Author Topic: Current Music stats : Quite sad state of affairs  (Read 276 times)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
Current Music stats : Quite sad state of affairs
« on: March 11, 2017, 08:14:52 PM »
Chris Martin has another Top 10 ...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online riffraff

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
Re: Current Music stats : Quite sad state of affairs
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 05:42:47 AM »
I think this is why I hardly ever listen to the radio...

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 07:39:30 AM »
I never listen to the radio. Life's too short to let someone else control your playlist.

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 08:42:27 AM »
There is PLENTY of great music available on the radio, just not thro mainstream stations tho. My radio channel of choice these days is BBC6Music. Loads of great stuff played on there. No chart crap gets played

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 08:44:51 AM »
And the difference between what Chinsmokers managed compared to The Beatles is......The Beatles likely shifted many Millions of singles to achieve what they did. Chainsmokers likely did it with about 100 000 sales!

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 01:40:07 PM »
I recently started following this Youtuber who reviews music with a humorous spin. He went over the top 10 best and top 10 worst songs in 2016. I was shocked at how terrible ALL of the songs were. I could count maybe 2-3 songs that were decent and the rest were awful.

I don't listen to a lot of pop radio these days (actually, I never listen to it at all) so I just assumed it was as bad as it was in 2014. 2014 looks amazing compared to what was popular in 2016, though.

What's worth remembering about pop radio is that there have been times in the past where things looked bleak. Look at some of the trash on the radio back in '84/'85 and then good stuff came into prominence (stuff like Guns, U2, INXS etc.). Same thing with '95/'96 where the Macarena was inescapable....couple years after that, you had some pretty stellar pop-rock/alternative music. Then again around '00 when stuff like "Steal My Sunshine" and "Who Let The Dogs Out" was HUGE. Eventually good pop-rock songs (like early Maroon 5, Jet, Franz Ferdinand) took over the airwaves around '03/'04.

If you look back over the last several years, you can still see some good artists breaking through. They're not my cup of tea, but Mumford & Sons put out some pretty solid music and were huge on the radio a few years back. Same with Fun and Imagine Dragons. Heck, even OneRepublic is tolerable with most of their music and I don't totally hate Ed Sheeran.

I think at this point, pop radio is close to getting burnt out on electronic-infused music. When every song sounds the same, when every song is devoid of solid lyrics or vocals or musicality...you've got a problem. Pop radio is just begging for a solid alternative or rock artist to take the radio by storm. An artist that crafts good, catchy tracks. Someone with good, unique vocals and interesting lyrics. Rock and alternative could have a new birth in terms of pop relevance if the right artist comes along. 

The question is, who is this going to be? My bet is on a brand new artist, someone we probably haven't even heard of yet. The beauty of today's music world is that the barrier to entry is easier than ever before. Songs can be recorded and mixed inexpensively on personal computers or even iPhones; they can be released easily on Spotify or YouTube. All it takes is going viral to get catapulted up the pop charts.

What I find funny, and this ties somewhat into U2, is how danceable alternative pop-rock seems to be doing well on the radio. Take, for instance, "Adventure Of A Lifetime" by Coldplay. It received quite a bit of air play and has been described by others as having a bit of a disco/dance beat to it. U2 already did this in '97 with Discotheque and it was poorly received. What if the guys were younger and put Discotheque out today? I have a sneaking suspicion the track would have been much bigger. Seems like U2 were way ahead of their time with that and the rest of the Pop album.

Online riffraff

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 02:33:58 PM »
Well, all I know is that I had to take a five minute drive this morning. Since it was a short drive, I didn't do what I normally do... which is to grab a cd. I turned on the radio...pushed all the pre-set buttons. Absolutely nothing worth listening to. Turned it off. Left it off.

Offline Nico

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 02:48:03 PM »
Ed Sheeran holds 14 of the top 15 in the U.K. Official charts singles this week. Ridicuolous

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 04:13:43 PM »
Well, all I know is that I had to take a five minute drive this morning. Since it was a short drive, I didn't do what I normally do... which is to grab a cd. I turned on the radio...pushed all the pre-set buttons. Absolutely nothing worth listening to. Turned it off. Left it off.

Same thing I've found in the few times I've tried to listen to the radio over the last year. Always end up flipping over to whatever CD I have in or streaming a playlist from my iPhone.

Ed Sheeran holds 14 of the top 15 in the U.K. Official charts singles this week. Ridicuolous

People seem to enjoy his music (inoffensive acoustic pop-rock). This is what I mean. This is a market that clearly can still be hot. Artists just need to tap into it.

It speaks volumes that he holds so many spots. It says that the rest of the "music" on pop radio is such garbage that one decent artist can dominate as Sheeran has.

Offline trevgreg

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
I'm fortunate enough to live in a bigger area where there's actually a few decent terrestrial stations. Two of them are fairly new and play alternative/indie stuff and another one is well-known for it's "adult alternative" format. Even one of the modern adult contemporary Clear Channel stations doesn't play stuff that's completely crap. Throw in two rock stations and one with a JACK format on top of that, and going through the car presets is surprisingly decent!

I do primarily find things online and through the Internet in terms of new stuff though. I've also been getting more into the Spotify playlists for some recommendations, especially the "Discover Weekly" one (which I'm listening to right now, weirdly enough).

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 09:30:07 AM »
I happened to hear an amazing new track on the radio this weekend.  "Loveless", by Lo Moon.  Album's not even out yet, but holy cow, if you like big, dramatic ear candy, I was blown away.

Offline Kmama07

• Stateless
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 11:29:56 AM »

I couldn't name ONE song by him.

Offline cocamojoe

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 06:24:23 AM »

According to Wikipedia, the Billboard Hot 100 didn't exist until 1984, so their comparing it to the Beatles in the 60s and BeeGee's in the 70s is kind of anachronistic, imo.

Also, as there is some legitimately good electronica music out there (i.e., Pretty Lights, Bonobo, Thievery Corporation), it makes me sad to see the Chainsmokers be as popular as they are.

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 08:46:30 PM »

According to Wikipedia, the Billboard Hot 100 didn't exist until 1984, so their comparing it to the Beatles in the 60s and BeeGee's in the 70s is kind of anachronistic, imo.

Also, as there is some legitimately good electronica music out there (i.e., Pretty Lights, Bonobo, Thievery Corporation), it makes me sad to see the Chainsmokers be as popular as they are.

What astounds me about the Chainsmokers is that the music they put out there isn't particularly catchy and definitely isn't good. Yet they seem to be having hit after hit. As you pointed out, though, the comparison the article makes is not entirely fair. And I'll LOL at anyone who ever puts them on the level of the Beatles or even the Bee Gees. Get real.

I've never been a fan of electronic music, but even I know there are better electronic artists out there than Chainsmokers.

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 09:46:33 AM »
I see Rhianna is in on the action now....equaling (maybe even beating) Elvis's reocrd of 22 top 5 hits. Difference is, Elvis managed his feat, when there was a LOT of competition and talent around. He Also sold singles by the million.
Rhianna can get top 5 with around 50 000 sales these days!