Author Topic: Why is nobody discussing Bonnaroo?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Gearbm95

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Why is nobody discussing Bonnaroo?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 03:09:06 PM »
This is the only show on the tour that doesn't seem to be getting any hype around here. I don't even think it has a thread for the show itself in the "Shows" forum.

If you snooze on this show I think you'll truly regret it. This will be the only show on the tour that won't have the restrictions of the touring production and will allow them to play a unique setlist. Also, if history is any indication U2 will have a 2.5hr slot on the main stage, probably starting at 10:30 or 11, and Bonnaroo has no sound ordinance, music goes until sunrise. This could be a really special show.

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 09:02:53 AM »
Greatest Hits isn't filed under the same listing as unique.

I'm sure it will be great though.

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It seems the headlining set at Bonnaroo had got lost in the shuffle on here. I haven't seen one person discuss this show or even mention that they're attending. This looks to be the most exciting show on the your because it'll be in a festival atmosphere and will probably be without their production due to the permanent stage at Bonnaroo...this could lead them to play a different set list.

Also, isn't this the first time U2 had headlined a festival in the US in about 30 years? This will be my 7th year going to Bonnaroo and after witnessing magical headlining sets by Macca, Radiohead, Elton John, Kanye, and Mumford I can't wait to see what U2 brings to the farm.

Nothing against the festival but I just don't want to see U2 in a festival setting.. Dunno why... U2 is just not a festival band to me.  I also live in California and am not traveling across the country for some festival just because U2 is there.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:55:41 AM by jgrooms »

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 11:59:51 AM »
If you snooze on this show I think you'll truly regret it. This will be the only show on the tour that won't have the restrictions of the touring production and will allow them to play a unique setlist.

I seriously doubt they will deviate much from their standard tunes. Have they ever done that in any radical way? No.

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 07:38:56 AM »
It seems the headlining set at Bonnaroo had got lost in the shuffle on here. I haven't seen one person discuss this show or even mention that they're attending. This looks to be the most exciting show on the your because it'll be in a festival atmosphere and will probably be without their production due to the permanent stage at Bonnaroo...this could lead them to play a different set list.

Check my history.  I mentioned it in January when the lineup dropped.  And then proceed to feel incredibly, incredibly, disappointed. 

I stopped posting because there is some just, immense, immovable, xenophobic, almost immigrant-backward-mentality when Bonnaroo is mentioned here. 

It's like talking to a wall.  I just don't get it.  I would have thought the fanbase would accepted it with open arms.  In fact, the exact opposite happened--it has really surprised me. 

I really thought /r/bonnaroo was going to hate it and just complain all the way up to and during the festival.  There were complaints for the first two weeks, about U2 and that admittedly poor under-card, but the mantra Radiate Positivity has shone through.   The hate is almost non-existent and people are hyped for U2 now, and it's incredible.  Whereas before I thought for sure here on @U2 people would be going nuts.  I thought my brother and one of my best friends would finally come to Bonnaroo after me singing its praises all these years; I thought "U2 is on the lineup?  Oh, this is a done deal".  My brother has a tight work schedule so I get it, my other friend just doesn't seem interested now and it looks like he's falling through.

You know what... it's incredibly disappointing.  It's incredibly sad.  I think you just have to let go of the fact the majority--and I mean like 90%, maybe even 95%--of U2 fans are not made up of people that seek a unique and interesting experience.   And that's so... backwards.  Here is a band that has the biggest fanbase in the world, with so much passion it drives them to make documentaries, hold conferences, etc. etc., and yet, the thought of doing Bonnaroo doesn't excite them.  I don't get it. 

I want what I have with U2 fans what I have when I saw Radiohead at Bonnaroo.  But it's just not going to happen.  And I just don't get it. 

One of few reasons for not wanting to do Bonnaroo that I've been met with are some of the weakest arguments.  1, is the heat/camping.  Listen, if 80 000 people can do it at Coachella, Bonnaroo, Burning Man, Glastonbury, and many other camping festivals on this planet, you can too.  It's not impossible.  And it's not like, it's a chore.  When you go camping, you let go right?  You don't care so much about your appearance, etc. right?  Okay, so just... think of doing that... now add... being in the craziest, most positive and welcoming carnival on Earth, headlined by... your favorite band.

Simple.  Straight forward.  To the point.  Yet I get a response as sensible as a line out of Idiocracy.

Like I said it's like talking to a wall.  It's like, here's the facts, here's everything... this is everything you need to know.  It's a guaranteed that it's going to be one of the most memorable weekends of your life.  But nope...

I dunno... like I don't know.  I just don't know.  I don't get it. 

2+2=4

U2 + Bonnaroo  = one of the best weekends of your life, if not the best. 

"Nah I'm good, I'm gonna go to Ikea and pick out a new couch". 

Can't wait for your grandkids to hear that wild story.

I have been a die hard U2 fan since the 80s...been to lots of shows... I'm a 38 year old guy with a family.  We don't even do "glamping" let alone camping.  I used to do music festivals...went to Woodstock 1999 when I was in college, and some others out here in the Midwest in the early 2000s.  Just not my scene anymore.  I don't generally like large crowds or sweltering heat.  Aside from U2, I couldn't even name a song from any of the bands on the Bonnaroo lineup aside from RHCP (whom I don't like) and Greensky Bluegrass (who I like, but would rather see in a smaller venue).  I mean if they had Tom Petty, Sting/Police or Springsteen in there I would maybe think about it...

I like going to U2 shows...but the festival feels like a non-U2 show that just happens to have U2 there.

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 08:09:01 AM »
Also, keep in mind people generally listen to music from their age - so I listen to U2, my dad listens to a lot of Rolling Stones and The Who, my grandpa listens to a lot of Sinatra.  My grandpa doesn't really listen to U2 and my dad doesn't listen to Kanye.  U2 is of my age.  RHCP is of my age.  I mean I also like Stones and Sinatra, but I am really too young to have any growing up experiences with them.  But after you are done growing up, your tastes are pretty much set...so you don't venture out a ton for new music (the only area I do is jazz music...I am always listening to new artists). 

Result: all those other bands on the lineup are way off my radar...I suppose I could just go for the U2 portion, but wouldn't I rather go to a show in NYC where I can get a hotel room and do some other things, and then just show up at the concert??
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:17:31 AM by aviastar »

Offline Gearbm95

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 03:09:21 PM »

Check my history.  I mentioned it in January when the lineup dropped.  And then proceed to feel incredibly, incredibly, disappointed. 

I stopped posting because there is some just, immense, immovable, xenophobic, almost immigrant-backward-mentality when Bonnaroo is mentioned here. 

It's like talking to a wall.  I just don't get it.  I would have thought the fanbase would accepted it with open arms.  In fact, the exact opposite happened--it has really surprised me. 

I really thought /r/bonnaroo was going to hate it and just complain all the way up to and during the festival.  There were complaints for the first two weeks, about U2 and that admittedly poor under-card, but the mantra Radiate Positivity has shone through.   The hate is almost non-existent and people are hyped for U2 now, and it's incredible.  Whereas before I thought for sure here on @U2 people would be going nuts.  I thought my brother and one of my best friends would finally come to Bonnaroo after me singing its praises all these years; I thought "U2 is on the lineup?  Oh, this is a done deal".  My brother has a tight work schedule so I get it, my other friend just doesn't seem interested now and it looks like he's falling through.

You know what... it's incredibly disappointing.  It's incredibly sad.  I think you just have to let go of the fact the majority--and I mean like 90%, maybe even 95%--of U2 fans are not made up of people that seek a unique and interesting experience.   And that's so... backwards.  Here is a band that has the biggest fanbase in the world, with so much passion it drives them to make documentaries, hold conferences, etc. etc., and yet, the thought of doing Bonnaroo doesn't excite them.  I don't get it. 

I want what I have with U2 fans what I have when I saw Radiohead at Bonnaroo.  But it's just not going to happen.  And I just don't get it. 

One of few reasons for not wanting to do Bonnaroo that I've been met with are some of the weakest arguments.  1, is the heat/camping.  Listen, if 80 000 people can do it at Coachella, Bonnaroo, Burning Man, Glastonbury, and many other camping festivals on this planet, you can too.  It's not impossible.  And it's not like, it's a chore.  When you go camping, you let go right?  You don't care so much about your appearance, etc. right?  Okay, so just... think of doing that... now add... being in the craziest, most positive and welcoming carnival on Earth, headlined by... your favorite band.

Simple.  Straight forward.  To the point.  Yet I get a response as sensible as a line out of Idiocracy.

Like I said it's like talking to a wall.  It's like, here's the facts, here's everything... this is everything you need to know.  It's a guaranteed that it's going to be one of the most memorable weekends of your life.  But nope...

I dunno... like I don't know.  I just don't know.  I don't get it. 

2+2=4

U2 + Bonnaroo  = one of the best weekends of your life, if not the best. 

"Nah I'm good, I'm gonna go to Ikea and pick out a new couch". 

Can't wait for your grandkids to hear that wild story.

I have been a die hard U2 fan since the 80s...been to lots of shows... I'm a 38 year old guy with a family.  We don't even do "glamping" let alone camping.  I used to do music festivals...went to Woodstock 1999 when I was in college, and some others out here in the Midwest in the early 2000s.  Just not my scene anymore.  I don't generally like large crowds or sweltering heat.  Aside from U2, I couldn't even name a song from any of the bands on the Bonnaroo lineup aside from RHCP (whom I don't like) and Greensky Bluegrass (who I like, but would rather see in a smaller venue).  I mean if they had Tom Petty, Sting/Police or Springsteen in there I would maybe think about it...

I like going to U2 shows...but the festival feels like a non-U2 show that just happens to have U2 there.

You've only ever heard of RHCP on this lineup? How have you never heard The xx, The Weeknd, Cage The Elephant, Lorde, Tegan & Sara, etc?

Bonnaroo was the only exciting tour date I saw when they announced the tour. Hearing The Joshua Tree in a stadium filled with yuppies and baby boomers seems like just more of the same from their last tours. To see them actually headline a culturally significant event in 2017 at a world renowned festival is a no-brainer for me.

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
Why is nobody discussing Bonnaroo?
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 03:55:47 PM »

You've only ever heard of RHCP on this lineup? How have you never heard The xx, The Weeknd, Cage The Elephant, Lorde, Tegan & Sara, etc?

I have heard of a Lorde song but that's only because I am a Royals fan and they played it at our local baseball stadium.  I stopped following new, non-U2 rock somewhere around 2003...I have been a jazz musician since high school and aside from U2 and some older rock acts (police, talking heads, springsteen, counting crows, DMB) it's almost all jazz for me.  I know a little about lady Gaga because I unwittingly saw her in concert (I+e show at MSG).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:59:46 PM by aviastar »

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »

I've heard of Lorde, only because of South Park.. The other bands you list ... who?  Couldn't name a single song, or even describe what genre or style they are.

Offline mattso88

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »
It's the closest they will be to me and I will be there. I am a young college student though, so I understand why many U2 fans wouldn't want to go with age and kids.

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 03:08:27 PM »
I'm shocked no ones compared the names. Bono n bonoroo, would a bono roo if  a bono too, only at bonoroo, where bono roo in bonaroo with bono too

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 08:24:31 AM »
It's the closest they will be to me and I will be there. I am a young college student though, so I understand why many U2 fans wouldn't want to go with age and kids.
There will be one neat thing to pay attention to...

This will not be a full fledged U2 crowd, so it will be interesting to see how hard they have to work to earn the crowd. They will get the crowd going, but will be neat to watch them work maybe a wee bit harder to make it happen.

Might give the show a different perspective to see the crowd fall under the spell of the band.

Offline andy__peterson

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2017, 12:00:14 PM »
My speculation is the LiveNation boys are going to discover that spending $$$$$ on U2 is not going to solve their Bonnaroo attendance issues. A few things at play from my POV:

1. I'm guessing we are mostly over 40, and there's very little at this festival for us besides U2. No Wilco, MMJ, Dawes, Petty, DMB, etc. (insert dad-rock joke here) as there has been in the past
2. There exists a general mis-perception among this age group, of which I am a part, about Bonnaroo that involves drugs, difficulty, expense and inconvenience. This is even among people in Nashville (where I have lived for 20 years) who really should know better.
3. That said, Bonnaroo is kind of a pain in the ar*e to access and yes it's hot AF -- and yes it ain't cheap. So why not drive to Louisville which is less than 3-hrs away? Seriously I cannot believe LN allowed that show to happen.

I am an 11-time Bonnaroo veteran. My experience allows me to look past all the challenges that exist and be confident this is going to be an absolutely epic performance on a massive scale. I'm very much looking forward to being there, but in the past decade I've witnessed an evolution in creative direction of this festival that is now on stun given LN's involvement. And I fully expect this year, my 12th, to be my last year on the farm. I'll go down singing.

Also hedging my best and going to Seattle & Chicago as well.

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2017, 10:25:52 AM »
Greatest Hits isn't filed under the same listing as unique.

I'm sure it will be great though.

I agree, Will the show be filmed / streamed live? What's the history with Bonnaroo? Do they have a streaming channel?

Offline andy__peterson

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 07:56:05 PM »
Yes. Bonnaroo typically is streaming.