Author Topic: If they did Pop remixes for the 20 year anniversary  (Read 686 times)

Offline ecadad

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • On Twitter @ecadad1
If they did Pop remixes for the 20 year anniversary
« on: March 09, 2017, 08:08:09 AM »
So the 30th anniversary super mega ultrasize plus bonus features super-dooper edition of TJT includes an album of remixes, including what seems to be many new remixes.

What would you think if they did the same to Pop? Who would remix each track and what sound might they go for? Would it improve the album or should they not ever try to touch those tunes?

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
Re: If they did Pop remixes for the 20 year anniversary
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 08:13:28 AM »
I'm not a big fan of remixes; I prefer live tracks and unreleased stuff. At this point I'd just settle for a good remaster and maybe a vinyl release. If someone like Flood were to go in and remix them then that might be fun to see.

Offline Samcj

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 12:59:13 PM »
A decent amount of songs on the album (Discotheque, Staring at the Sun, Last Night On Earth, Please, and Gone) were all remixed for either the single release of the song or for when they were on The Best of 1990-2000, and in my opinion those versions are much better than the album mixes (especially Please with that great solo during the outro on the single mix)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »
In most cases, I prefer the album versions as they are.  But if they wanted to, I could see them doing a new mix version of the album as bonus content.  They could use the single versions, or the ones that were on the 1990-2000 set, or even all-new stuff.  The problem is, I wouldn't be very hopeful that it would be very good--I mostly didn't like the 1990-2000 versions.  But it could be interesting.

Offline World71R

• Stateless
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 01:14:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A decent amount of songs on the album (Discotheque, Staring at the Sun, Last Night On Earth, Please, and Gone) were all remixed for either the single release of the song or for when they were on The Best of 1990-2000, and in my opinion those versions are much better than the album mixes (especially Please with that great solo during the outro on the single mix)

I disagree about Discotheque. They took away the moody electronic layers that made the song what it ended up being on the album. Although, it was cool to hear some of the underlying guitar layers.

The rest of them definitely benefited from the remixes. I wish they would've remixed Mofo and Miami to sound more like their live counterparts, which were both monsters in a live setting.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 01:32:16 PM »
I also remember thinking, even when Pop was first released, that they could have easily done a "Pop Remix" album.  So many of the tracks already had dance mixes and such, they could have just made a whole dance version of the album.  I'm not saying it would have been the best idea, but it would have fit with the theme and sound of the album.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 01:55:20 PM »
Leave Pop as it is for me....they couldn't improve it for me - they couldn't do something that stands up.

I would though however love to hear full version of those 'Hong Kong mixes' especially Mofo and I'm not your baby....The full versions from 96 - as they were.

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »
I don't want anything. Its INFINITELY better than the Joshua Tree in its original released form. I just wish the bloody band would at least acknowledge that it exits. All this JT c*** and nothing on the greatest album ever made is p****** me off.

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 02:02:42 PM »
Sorry if my last post offend anyone.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 02:09:07 PM »
I don't want anything. Its INFINITELY better than the Joshua Tree in its original released form. I just wish the bloody band would at least acknowledge that it exits. All this JT c*** and nothing on the greatest album ever made is p****** me off.

Don't sit on the fence, spacejunk  :)

You'll get splinters in your ar*e!

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 02:13:25 PM »

Don't sit on the fence, spacejunk  :)

You'll get splinters in your ar*e!

Beggars belief, it really does. Ive been listening to my PopMart recordings - all of them. That show. Sigh! Last Night On Earth from Zeppelinfeld - with the extended guitar outro. Holy smokes its so good.

Off to pull splinters from my ar*e. Much more fun than listening to the JT.

Offline Spaderholic

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 10:13:12 PM »
I just want more thunderous, pounding beats like on Mofo added to some of the tracks. Plus a remix of Miami like the version they played live. Playboy Mansion could do with a whole new sound too. I guess really I'd like a 4-cd set featuring the original album, an alternative version of the album with every track remixed to be more 'dancey', a 'baby' version with all demo versions of the album (including those Hong Kong Mixes) and then the 4th disc would have b-sides and songs they recorded at the time but decided to leave off the album. Also, you remember when Madonna released her Like A Prayer album in 1989, the cd booklet was scented with patchouli oil? Well I want all of the Pop cd's and packaging to be lemon scented! :-)

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 10:25:38 PM »
Well, the band members, particularly Larry, have said on occasion they would like to re-record the album. I'd like to see that released alongside the original, complete with B-sides, remixes, demos, live tracks, documentaries ("Working in the PopMart", anyone?), the works.

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Stateless
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
If they did Pop remixes for the 20 year anniversary
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 02:28:53 AM »
All I want is to hear those "Hong Kong Mixes" from 1996.
The thought that it won't most likely never happen it's a bitter disappointment...

I don't think that Pop should be touched, it's perfectly fine the way it is.

On top of that, if remixing would mean reserving to the songs the same treatment Discothèque had to endure, no thanks.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 03:31:08 AM »
All I want is to hear those "Hong Kong Mixes" from 1996.
The thought that it won't most likely never happen it's a bitter disappointment...

I don't think that Pop should be touched, it's perfectly fine the way it is.

On top of that, if remixing would mean reserving to the songs the same treatment Discothèque had to endure, no thanks.

Those mixes WILL see the light of day, my friend.....they WILL.