stuff that should have been sorted out prior, not 5 minutes after the scheduled start time.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2017, 06:42:30 AM »
Lame interview, and strange dynamics with Larry. But hey, just hearing Bono actually acknowledge the greatness of "Walk to the water" and "Luminous times" was worth it.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2017, 07:40:48 PM »

Has the "Larry gets botox or plastic surgery" thing ever been proven? Just curious since it seems to be a recurring mention on these forums. Is it a rumor that started because he still looks young for his age? If so, it's entirely possible that his face is all natural--I'm nearly 30 and still constantly get mistaken for a 15 year old. Some people just have super young looking faces that very slowly age. It's a genetic thing in my case (sister is 40+ and gets mistaken for a 20 year old).

When I joined early with  "stay tuned" still on the screen the mic was picking up on the conversations to set up. I thought it was intentional. Then someone said something like "Chris Martin is number 10." I commented on the feed...Chris Martin?  Soon after, the sound went way down. They were discussing the order of questions, who and how U2 were to be mic'd.  Stuff that should have been sorted out prior, not 5 minutes after the scheduled start time.

Hmm, that makes a lot more sense then. My niece and I were listening in and heard some chatter (sounded like them planning things) and then noticed the audio mysteriously cut out. Again, seems like a very hastily, sloppily arranged video. Disappointing since it's something that they easily could have planned the day before (in less than a half hour) and been better prepared for.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2017, 07:08:32 PM »
When they said they think they should have put Heartland on The Joshua Tree do they mean the version that's on Rattle & Hum or did they record a different, earlier version when making TJT but left it off the album? If so, can that earlier version/demo be heard online anywhere?