Author Topic: Why is nobody discussing Bonnaroo?  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Gearbm95

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Why is nobody discussing Bonnaroo?
« on: March 09, 2017, 08:17:17 AM »
It seems the headlining set at Bonnaroo had got lost in the shuffle on here. I haven't seen one person discuss this show or even mention that they're attending. This looks to be the most exciting show on the your because it'll be in a festival atmosphere and will probably be without their production due to the permanent stage at Bonnaroo...this could lead them to play a different set list.

Also, isn't this the first time U2 had headlined a festival in the US in about 30 years? This will be my 7th year going to Bonnaroo and after witnessing magical headlining sets by Macca, Radiohead, Elton John, Kanye, and Mumford I can't wait to see what U2 brings to the farm.

Offline nunoricardovaz

Re: Why is nobody discussing Bonnaroo?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »
They did Glanstonbury a few years ago.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 11:04:13 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They did Glanstonbury a few years ago.

Glastonbury is in the U.K.; he was pretty specific in saying the US.

More on the subject, while I have no desire to go to mega music festivals, I do think that their doing this is cool, and it has quite the potential to win them over some new, younger fans, to remind some ex-fans of how great of a band they are, and also to silence some of the haters.

Time will tell!

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 03:10:33 PM »
I live two hours from Manchester Tennessee and am instead flying to Tampa. My festival days are long behind me.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 03:36:14 PM »
I live two hours from Manchester Tennessee and am instead flying to Tampa. My festival days are long behind me.
ha ha me too I even live closer like 30 minutes

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 07:29:18 AM »
Because honestly not many U2 fans care... Casual U2 crowd + stagnant setlist + craziness = hot mud pit. 

Offline Gearbm95

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 07:44:43 AM »
You can do a day pass for $180 with an included shuttle ride from Nashville...this is a better value that the headlining shows...The xx, Major Lazer, Kaleo, Cold War Kids, Glass Animals, Portugal The Man, The Stumbellas, and Claude VonStroke are all playing the same day as U2...I can't wait to see all them and then have U2 close it out...if they follow the same scheduling pattern as the past, U2 will probably play 11pm-1am on the main stage...this will be their most high profile show in the US in awhile, can't wait!

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »
You can do a day pass for $180 with an included shuttle ride from Nashville...this is a better value that the headlining shows...The xx, Major Lazer, Kaleo, Cold War Kids, Glass Animals, Portugal The Man, The Stumbellas, and Claude VonStroke are all playing the same day as U2...I can't wait to see all them and then have U2 close it out...if they follow the same scheduling pattern as the past, U2 will probably play 11pm-1am on the main stage...this will be their most high profile show in the US in awhile, can't wait!

Honestly, if I lived closer to TN and didn't already have a bunch of other concerts lined up this summer, I'd definitely consider going to 'Roo this year. As it is, 'Roo or a concert festival similar to it is on my bucket list. When I first heard about U2 headlining 'Roo (this would have been back in December probably) I was VERY keen on going, but again, all these other concerts were announced, I didn't like many of the other artists playing 'Roo, so I couldn't justify the cost of a hotel, transportation, tickets for the actual event etc.

I think the reason why people aren't talking about it much here is U2's fanbase tends to skew 30s+. Festivals tend to attract younger folks (under 30) in droves moreso than those who are 30s+. There won't be a ton of die hard U2 fans at 'Roo, but there probably will be a lot of people who attend and are excited to get to see a legendary band on the stage. So I think the crowd will be very into U2 and U2 should put on an incredible festival show. Won't be quite the same as a regular U2 concert, but should still be really good.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 09:27:24 AM »
It's so hot in TN in June anyone that lives here cannot fathom being outside that long during that time of year.  I just can camp out and stay in the heat that long.  It's so brutal here.  If the festival was in Michigan or Massachusetts maybe I'd go.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 04:53:45 PM »
It's so hot in TN in June anyone that lives here cannot fathom being outside that long during that time of year.  I just can camp out and stay in the heat that long.  It's so brutal here.  If the festival was in Michigan or Massachusetts maybe I'd go.

I can't speak for Massachusetts, but I can tell you that even in June, Michigan can still have 90+ degree days sometimes and it is very hot/muggy due to the humidity. We had a ridiculous number of 90+ degree days last summer.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • I'm only hanging on to watch you go down my love
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 05:12:26 PM »
For a casual audience they'll play a greatest hits set.

Offline peggy2ten

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »
Thought about going in my RV, but campsites are very expensive and if I stayed in a hotel, getting to the festival and back would be a hassle.  Just not worthwhile for an abbreviated, greatest hits set.

Offline marcovox

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 06:22:21 PM »
It seems the headlining set at Bonnaroo had got lost in the shuffle on here. I haven't seen one person discuss this show or even mention that they're attending. This looks to be the most exciting show on the your because it'll be in a festival atmosphere and will probably be without their production due to the permanent stage at Bonnaroo...this could lead them to play a different set list.

Check my history.  I mentioned it in January when the lineup dropped.  And then proceed to feel incredibly, incredibly, disappointed. 

I stopped posting because there is some just, immense, immovable, xenophobic, almost immigrant-backward-mentality when Bonnaroo is mentioned here. 

It's like talking to a wall.  I just don't get it.  I would have thought the fanbase would accepted it with open arms.  In fact, the exact opposite happened--it has really surprised me. 

I really thought /r/bonnaroo was going to hate it and just complain all the way up to and during the festival.  There were complaints for the first two weeks, about U2 and that admittedly poor under-card, but the mantra Radiate Positivity has shone through.   The hate is almost non-existent and people are hyped for U2 now, and it's incredible.  Whereas before I thought for sure here on @U2 people would be going nuts.  I thought my brother and one of my best friends would finally come to Bonnaroo after me singing its praises all these years; I thought "U2 is on the lineup?  Oh, this is a done deal".  My brother has a tight work schedule so I get it, my other friend just doesn't seem interested now and it looks like he's falling through.

You know what... it's incredibly disappointing.  It's incredibly sad.  I think you just have to let go of the fact the majority--and I mean like 90%, maybe even 95%--of U2 fans are not made up of people that seek a unique and interesting experience.   And that's so... backwards.  Here is a band that has the biggest fanbase in the world, with so much passion it drives them to make documentaries, hold conferences, etc. etc., and yet, the thought of doing Bonnaroo doesn't excite them.  I don't get it. 

I want what I have with U2 fans what I have when I saw Radiohead at Bonnaroo.  But it's just not going to happen.  And I just don't get it. 

One of few reasons for not wanting to do Bonnaroo that I've been met with are some of the weakest arguments.  1, is the heat/camping.  Listen, if 80 000 people can do it at Coachella, Bonnaroo, Burning Man, Glastonbury, and many other camping festivals on this planet, you can too.  It's not impossible.  And it's not like, it's a chore.  When you go camping, you let go right?  You don't care so much about your appearance, etc. right?  Okay, so just... think of doing that... now add... being in the craziest, most positive and welcoming carnival on Earth, headlined by... your favorite band.

Simple.  Straight forward.  To the point.  Yet I get a response as sensible as a line out of Idiocracy.

Like I said it's like talking to a wall.  It's like, here's the facts, here's everything... this is everything you need to know.  It's a guaranteed that it's going to be one of the most memorable weekends of your life.  But nope...

I dunno... like I don't know.  I just don't know.  I don't get it. 

2+2=4

U2 + Bonnaroo  = one of the best weekends of your life, if not the best. 

"Nah I'm good, I'm gonna go to Ikea and pick out a new couch". 

Can't wait for your grandkids to hear that wild story.

Offline teacher_mommy_u2fan

• Stateless
  • Dreaming Out Loud
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 10:16:06 PM »
I'm also in TN and just a few hours from Manchester and not going, even though it's killing me to skip it. It's logistics and cost. My oldest 2 children have their own things going on, and we don't have anyone who could watch our 2 youngest. We're going to Cleveland in July and taking everyone.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 07:55:14 AM »
I'm also in TN and just a few hours from Manchester and not going, even though it's killing me to skip it. It's logistics and cost. My oldest 2 children have their own things going on, and we don't have anyone who could watch our 2 youngest. We're going to Cleveland in July and taking everyone.
a lot of us U2 fans have kids and festivals just aren't something we can work out with the kids schedules. If this was 15 years or even 10 years ago I'd have been there!