Author Topic: TJT 30 MEGA edition  (Read 567 times)

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Master of the Snippet
TJT 30 MEGA edition
« on: March 09, 2017, 06:48:52 AM »
Well, what do you all think? I think it is good, a little too much duplication but a new recording which is good. What I am really looking forward to is the 35th edition.

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Stateless
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
Re: TJT 30 MEGA edition
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 07:07:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What I am really looking forward to is the 35th edition.

Do you think we'll be getting an exclusive demo of the original 1987 recording studio toilet sounds this time?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 07:31:47 AM »
How many different variants are there? I think I am going to buy them all.

Offline Hawkmoon255

• Babyface
Predictably terrible selection options . . .
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 07:46:52 AM »
I mean, if you want the new recordings/remixes and unreleased outtakes, you have to pay in the $120 range, justified by the fact that they're throwing in the original album, which many already have, the B-Sides, which was available for the 20th anniversary edition, and the MSG show in an age where copies of live shows are a dime a dozen.   There should be an option that just has the previously unreleased stuff, maybe both coupled with and without the artwork and shirt.    I wouldn't mind one bit paying $40, $50, $60 for all the unreleased stuff plus the shirt and artwork - but $120 when I already have the album, the B-Sides, and copies of live shows?   Gee whiz.   

I may still get it b/c I'm a hopeless U2 fanatic, but Live Nation is predictable with this kind of crap.  I'll probably wait and see if the tracks become obtainable through some other type of availability first - downloads or whatever, and if not, then buy the thing sometime after the initial release.   I also would like to hear the new Red Hill mix before the tour, but this thing is releasing in June!!

Offline ecadad

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • On Twitter @ecadad1
Re: Predictably terrible selection options . . .
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 07:54:24 AM »
There should be an option that just has the previously unreleased stuff, maybe both coupled with and without the artwork and shirt.    I wouldn't mind one bit paying $40, $50, $60 for all the unreleased stuff plus the shirt and artwork - but $120 when I already have the album, the B-Sides, and copies of live shows? 

You can't really call it a Joshua Tree boxset if you don't include The Joshua Tree album

Offline ecadad

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • On Twitter @ecadad1
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:11:49 AM »

30, one for each year of the album.

(I think there are 3 versions, but 6 package options?)

Offline riffraff

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 08:26:06 AM »
Smart ar*e!

Offline Hawkmoon255

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »
You can't really call it a Joshua Tree boxset if you don't include The Joshua Tree album
[/quote]

(sorry I can't get the quotes to work)

True.  And that's part of the problem.  Instead of releasing new material in more combo options, they feel obligated to release a "full" box set of redundant material.   I have no issue with the profit motive, but from a consumer standpoint it's an unwieldy set of options.   I take your point, but they could have a combo where they include (1) the album itself (so it would still be a sort of box set or sort of anniversary edition), along with (2) the new releases, but exclude the MSG show, the B-Sides, etc.   And they could have this version with or without the shirt and book, although I'd be happy (would prefer, actually) to get the version with the shirt and book.   I'd happily pay, oh, say $76 for all for all that.   Like I said, I may still end up getting it anyway, but it's a tad annoying to be buying the JT and the B-Sides again.   Not the end of the world, but predictable Live Nation stuff.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 12:43:46 PM »

(sorry I can't get the quotes to work)

True.  And that's part of the problem.  Instead of releasing new material in more combo options, they feel obligated to release a "full" box set of redundant material.   I have no issue with the profit motive, but from a consumer standpoint it's an unwieldy set of options.   I take your point, but they could have a combo where they include (1) the album itself (so it would still be a sort of box set or sort of anniversary edition), along with (2) the new releases, but exclude the MSG show, the B-Sides, etc.   And they could have this version with or without the shirt and book, although I'd be happy (would prefer, actually) to get the version with the shirt and book.   I'd happily pay, oh, say $76 for all for all that.   Like I said, I may still end up getting it anyway, but it's a tad annoying to be buying the JT and the B-Sides again.   Not the end of the world, but predictable Live Nation stuff.
[/quote]

If you don't mind passing on the book and stuff, $25 gets you all the audio on iTunes.  Seems the way to go, for me--my CDs only ever serve to be imported to iTunes anyway.  My car still has a CD player, but I can rip a CD of the material I want for the road, if I want.

Offline dchamberlin

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 07:26:15 AM »
I'm disappointed with the shipping and taxes.  ~$16 for shipping from Live Nation and another ~$9 for tax takes the 4 cd set up to ~$152 vs. $125 at Amazon.com. Won't get the shirt but can probably buy it on aliexpress.com sooner rather than later.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 01:24:57 PM »
I love the way that songs originally deemed not good enough to make the final cut are repackaged as "unreleased material" and cost more than the stuff deemed good enough! U2's version of turning a lagging indicator into a leading one! Damn they're good business men

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Master of the Snippet
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 01:45:45 PM »

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • the last to hear the warning
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »
Not a lot there to get me excited, but I am a little interested in the Jacknife Lee mix of Bullet.

If he can capture any of the sound and energy they've been bringing to that track live over the past 20 years or so, I would be happy enough to buy or steal the deluxe edition.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 02:01:22 PM »
Not a lot there to get me excited, but I am a little interested in the Jacknife Lee mix of Bullet.

If he can capture any of the sound and energy they've been bringing to that track live over the past 20 years or so, I would be happy enough to buy or steal the deluxe edition.

I'd say the problem there is that there have already been two great live versions released on CD--R&H, and the Stay single.  I'm curious about the new mixes, but I'm not sure I'm optimistic about them.

BTW, the set is down to "only" $110 on Amazon now.  If they can drop it to $50-60, we might be talking.

Offline Smee

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 11:01:50 AM »

I'd say the problem there is that there have already been two great live versions released on CD--R&H, and the Stay single.  I'm curious about the new mixes, but I'm not sure I'm optimistic about them.

BTW, the set is down to "only" $110 on Amazon now.  If they can drop it to $50-60, we might be talking.

Saw it on Amazon this afternoon...for an eyewatering 187 ($231US)