Author Topic: A glimmer of hope for real fans ( re:Ticket Scapling)  (Read 763 times)

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
A glimmer of hope for real fans ( re:Ticket Scapling)
« on: March 11, 2017, 04:32:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: A glimmer of hope for real fans ( re:Ticket Scapling)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 04:40:46 AM »
About time. Wonder how tough the gov will really be about it though? As for differentiation between real fans who can no longer go, tickets should be listed at face value or listed with the fees/postage you paid on top. Just making your money back and that's it. That's what i recently did with a foos Paris concert ticket when a mate dropped out.

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 02:41:43 PM »
The issue isn't bots or scalpers, it's the fact that tickets are transferable from the original purchaser.  Follow the airline ticket model (non transferable, non refundable) and this problem is solved.  Yeah yeah, "I can't go anymore because <insert excuse here>".  Well tough luck.  Any "no shows" that haven't entered the venue 60 minutes (or whatever time is deemed reasonable) before the show get released back to the box office for last minute "day of" sales to fill the arena.

This is an easy problem to solve, if they wanted to, but as soon as you include an option to transfer a ticket to someone else, scalpers take over. 

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 02:49:14 PM »
whilst the likes of ticketmaster are allowed to legally run touting sites then it is all fair game imo....shut then down and then have a conversation about the problem

Offline Bantering ram

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 03:06:21 AM »
Has anyone heard of Dice? It's a paperless ticketing app that provides the concert goer with a unique barcode/animation combination so it's impossible to simply take a screenshot or forward on to anyone else AND it doesn't charge a booking fee! I've also been able to sell my tickets back to Dice if I've been unable to attend the show. A breath of fresh air!!

The main limitation is that they only launched as a startup in 2014 so it's a fairly small proportion of Artists that they cover, but they do a lot of festivals and loads of up and coming singers/bands (including a lot of big names too) so i'm always keeping an eye out. I'm currently being tempted by some Sampha and Jamiroquai tickets :)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 03:25:15 AM »
whilst the likes of ticketmaster are allowed to legally run touting sites then it is all fair game imo....shut then down and then have a conversation about the problem
Exactly. They could stop it in 5 mins with minimal overhead.

ID on tickets for all ticket holders, like glastonbury, splendour etc.

Can't go? That's fine. You can resell BUT through the initial channel. You can't specify who you're selling to, just that you're selling to someone who will be subjected to the same controls

Tickets agents will still make money from fees on resale, and if you think it's risky, take out their ticket insurance at $5 a ticket in case you get sick.

I've posted this before.

It's so simple. But the desire has to be there. Artists like U2 could fix this in a heartbeat through their livenation /Ticketmaster unholy Alliance, but they don't really care as they are beholden to a company that make a packet off scalping. Really think they will come out against it?

Think again.

Offline Kmama07

• Party Girl/Boy
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 07:06:13 AM »
Too much money to be made to shut down so I don't see that conversation happening. Artists keep saying they don't profit from secondary ticketmaster sites but I sure don't see the bulk of them "banding together" to put a stop to it.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 07:38:37 AM »
Exactly. Any big artists complaining about their fans' access to tickets are crying crocodile tears. Hit the agencies where it hurts if you need to.

Big artists, especially those in bed with Live Nation could stop this in a split second if they wanted to.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 08:31:13 AM »
Too much money to be made to shut down so I don't see that conversation happening. Artists keep saying they don't profit from secondary ticketmaster sites but I sure don't see the bulk of them "banding together" to put a stop to it.

Yup - so if these massive companies can have their noses in the trough then it is fair game for enterprising people to find a way to get a piece of the action as well.

The artists largely don't seem to care and in my view directly or indirectly have their noses in the trough too. The legalised touts are paying them big money and some of that big money is earned from their legalised touting....I applaud those who are clever enough to get a slice of the action as well. Once touting was legalised and these multi billion pound organisations were given a licence to print money then of course people would want to get a slice of the action for themselves.

Sadly it is average Joe Public who gets the sh**ty end of the stick though.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:37:10 AM by an tha »

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 08:41:08 AM »
Does this thread/conversation include the "resale" tickets that are actually on the ticketmaster site? I'm sorry...I'm confused...is it just about scalpers?

Offline paganini12345

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 12:51:48 PM »
Yeah yeah, "I can't go anymore because <insert excuse here>".  Well tough luck.  Any "no shows" that haven't entered the venue 60 minutes (or whatever time is deemed reasonable) before the show get released back to the box office for last minute "day of" sales to fill the arena.

This is nonsense.
Some people have a lives to lead and have legitimate reasons for missing a concert. Airtravel involves a security risk, going to concerts does not.
What about a father who buys tickets for his kids to go to a pop concert who does not want to go himself?
What about people who can't get to the venue hours before because they are working, travel issues, family to feed? 

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 03:17:10 PM »
I hate to say this, but complaining about scalping is about as useful as protesting death and taxes. TM has seen what people are willing to pay on the secondary market. Some bands -- I am looking at the Rolling Stones here -- have jacked up their own face prices and their own cuts of the pie to cut the touts out of it, while for other acts that keep prices down, it is TM who can skim off the top. Look around, guys. Go to Walmart.com. When they sell out of some items, they will allow third-party vendors to list the item for jacked-up prices.

It only stops if we don't pay it.

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »
Yeah yeah, "I can't go anymore because <insert excuse here>".  Well tough luck.  Any "no shows" that haven't entered the venue 60 minutes (or whatever time is deemed reasonable) before the show get released back to the box office for last minute "day of" sales to fill the arena.

This is nonsense.
Some people have a lives to lead and have legitimate reasons for missing a concert. Airtravel involves a security risk, going to concerts does not.
What about a father who buys tickets for his kids to go to a pop concert who does not want to go himself?
What about people who can't get to the venue hours before because they are working, travel issues, family to feed?

Nonsense or not, if you allow tickets to be resold you will never get rid of scalping.  Scalpers will always find a way to manipulate the transfer of tickets to their benefit.  Pick your poison.

Offline Kmama07

• Party Girl/Boy
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 05:48:45 PM »
Does this thread/conversation include the "resale" tickets that are actually on the ticketmaster site? I'm sorry...I'm confused...is it just about scalpers?
Yes.